Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 57 of 57
  1. #41  
    I can all but guarantee that accidentally screwing up WIFI somehow when you are only updating calendar files is impossible. The phone's code is pretty well-separated. Plus, there are as many people saying they're having battery improvements as battery problems. No, I'd say this is all either psychological or the result of a previous update or some other software... or just hardware issues.
  2. bart001's Avatar
    Posts
    25 Posts
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtygreek View Post
    I can all but guarantee that accidentally screwing up WIFI somehow when you are only updating calendar files is impossible. The phone's code is pretty well-separated. Plus, there are as many people saying they're having battery improvements as battery problems. No, I'd say this is all either psychological or the result of a previous update or some other software... or just hardware issues.
    It's not just me having the issue. There are a slew of other people having the same issue. Software code can be very interconnected and changing one thing sometimes has unintended consequences somewhere else.
  3. #43  
    Oh I know it's not just you, and I agree about changes in one place affecting other things. I'm a developer. However, changing the calendar code only would not affect wifi or battery life. There's no reason it would. As I said, it's possible some of the changes in 1.3.5 affected battery life, but not 1.3.5.1. They came out pretty close together, so it's possible you didn't notice the changes until 1.3.5.1 even though they happened with 1.3.5.

    However, I haven't noticed any changes in battery life, good or bad.
  4. #44  
    I've been seeing mixed results. The yesterday my phone drained 10% in 45 minutes, which isn't good. The day before that, however, I went from 9:30 am til 5:30 am (yes, late night) without charging once. It was at 6% when I put it on the charger. I put it on airplane mode during a 1.5 hour movie but other than that it was turned on and I didn't use it any less than any other day. I was shocked.
  5. ReVan's Avatar
    Posts
    39 Posts
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    #45  
    I think battery life depends on a good discharge cycle i.e. if everyone is fully charging their phones when at 20% before using it and NOT over charging.
  6. game40love's Avatar
    Posts
    3 Posts
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    #46  
    Have not seen any significant improvement here yet. I used to have an App called BatterySave (do not remember exact name) but I lost it after updating to v1.3.5.1. This App allowed me to put my phone in Airport mood during the night time. But cannot find anywhere in App. Catalog now. Does anyone knows?
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibreil View Post
    I think battery life depends on a good discharge cycle i.e. if everyone is fully charging their phones when at 20% before using it and NOT over charging.
    Older batteries would perform better when fully discharged. Temperature also had a big effect on them. Those days are gone now. There are many variables that affect battery life. Coverage conditions (searching for a signal kills bats fast), application code, vibrate mode, etc....

    My Pre is on a charger all day at work and again when I get home. It's now a force of habit and I never have to deal with low battery issues no matter what I'm doing. I also didn't know you could over-charge a batter. As far as I know, the charging process stops once the batter is fully charged.

    Moral of the story, always have a charger handy.
  8. 1PTUser's Avatar
    Posts
    304 Posts
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by Siteoner View Post
    well I had a great improvement after 1.3.5 but since 1.3.5.1 the batteries been awful
    +1
  9. ReVan's Avatar
    Posts
    39 Posts
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by matthewj318 View Post
    Older batteries would perform better when fully discharged. Temperature also had a big effect on them. Those days are gone now. There are many variables that affect battery life. Coverage conditions (searching for a signal kills bats fast), application code, vibrate mode, etc....

    My Pre is on a charger all day at work and again when I get home. It's now a force of habit and I never have to deal with low battery issues no matter what I'm doing. I also didn't know you could over-charge a batter. As far as I know, the charging process stops once the batter is fully charged.

    Moral of the story, always have a charger handy.
    Does the Palm have a feature to stop charging when the battery reaches 100% - if Yes then I support your point otherwise Yes you can over-charge Li-Ion battery - basically there has been allot of discussion on this - i would appreciate if you could Google for it. Though the Li-Ion battery don't have a "charge discharge memory" effect like the earlier models, over-charging does reduce its life and capacity to hold the charge for a long period of time.

