View Poll Results: How is your battery life after upgrading to 1.3.5 or 1.3.5.1?

Voters
258. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have stock WebOS (no homebrew) and my battery life is better

38 14.73%
  • I have stock WebOS (no homebrew) and my battery life is worse

32 12.40%
  • I have homebrew, and my battery life is better

51 19.77%
  • I have homebrew, and my battery life is worse

54 20.93%
  • I have homebrew, including quake, doom, classic invaders or super tux and my battery life is better

39 15.12%
  • I have homebrew, including quake, doom, classic invaders or super tux and my battery life is worse

34 13.18%
  • I have other scenario (please include in comments) and my battery life is better

3 1.16%
  • I have other scenario (please include in comments) and my battery life is worse

7 2.71%
Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    19-25%/hr is generally what I see when the phone is *on*
    and accessing data. In other words, what I'd see if I spent an hour
    browsing the web more or less continuously.

My take is that for those having the problem, it is just keeping
    the radio active constantly. I keep trying to think of some
    way for you guys to actually try to monitor if that's the case,
    and this is the closest I can think of:

Enable Wifi, let it connect, and record the Wifi IP of your Pre.
    Do something that accesses the network, like check mail, or
    refresh a web Page.
    Go to some other PC on the same network open a command prompt
    and do a
    ping <IP of your Pre>
    e.g.
    ping 192.168.1.103
    While the Pre is on, you should get 4 valid ping packet responses.
    Now let the Pre go to sleep.
    ping it again right away. Should get valid responses. (prior to 1.3.5,
    the Wifi radio would stop responding almost instantly after it was put to sleep)
    Now wait 1 full minute.
    ping it again. It should say host unreachable.
    Now try pinging it again every 30 seconds or so.
    It should remain unresponsive most of the time (a background
    task that checks mail or something may wake it back up for a while)

While the Pre may indicate the the Wifi radio is on all the time now,
    I've found that when it'd truly idling it will not answer to ping
    packets or other types of inbound tcp connections.
    On the other hand, if something is keeping the Wifi radio active 100%
    of the time, then you should get valid responses to every ping
    packet, no matter how long you wait.

ian
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Another couple thing to look at.
    Open up the Terminal app and type
    netstat -s
    That'll give you a long list of network statistics.
    Scroll up and take a look in IP section for
    total incoming packets delivered,
    and requests sent out.
    Record those values.
    Take a look in TCP section
    record values for segments received and sent out
    in UDP section record values for packets received and sent out.
    Leave Terminal app open
    Now let the Pre go to sleep for a few minutes,
    then wake it back up,
    run netstat -s again and compare with the previous values.
    If it hasn't run a big sync task while it was sleeping,
    the difference should be quite small.. 5, 10, maybe 20 packets
    difference here and there. If you see 100's, 1000's.. etc then you know
    something is keeping it active and busy all the time.
    Knowing which type TCP, UDP, ICMP may help track it down.

BTW, my Pre's been off the charger for roughly 22 hours, Wifi on, GPS on,
    couple browsing sessions, all the tests I'm describing here,
    and the battery is only down to 60%. On pure standby, I think
    I could make it 2 1/2 days now.

I hope a solution can be found to this glitch so that you may all experience
    the kick-*** battery life some of us are getting since 1.3.5.

ian
    This pretty much describes my situation as well !
    Thanks for taking the time to document it.

In short for me....
    - With Wifi turned ON, BT on and Data on and the phone sitting idle, battery monitor report 17.96% battery drain per hour.
    - With Wifi turned OFF, BT on and Data on and the phone sitting idle, battery monitor report 1.84% battery drain per hour.

Lastly,
    I do have similar patches installed now however I recorded my stats using a doctored phone to 1.3.1 and taking the 1.3.5.1 OTA update from Bell.

Quote Originally Posted by lakaw View Post
    I ran a test over the last two days to try and document the battery drain linked to 1.3.5(.1) and wifi.
    Let me start by saying that I've had my Pre since Oct and have always left wifi and data on without ever having complaints about battery life. Nothing else has changed except for the OS upgrade.

Here are my list of patches:
    Landscape Email
    Hide Nascar
    Reply/Forward Multimod
    VKB
    Vibrate Charge
    Landscape Messaging
    Enter for new line
    New card per convo
    GPS in menu
    Actual Batt %
    4x4 v3
    Add date
    Brightness in Menu
    Slider end call
    Default month view
    Add/Delete Launcher pages
    Hide music player
    pic filename
    Browser multimod
    reduce minimum brightness
    alert/notify tones
    unhide dev mode

Here are my apps:
    Accuweather
    Fandango
    Pandora
    Pack n Track
    Mileage Monitor
    engadget
    My Notification
    Prejeweled
    Monkey Jump
    Alien Switch
    Monster Cups
    Battery Saver
    Luna Manager
    MyQ
    Music Player Remix
    Precell
    Preware
    Battery Monitor
    Wabbit Hunt
    Brightness Unlinked

Services:
    Package Manager

Linux Apps:
    GNU Patch
    Diffstat

I usually have my email accounts set to get mail "as it arrives", but for this test I've set my gmail and yahoo accounts to get mail once an hour. I only sync my gmail contacts, and I do not use IM. My screen brightness is set to 9% and my usage throughout was very light.

1st screengrab is data on, wifi off, bt on & gps off. This is at work where cell coverage is terrible and I am not connected to wifi. Seems ok for a shoddy service area.
    Attachment 39903

2nd screengrab is wifi on, cell radio off, bt on & gps off. This is at home where both cell coverage and wifi are excellent. Bye-bye battery...
    Attachment 39904

3rd screengrab is data on, wifi on, bt on & gps off. This is at work where cell coverage is terrible and I am not connected to wifi. I found this odd. Wifi on but not connected and bad service area gets better battery life?
    Attachment 39905

4th screengrab is data on, wifi on, bt on & gps off. This is at home where both cell coverage and wifi are excellent. Really fast battery drain.
    Attachment 39906

Thoughts?
    Questions?
    More info?
    In short for me....
    - With Wifi turned ON, BT on, GPS off and Data on and the phone sitting idle, battery monitor report 17.96% battery drain per hour.
    - With Wifi turned OFF, BT on, GPS off and Data on and the phone sitting idle, battery monitor report 1.84% battery drain per hour.
  5. jut
    Quote Originally Posted by lakaw View Post
    3rd screengrab is data on, wifi on, bt on & gps off. This is at work where cell coverage is terrible and I am not connected to wifi. I found this odd. Wifi on but not connected and bad service area gets better battery life?
    Attachment 39905
    This is due to the fact that if you have wifi on, and if its not connected to a network, the pre seems to turn the wifi radio off while in sleep mode. If the pre is connected to a network the wifi radio is always on.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    This is crazy! I was so happy after 1.3.5 because the phone was overall snappier and battery life increased by a good 50%, no exaggeration!!

Now, I'm reading this thread and it's annoying to see how palm has screwed up the battery life!!! ***!! Why was this upgrade released anyways ? 1.3.5 was working great !

And I hate how Palm forces the update on you! I know I can plug that with a patch, but it should be my choice to update or not!!
    iPhone 4(sold) : Palm Pre(sold) : HTC EVO 3D: Nokia E71-2: BB Bold (work)

Other Toys: '07 M5 : '08 LS7
    The issue started with 1.3.5 and was not introduced with 1.3.5.1.

Quote Originally Posted by M5Rahul View Post
    This is crazy! I was so happy after 1.3.5 because the phone was overall snappier and battery life increased by a good 50%, no exaggeration!!

Now, I'm reading this thread and it's annoying to see how palm has screwed up the battery life!!! ***!! Why was this upgrade released anyways ? 1.3.5 was working great !

And I hate how Palm forces the update on you! I know I can plug that with a patch, but it should be my choice to update or not!!
  8. jut
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    19-25%/hr is generally what I see when the phone is *on*
    and accessing data. In other words, what I'd see if I spent an hour
    browsing the web more or less continuously.

My take is that for those having the problem, it is just keeping
    the radio active constantly. I keep trying to think of some
    way for you guys to actually try to monitor if that's the case,
    and this is the closest I can think of:

Enable Wifi, let it connect, and record the Wifi IP of your Pre.
    Do something that accesses the network, like check mail, or
    refresh a web Page.
    Go to some other PC on the same network open a command prompt
    and do a
    ping <IP of your Pre>
    e.g.
    ping 192.168.1.103
    While the Pre is on, you should get 4 valid ping packet responses.
    Now let the Pre go to sleep.
    ping it again right away. Should get valid responses. (prior to 1.3.5,
    the Wifi radio would stop responding almost instantly after it was put to sleep)
    Now wait 1 full minute.
    ping it again. It should say host unreachable.
    Now try pinging it again every 30 seconds or so.
    It should remain unresponsive most of the time (a background
    task that checks mail or something may wake it back up for a while)

While the Pre may indicate the the Wifi radio is on all the time now,
    I've found that when it'd truly idling it will not answer to ping
    packets or other types of inbound tcp connections.
    On the other hand, if something is keeping the Wifi radio active 100%
    of the time, then you should get valid responses to every ping
    packet, no matter how long you wait.

ian
    I was also thinking about this, however when I tried it I would always get a response. I tried every 30 secs for 5 mins and only once did I get a time out and lost a packet. All the other packets were successfully sent with about the same round trip times. I only tried this at work, which is where I get good battery life when wifi is on
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    I don't seem to have this problem. I leave Wifi on when at home because my signal is weak in the house, and I went to bed last night with 51% battery left. Woke up this morning and it's still at 47%. I've got 1.3.5.1 on Sprint. This update seems to not have an effect on my battery at all.
    This obviously isn't an issue affecting all users.

It is however affecting some of us and for those impacted by the issue it's a major pain in the a** !!

IMO.. the phone should never consume up to 20% of the battery per hour if it's not actively being used and it hasn't done so until the introduction of 1.3.5.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMcG View Post
    I don't seem to have this problem. I leave Wifi on when at home because my signal is weak in the house, and I went to bed last night with 51% battery left. Woke up this morning and it's still at 47%. I've got 1.3.5.1 on Sprint. This update seems to not have an effect on my battery at all.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Did you update the Network settings and PRL after the update? After updating to 1.3.5, my battery life improved by a lot. The PRL should be 60658.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeMcG View Post
    Did you update the Network settings and PRL after the update? After updating to 1.3.5, my battery life improved by a lot. The PRL should be 60658.
    My PRL for Bell is 31408. (No PRL update available)

I assume that PRL is for Sprint.
    When I first updated to 1.3.5 and 1.3.5.1 I had WiFi enabled with my calendar synced to Yahoo, gmail, facebook and palm profile and my battery was draining all the way in just half a day. After reading this post I turned WiFi off and removed all the calendar accounts except for palm profile and I noticed a huge improvement in my battery life. It now decreases 20% in a 4 hr time frame. There is a negative impact when WiFi is enabled and the calendar is synced to more that one account. Good catch guys. I hope Palm fixes this soon.
    You got me excited thinking that the root cause of the battery drain issue was uncovered..

Not the case with me unfortunately

I only sync with 2 calendars, palm and gmail. So I removed the gmail calendar and started up battery monitor to test your theory.

No such luck.

After 19 min. of monitoring I'm still experiencing 18.24% battery drain per hour.
    Quote Originally Posted by cloak.n.dagger View Post
    When I first updated to 1.3.5 and 1.3.5.1 I had WiFi enabled with my calendar synced to Yahoo, gmail, facebook and palm profile and my battery was draining all the way in just half a day. After reading this post I turned WiFi off and removed all the calendar accounts except for palm profile and I noticed a huge improvement in my battery life. It now decreases 20% in a 4 hr time frame. There is a negative impact when WiFi is enabled and the calendar is synced to more that one account. Good catch guys. I hope Palm fixes this soon.
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jut View Post
    I was also thinking about this, however when I tried it I would always get a response. I tried every 30 secs for 5 mins and only once did I get a time out and lost a packet. All the other packets were successfully sent with about the same round trip times. I only tried this at work, which is where I get good battery life when wifi is on
    Make sure you don't have any push email profiles and then wait longer
    before the first ping. If I started pinging too early, the pings themselves
    would keep the Wifi radio active, and that brought the drain up to like
    5%/hr (up from my normal < 1.5%). It should eventually start ignoring you.

ian
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Where can I find the Battery Monitor App?
    It's available through preware.

Quote Originally Posted by ksavoie View Post
    Where can I find the Battery Monitor App?
    Yeesh. Took it off the Touchstone fully charged at 8:30am. Wi-Fi is off. Made 2 phone calls, totaling maybe 20 minutes, have AIM logged in, and have listened off and on to Shoutcast (maybe 45 minutes worth at most). At 12pm, my phone shut off because it ran out of juice. That's really pathetic, I've never had it go dead that quickly before, I can usually get through the work day.

Something has changed with this update ...
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkster5 View Post
    same here...1.3.5 was great, 1.3.5.1 drains like crazy

Me too. Plus I seem to be having connectivity issues. When I manually refresh/sync my EAS account it just hangs there sometimes, churning away.

I have my EAS account to "as it arrives" and two other accounts every couple of hours. NO wi-fi, no BT, no web usage.

It died overnight (has been doing so since 1.3.5.1) when I had 40% left at bedtime. Recharged it this morning. Left the house at 8:30 with a full charge. It's 12:30ctl now and I have 41% left. Again, no real usage.

I reset the phone this morning after the charge just in case something was hanging and/or there was a memory leak.

No patches. Just some basic homebrew apps, none of which require full time connections.

bj
    Quote Originally Posted by the.teejster View Post
    You got me excited thinking that the root cause of the battery drain issue was uncovered..

Not the case with me unfortunately

I only sync with 2 calendars, palm and gmail. So I removed the gmail calendar and started up battery monitor to test your theory.

No such luck.

After 19 min. of monitoring I'm still experiencing 18.24% battery drain per hour.
    I did the exact same thing and got the same result. I'm thinking about removing my email accounts which would mean it would only be aware of the Palm profile.

Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    Yeesh. Took it off the Touchstone fully charged at 8:30am. Wi-Fi is off. Made 2 phone calls, totaling maybe 20 minutes, have AIM logged in, and have listened off and on to Shoutcast (maybe 45 minutes worth at most). At 12pm, my phone shut off because it ran out of juice. That's really pathetic, I've never had it go dead that quickly before, I can usually get through the work day.

Something has changed with this update ...
    Yes. Palm switched the battery life switch from suck to blow.