View Poll Results: How is your battery life after upgrading to 1.3.5 or 1.3.5.1?

Voters
258. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have stock WebOS (no homebrew) and my battery life is better

    38 14.73%
  • I have stock WebOS (no homebrew) and my battery life is worse

    32 12.40%
  • I have homebrew, and my battery life is better

    51 19.77%
  • I have homebrew, and my battery life is worse

    54 20.93%
  • I have homebrew, including quake, doom, classic invaders or super tux and my battery life is better

    39 15.12%
  • I have homebrew, including quake, doom, classic invaders or super tux and my battery life is worse

    34 13.18%
  • I have other scenario (please include in comments) and my battery life is better

    3 1.16%
  • I have other scenario (please include in comments) and my battery life is worse

    7 2.71%
Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415161722 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 240 of 449
  1. #221  
    Ian, first off, I've been experiencing massive batt drain since 1.3.5. update.

    Got to work 1 hr. ago with wifi off. I had taken my pre off the charger this morning about 30 min. before getting to work and when I got to work it still showed 99%.

    Turned wifi on and within 20 min. I was down to 80%.

    I just tried the netstat -s test and here are the results.

    Type Value before sleep Value after 5 min sleep

    IP 32419 in 33085 out 32693 in 33303 out

    TCP 30617 in 29772 out 30801 in 29969 out

    UDP 1850 in 1921 out 1868 in 1939 out

    It's now 1 hr. 15 min. since I turned wifi on and I'm down to 71%

    Hope this helps.

    Jan
  2. #222  
    This is NOT a Wifi \ BT \ Radio issue. Observe:

    Busted my phone and got a replacement on Wed. They moved my old battery over to the new phone. Old phone had 1.3.1, and acceptable battery life with all the obvious email settings and stuff set appropriately. I used the phone pretty heavily all day (setting it up, telling everyone I had a phone again, etc) with no noticable battery issues. I updated it to 1.3.5.1 that evening approx 6 pm. By 9 pm my battery had gone from ~60% to 10%, giving me a critical battery message. All I had done in this span was some light texting.

    I went home, and plugged the phone in, charging it to about 40%. Then went to bed with it unplugged, TURNED AIRPLANE MODE ON as per usual, and woke up to a dead phone. It absolutely whatsoever cannot be a radio issue if it still does it with airplane mode on. In the past I'd sleep with airplane mode on so I don't have to wait for the reboot if I turn the power off, and my battery would be maybe 5% less.

    Plugged it into my computer at work, and noticed after an hour that the battery had only increased by 2%, whereas in the past on the same computer I would get about 40% in an hour. Mind you I didn't do ANYTHING with the phone in that span, just let it sit and charge. Something is SERIOUSLY tagging the battery , and it's not a communications thing.

    Here are the non-stock apps \ patches \ services I have installed:

    LinkedIn
    Accuweather Pro
    Fandango
    MyTether
    Preware
    Package Manager Service
    Agenda
    Diffstat
    GNU Patch
    Enable LED Notifications
    Unhide Dev Mode Icon

    And THAT'S IT. Mind you, these are all things I had installed BEFORE the new OS, and all was well. I have not tried 1.3.5, as I went straight to 1.3.5.1
  3. Zyphlin's Avatar
    Posts
    564 Posts
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    #223  
    Same issue as the guy above. My phone was losing battery all through the night. Got to work today and plugged it into charge at 10% battery. I put it in airport mode. I've done NOTHING else with it and its not at 0% battery with the charger still plugged in.
  4. #224  
    Alright, rebooting now. 10:34AM CST, Battery 24%. I'll check it in an hour.

    Ha- after 50 second reboot, now I'm at 27%. O_o
  5. #225  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrducklumps1 View Post
    So, Im wondering...is it safe to upgrade to 1.3.5.1? I dont want to have to Dr back to 1.3.5. :/

    The only thing this ver changed was the exhanmge calendar sync. If you're not using an exchange calendar, then go back to 1.3.5 and let us know what happens.
  6. jut
    jut is offline
    jut's Avatar
    Posts
    46 Posts
    #226  
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyx View Post
    This is NOT a Wifi \ BT \ Radio issue. Observe:

    Busted my phone and got a replacement on Wed. They moved my old battery over to the new phone. Old phone had 1.3.1, and acceptable battery life with all the obvious email settings and stuff set appropriately. I used the phone pretty heavily all day (setting it up, telling everyone I had a phone again, etc) with no noticable battery issues. I updated it to 1.3.5.1 that evening approx 6 pm. By 9 pm my battery had gone from ~60% to 10%, giving me a critical battery message. All I had done in this span was some light texting.

    I went home, and plugged the phone in, charging it to about 40%. Then went to bed with it unplugged, TURNED AIRPLANE MODE ON as per usual, and woke up to a dead phone. It absolutely whatsoever cannot be a radio issue if it still does it with airplane mode on. In the past I'd sleep with airplane mode on so I don't have to wait for the reboot if I turn the power off, and my battery would be maybe 5% less.

    Plugged it into my computer at work, and noticed after an hour that the battery had only increased by 2%, whereas in the past on the same computer I would get about 40% in an hour. Mind you I didn't do ANYTHING with the phone in that span, just let it sit and charge. Something is SERIOUSLY tagging the battery , and it's not a communications thing.

    Here are the non-stock apps \ patches \ services I have installed:

    LinkedIn
    Accuweather Pro
    Fandango
    MyTether
    Preware
    Package Manager Service
    Agenda
    Diffstat
    GNU Patch
    Enable LED Notifications
    Unhide Dev Mode Icon

    And THAT'S IT. Mind you, these are all things I had installed BEFORE the new OS, and all was well. I have not tried 1.3.5, as I went straight to 1.3.5.1
    Sounds like you have a different problem than most. If wifi is turned off I get about 1.5% battery drain whereas if I have wifi on I get 19% drain....thats how it is for a lot of people I've talked to.
  7. #227  
    Alright, it's been an hour and I'm up to 53%. WAY better, but not what it used to be. We'll see how long until things go south again. . .
  8. #228  
    Quote Originally Posted by jut View Post
    Sounds like you have a different problem than most. If wifi is turned off I get about 1.5% battery drain whereas if I have wifi on I get 19% drain....thats how it is for a lot of people I've talked to.
    Is that strange? Were you OK before the update? I used wifi on occasion on my old HTC Hermes and I'd say 20% an hour was about right. Bluetooth was similarly horrible, even when not communicating.
  9. jut
    jut is offline
    jut's Avatar
    Posts
    46 Posts
    #229  
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Ya, yours is an odd case, since it seems to work in one env, but not another.

    Your ping results are more what I'd expect. Just to be clear, after
    ignoring the text message thing waking it up, can you confirm that
    1. In your work env, if you let it sleep for more than a minute, it stops responding to pings?
    2. At home, it always responds to pings, no matter how long it's been sleeping?

    ian
    Yes that is correct. After I realized the text woke it up, I retested and found that after a couple mins the Pre didnt respond to pings. When at home it doesnt seem to matter how long I wait, it is always responding to pings. Im moving on to the netstat test when i get a chance
  10. #230  
    I'm having the same issues, but I have to ask this: why don't you guys charge the phone overnight while you sleep???
  11. jut
    jut is offline
    jut's Avatar
    Posts
    46 Posts
    #231  
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyx View Post
    Is that strange? Were you OK before the update? I used wifi on occasion on my old HTC Hermes and I'd say 20% an hour was about right. Bluetooth was similarly horrible, even when not communicating.
    Yes it is, before the update I think I was around 3% with wifi on (remember, palm says to use wifi as often as you can as it is much more efficient than not). The fact that I get little over 1% drain on my wifi work but 19 times that drain at home is very strange to me. I have found that when I ping my phone at work after a couple mins the pings arent successful....while at home the Pre responds to pings no matter how long I wait. So what its telling me is that my Pre's wifi is constantly active at home while at work, when the phone goes into sleep, the wifi goes idle
  12. Daemon's Avatar
    Posts
    796 Posts
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    #232  
    The discussion is a bit more focused over here
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-5-update.html