    Let's end this debate here as it's off the topic of the thread.
  10. 1PTUser's Avatar
    Posts
    304 Posts
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtygreek View Post
    Oh I know it's not just you, and I agree about changes in one place affecting other things. I'm a developer. However, changing the calendar code only would not affect wifi or battery life. There's no reason it would. As I said, it's possible some of the changes in 1.3.5 affected battery life, but not 1.3.5.1. They came out pretty close together, so it's possible you didn't notice the changes until 1.3.5.1 even though they happened with 1.3.5. ...
    My battery life definitely improved with 1.3.5. However, I did need the EAS calendar fix; so I loaded 1.3.5.1. With that update, battery life has been dramatically worse. The code changes may not have dealt with wifi or cellular radio functionality, but increased polling or changes in the communication with Exchange or other calendar data sources can produce this type of outcome, right? I wonder what percentage of those that have seen a drop in battery performance in 1.3.5.1 are Exchange users?
  11. djmcgee's Avatar
    Posts
    626 Posts
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    #51  
    I doctored at 1.3.1 and am currently running 1.3.5.1. I was working at home (honey-do list) most of the weekend and my phone sat mostly unused, a few texts, emails a little surfing. I did not charge it at all on Saturday night, thus from Saturday morning (8 am) to Sunday night (10 pm) I used 50% of a Seido 2600. Figure 50 texts, read 20 emails, surfed for 2 hours, no music, 30 minutes of phone calls. Wifi at home, GPS off.

    I think that's pretty good. As a matter of fact it has gotten so good with 1.3.5.1 that I'm thinking of trying the stock battery again to see if I can get through a normal workday.
  12. tkistre's Avatar
    Posts
    23 Posts
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    #52  
    I got my Pre a few days before Christmas, upgraded it immediately to 1.3.1, which was newest at the time. I had already read everything here in forums about battery life and true enough, I could not make a day without charging it or changing the battery. I did discharge battery to where phone shuts off a few times as many people had recommended, at the same time the 1.3.5 update came out. I also upgraded to the 1.3.5.1 a few days later. I will say that now I can get a whole day of life out of my Pre, roughly from 7am to 10pm, and still have life on battery, unless I do more usage than my norm.
  13. #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by matthewj318 View Post
    Older batteries would perform better when fully discharged. Temperature also had a big effect on them. Those days are gone now. There are many variables that affect battery life. Coverage conditions (searching for a signal kills bats fast), application code, vibrate mode, etc....

    My Pre is on a charger all day at work and again when I get home. It's now a force of habit and I never have to deal with low battery issues no matter what I'm doing. I also didn't know you could over-charge a batter. As far as I know, the charging process stops once the batter is fully charged.

    Moral of the story, always have a charger handy.
    I always heard before using your phone extensively you should drain your battery and recharge it completely a few times, but I read with the Pre this wasn't the case.

    My battery life isn't great either but coming from the iPhone which also had horrible battery life I was more than used to having chargers at home, work, and in the car. It's nbd any more, just regular style
  14.    #54  
    I brought my Pre to school today and left it off the charger from 7:15 AM- 4 PM. The battery percent was at 77%. This was with 3-4 one minute calls, 2 or 3 texts, and about 20 minutes of music. In school the phone was mostly roaming or had very weak 1x signal. I am extremely pleased with the battery life. Keep it up Palm!!
  15. #55  
    well i dont know about everybody but my battery is dying alot faster i wouldnt do anyting for like an hour after taking my phone off the charger from 100% to like 80 something % thats really sucks cause b4 the update my battery was perfectly fine now it just plain sucks cause i have to charge it alot more now...real disappointment
  16. infuser72's Avatar
    Posts
    23 Posts
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    #56  
    i noticed the biggest increase in battery life when i reduced the minimum brightness and changed my emails to sync manually, so now i just open email and "refresh all" a few times a day and voila! battery life is no longer an issue, even with heavy usage. now if i could just fix the constant turning off when hit the back cover...
  17. #57  
    heres my delema and hope someone has had this problem and im not the only one... so i have loved my phone since it first came out. never realy complained about the tinkering i have to do from time to time but the battery issue i face lately is upsetting. i cannot charge my phone while it is on cause if i have it plugged into the usb cable to either the wall charger or my computer it will drain the battery faster than if i was to just let it die on its own. then charge the phone while its off. as soon as i turn it on... if its still on the usb cable it drains it again. i have nothing installed other than what came on the phone and cant find a reason why this started happening. anyone heard of this?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions