View Poll Results: How is your battery life after upgrading to 1.3.5 or 1.3.5.1?

Voters
258. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have stock WebOS (no homebrew) and my battery life is better

38 14.73%
  • I have stock WebOS (no homebrew) and my battery life is worse

32 12.40%
  • I have homebrew, and my battery life is better

51 19.77%
  • I have homebrew, and my battery life is worse

54 20.93%
  • I have homebrew, including quake, doom, classic invaders or super tux and my battery life is better

39 15.12%
  • I have homebrew, including quake, doom, classic invaders or super tux and my battery life is worse

34 13.18%
  • I have other scenario (please include in comments) and my battery life is better

3 1.16%
  • I have other scenario (please include in comments) and my battery life is worse

7 2.71%
Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    267 Global Posts
    I'll throw my hat in the discussion. Like many others, my battery life was markedly better after 1.3.5. Since installing 1.3.5.1 yesterday battery life has been atrocious.

Needs to be fixed ASAP.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    BT always drained my battery faster. But since the 1.3.5.1 update it completely drained to the red icon and was about to shut down. I have never had this happen prior.
    Ugh, and even now that I'm home and it's charging, it won't let me turn the phone back on. I just get to stare at the charging icon until it's decided I've been inconvenienced enough. I can see if it was off the charger, but it's not. Grr.

*time passes*
    Quote Originally Posted by chienandalusia View Post
    and for those who are surprised that extraneous communication (wifi, blutooth) consumes more consumption... i dont know how to react
    I believe you've missed the point that those of us with this issue are expressing. WE have not changed our usage patterns or behaviors at all. The ONLY change was the Pre updating to 1.3.5. Following this update our battery performance has drastically decreased.

We are using the same "extraneous communication" that we were using prior to the update. We're not expecting miracle battery consumption even though we're using wifi, bluetooth, etc - we just simply want the SAME battery life (or the promised battery performance *increase*) that we had prior to the 1.3.5 update.

I don't use my Pre for e-mail - so none of that running in the background - no yahoo, no google/gmail. I also always close all apps after use so none are ever running in the background - when the phone is 'sleeping'. I even close the 'phone/dialer' app after each use.

I just tried the ping test - with the phone awake I can ping it. After it goes to sleep (i.e. display turns off), I can no longer ping it. So maybe wifi is still turning off when the phone is sleeping? I can't ping it again until I slide the little lock icon up.

It does seem to be tied to the wifi being on. Pretty frustrating to have to constantly turn that on and off as needed. Hopefully Palm will have a 1.3.5.2 to fix this!
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shibumi View Post
    I believe you've missed the point that those of us with this issue are expressing. WE have not changed our usage patterns or behaviors at all. The ONLY change was the Pre updating to 1.3.5. Following this update our battery performance has drastically decreased.
    Exactly!
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    shibumi, thanks for doing the ping test. That's not at all what I expected to see.
    The battery drain seemed to indicate that the Wifi radio was not only
    on all the time (which we know is new to 1.3.5) but actually active all the
    time, but your ping test results seem to rule that out.

If you're up for it, you might try the netstat -s test inside the terminal app
    next. Should only take a few minutes to get a feel for whether the network
    is highly active when the phone should otherwise be sleeping.
    When my Pre is in standby, I only get a few dozen packets/segments/etc
    every few minutes (until some background app does a sync).

This brings me back to an earlier hypothesis though. Some apps
    actually behave differently when they think the network is using
    Wifi rather than EVDO. Pandora loads a different bitrate quality map
    (always choosing highest quality when on Wifi) for instance. Other
    apps may be doing the same, which is why I still think that this may be
    an interaction between 1.3.5 and some other app, since it is not
    affecting everyone who leaves Wifi on all the time (such as myself,
    who's seen better battery usage after 1.3.5 than ever before).
    While everyone here is saying they haven't changed their apps,
    nobody has said they've actually started over fresh with no apps
    to see if one of them is interacting badly with 1.3.5's new
    "Wifi appears to always be on" behavior. Who's got the Pre
    closest to stock, with this problem?

BTW, has anyone tried shutting the phone down and popping the battery
    out and back in? I had something suck my battery down fast
    in 1.3.1 for a day, and that was the only way to kill it (normal reboot
    wouldn't do it). Basically some hardware glitch that needed a cold boot.

ian
    I happen to run across this thread...

I have noticed much better battery life over the past two days (I'm at 88% at 4pm... that was unheard of previously)... After thinking about it... I have had wifi off for the past two days (I normally keep it on) because I was traveling prior to that and never turned it on since returning home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    shibumi, thanks for doing the ping test. That's not at all what I expected to see.
    The battery drain seemed to indicate that the Wifi radio was not only
    on all the time (which we know is new to 1.3.5) but actually active all the
    time, but your ping test results seem to rule that out.
    I can actually start pinging the phone, get a timeout, unlock the phone, and have it start pinging for the last 1 or 2 packets. About a minute or so after locking the phone, it will stop responding again.

If you're up for it, you might try the netstat -s test inside the terminal app
    next.
    Is that in the Palm catalog, or is it a homebrew? My Pre is still 'stock' - no Preware / Homebrew installs on it.

Who's got the Pre
    closest to stock, with this problem?
    Mine might qualify - it's stock except for some of the Palm catalog apps.

BTW, has anyone tried shutting the phone down and popping the battery out and back in? I had something suck my battery down fast
    in 1.3.1 for a day, and that was the only way to kill it (normal reboot
    wouldn't do it). Basically some hardware glitch that needed a cold boot.
    I'll do that now and see if I notice any difference tomorrow.
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Hmm, yours sounds like a good test subject, since it's the closest to
    stock I've heard of in this thread, but it also makes it a little harder
    to get accurate test results if you don't have the Battery Monitor app,
    or Terminal app (both available via Preware or Quick install).
    netstat itself is part of Linux so once you have a command line
    you can run it. I suppose you could run it with nothing but a Novacom
    window which requires no installation on the Pre itself, other than
    putting it into developer mode.

What app catalog apps do you have?
    What sync profiles in contacts/calendar/email do you have?
    Maybe if you have few enough, we can narrow it down to
    something specific by installing what you have on a Pre like mine.

ian
    I Doctored my Pre back to 1.3.5 and all is well...Reinstalled all my patches and apps and not a single issue
    Same here, never had major battery issue til yesterday. Had to grab a car charger from a sprint store in the middle of the day because the battery drained. Doctored the phone back to 1.3.5 and will monitor for improvement.
    My battery is draining super fast as well, and it takes forever to charge it now.

Hopefully Palm can fix this as soon as possible.
    So we haven't been able to pinpoint the issue? To help, I set yahoo manually sync, one google account to check every 6 hours, and the other 2 to check every hour. I just have one account now that delivers as items arrive. I actually made it through the day, and have 64% battery left at 5pm. Wifi off, BT, phone and data on.
    So, Im wondering...is it safe to upgrade to 1.3.5.1? I dont want to have to Dr back to 1.3.5. :/
    ------
    ~Sam

Crappy generic phone > Another crappy generic phone > Treo 700w > Palm Pre
    It's sounding to me like this issue is due to wifi. That's what all of the users with this issue are saying they're using.
    ------
    ~Sam

Crappy generic phone > Another crappy generic phone > Treo 700w > Palm Pre
  16. jut
    I understand your idea of apps behaving differently and causing the problem but that wouldnt be my problem since I get great life while on wifi at work. After I pinged my pre earlier and said that I was getting success even 5 mins after the phone went to sleep I didnt realize I had received a text so since that woke the phone back up that was the cause of the pinging constantly working. Since I've been at home I have tried the same and am getting constant success also....which is probably why I am getting poor battery life. I have waited 3, 5, 7 mins in btwn my pings (with no waking of the device)....which should be plenty of time btwn pings to see it not respond to ping packets
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Ya, yours is an odd case, since it seems to work in one env, but not another.

Your ping results are more what I'd expect. Just to be clear, after
    ignoring the text message thing waking it up, can you confirm that
    1. In your work env, if you let it sleep for more than a minute, it stops responding to pings?
    2. At home, it always responds to pings, no matter how long it's been sleeping?

ian
    FYI.
    I contacted palm and they suggested I completely drain the battery, remove it for a few minutes and then fully charge it.

I did that and it didn't help. Within the 1st hour my battery dropped to 82%.

I'm CONVINCED it's a problem with 1.3.5.x as I doctored my phone back down to 1.3.1 and the problem is NOT THERE.
    Quote Originally Posted by the.teejster View Post
    FYI.
    I contacted palm and they suggested I completely drain the battery, remove it for a few minutes and then fully charge it.

I did that and it didn't help. Within the 1st hour my battery dropped to 82%.

I'm CONVINCED it's a problem with 1.3.5.x as I doctored my phone back down to 1.3.1 and the problem is NOT THERE.
    definitely related to wi-fi and webos 1.3.5

Today all day had IM turned on to googletalk, used phone, chat, web and still at 50% when I got home at 6pm. No way I could have that before 1.3.5

So battery life is BETTER if wi-fi off and even to see that effect, it took me a week = there is something to the "let the battery" equilibrate to the new version of webos

BUT keep that wi-fi turned OFF. I went from 50%-->0% in 3 hrs once i got home and turned on Wi-fi
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    While some of us get that great battery life even with Wifi on all the time
    in active Wifi environments. My Pre has been off the charger for 23 hours,
    I did a bunch of browsing mid-day, some messaging, a couple
    short calls and my battery is at 65% right now. I want to figure this out,
    so everyone else can see what I (and a few others) see.

Would still like to see someone do the netstat -s test I described
    a page or two ago. It should tell us if there are new connections
    coming and going, or if it's just being kept awake by icmp or udp packets
    or something else.

ian