    Summary so far:
    Once the phone has had a few days to stabilize after an update (when
    the battery usage is often very quirky), what we've found is that
    *some* people get extremely good battery usage whether Wifi is enabled or
    not (such as myself, who sees less than 1.5%/hr drain on standby in an
    active Wifi env), while others get extremely bad battery usage whenever
    Wifi is enabled. One person there only sees the high drain on their home
    Wifi network but not their work Wifi network (all else being the same).

    Prior to 1.3.5 any time the phone went to sleep, it would immediately
    kill the Wifi radio along with its icon in the status bar, switching back to
    EV. When it woke up it'd switch back from EV to Wifi visibly swapping one
    icon for the other. After 1.3.5 if you're in an active Wifi env and Wifi is
    enabled, it appears to leave the Wifi radio on all the time. The Wifi
    icon never goes away, even when the phone sleeps. However, I've
    confirmed that if it's working normally (low battery drain) the Wifi radio will
    stop responding to external pings and TCP connections (like inbound SSH)
    while the phone sleeps after about a minute of waiting.

    For at least one person experiencing high drain (Jut), his never stops responding
    to pings. If he puts the phone to sleep, waits 5 minutes and pings
    the Wifi IP, it responds. Basically the difference is, my Wifi radio
    stays on, but goes idle and unresponsive, while his appears to stay both
    on and active all the time. The observed 18-20%/hr drain is consistent
    with that.

    Since it doesn't affect everyone with 1.3.5 and Wifi enabled, the problem
    must require a combination of factors, but we've yet pin it down.
    For the guy who sees high drain at home, and low drain at work,
    it suggests some difference in the Wifi networks themselves, perhaps
    the router is doing something that keeps the phone awake (pestering it
    constantly with some sort of IP packet). Others report that the problem
    occurs when Wifi is enabled, regardless of whether they're in a Wifi
    environment or not. To me that suggests the combination involves Wifi on,
    and some other app or profile setting on the device, but again we can't pin
    it down.

    That's where it stands as of now. In the other thread, I posted
    some possible diagnostics to perform, pinging your Pre from another
    machine on the network, and running netstat -s in a Terminal window
    a couple times over the span of a few minutes, to see if it's receiving
    or sending a lot of packets while it should be sleeping. If anyone
    is interested in helping the diagnosis (who are experiencing the
    Wifi specific problem), check it out.

    Another option would be for someone to make an app that can be
    left running, that detects when the screen is on or off, and any time it
    goes off, disable Wifi, and when it comes back on, enable Wifi.
    This would simulate the behavior of pre-1.3.5 Wifi operation.
    It's just a workaround, but it could be useful until this problem is
    sorted out.

    ian
  13. Daemon's Avatar
    Posts
    796 Posts
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    #233  
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyx View Post
    Is that strange? Were you OK before the update? I used wifi on occasion on my old HTC Hermes and I'd say 20% an hour was about right. Bluetooth was similarly horrible, even when not communicating.
    Yes it is very strange. We're talking about standby drain while the Pre is
    sleeping. Most of us can leave Wifi enabled all the time, and
    it does not drain the battery any faster than with it disabled,
    while the phone is sleeping. It should not be necessary to ever
    disable Wifi, and if you have to, to save the battery on standby,
    then something is wrong. Additionally, when it's not sleeping,
    the Wifi radio is usually requires less power than the EVDO radio.
    Some report that that is also higher now, but I'm skeptical as the drain rate
    depends so much on what you're actually doing while the phone is awake.

    ian
  14. Daemon's Avatar
    Posts
    796 Posts
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    #234  
    Quote Originally Posted by QuarlesLT View Post
    I'm having the same issues, but I have to ask this: why don't you guys charge the phone overnight while you sleep???
    Doesn't solve anything if your drain rate is 20%/hr on standby.
    Phone's going to be dead 5 hours after you take it off the charger.
    Simply leaving it on the charger more often isn't a solution.

    ian
  15. #235  
    So I went to lunch just now for an hour, had a 20 min phone conversation with pretty consistent texting, and I'm only down 2%. Seems good. We'll see if things get crazy again for no apparent reason.
  16. jut
    jut is offline
    jut's Avatar
    Posts
    46 Posts
    #236  
    my findings so far...

    IP
    26834 incoming packets delivered
    30286 requests sent out

    TCP
    23832 segments received
    26348 segments sent out

    waited 5 mins

    IP
    26956 incoming packets delivered
    30426 requests sent out

    TCP
    23937 segments received
    26470 segments send out

    The time btwn "system going to sleep now" and "system woke up" was every second or so within that 5 mins

    This test was done at home where I get terrible drain on wifi. I am not at work and wont be able to test that until Monday
  17. #237  
    After reading a post about someone changing their email account settings, I thought I would do the same. I thought I'd post my results as well for others to take a look at.

    I switched all my email accounts to manual, turned off backup, and ran EPR just to be sure. I've never used wifi but I still faced those problems and I usually get excellent signal since so I figured that can't be it. While yesterday my battery drained around 50% in about 3 hours or so, my battery today with all the adjustments is at 90% after about three and a half hours. One by one I'll turn on the emails, backup, and reinstall the patches and hopefully find the problem.
  18. #238  
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Once the phone has had a few days to stabilize after an update (when
    the battery usage is often very quirky),
    Heck, this patch hasn't even been availble for more than a few days. Maybe this is the problem for a lot of us. I've never seent his happen with any other patch though, and I've had the phone since 1.1.

    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    . . .it suggests some difference in the Wifi networks themselves, perhaps
    the router is doing something that keeps the phone awake (pestering it
    constantly with some sort of IP packet). Others report that the problem
    occurs when Wifi is enabled, regardless of whether they're in a Wifi
    environment or not.
    The Pre will push more power to the antennas (Cell \ Wifi \ BT) when reception for them is low, thus increasing battery drain. This was claimed to be improved in the 1.3.5 update, but I haven't looked into exactly how.

    If Wifi is on, the phone will constantly scan for available networks, even if it is already connected to one. If you are in an area with a large amount of networks (apartment complex, etc), this can be pretty intense. Alaso bear in mind that wireless packet filtering is done through the driver. This means that if you're in an area with a large amount of networks, ALL packets from ALL those networks are being interpreted by your phone. This is because unlike a switched wired network, everythign from a wireless access point is just broadcast out into the open air, like radio stations. The phone can filter out through hardware the stuff that's not from the channel you're on, but for the rest it has to use the CPU to throw out any that are not from the network you're on, and then not intended for you, but this is still an amount of processing that the phone has to do, as it has to do a basic inspection of those packets to determine what they're doing there. Given that many consumer routers and access points are set to the same channels (6 and 11 are the most common), an apartment complex can be a pretty CPU-intensive (for a phone) environment to use wifi in.
  19. #239  
    I only have wireless access at home and in my case it responds to pings all the time when wifi is on.

    I let it sleep for 10 minutes and tried pinging.... I got an immediate reply.




    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Ya, yours is an odd case, since it seems to work in one env, but not another.

    Your ping results are more what I'd expect. Just to be clear, after
    ignoring the text message thing waking it up, can you confirm that
    1. In your work env, if you let it sleep for more than a minute, it stops responding to pings?
    2. At home, it always responds to pings, no matter how long it's been sleeping?

    ian
  20. #240  
    There have been so many posts about battery life. I thought I would add my 1 cent worth.
    The battery life does stink.
    It is a shame we have to go through some much stuff to get the battery to last all day.
    Wifi off then of. GPS off then on.
    Email checking.
    One thing that I have found is the "Where" app killed my battery with 1.3.1 and now with the most recent update.
    As soon as I re-installed it, bam battery life down the toilet even worse. I immediately unistalled and battery life got better. Still not great but better.
    Worth a try.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions