Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    As referenced by CannonFodder in the Precentral Thread - Engadget gives WebOS some love! - http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pre/223923-engadget-gives-webos-some-love.html

Engadget gave a Big Thumbs Up to Palm with their CES 2010 announcements, but CNET was not as generous...

For those that did not catch Friday's Buzz Out Load - Episode 1041 - Good news for high-tech mouth breathers - http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/cnet/...-08-231710.m4v

I'm still dumbfounded and have no clue what they were talking about and why Palm deserves so much negative press from CNET after receiving CNET's CES 2009 - Best of Show award last year.

For those who would like a clearer picture about what was said, I've transcribed their Palm Pre session (as close as possible):

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buzz Out Load - Episode 1041 - Good news for high-tech mouth breathers - http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/cnet/...-08-231710.m4v

Hosts:

Tom Merritt
    Molly Wood
    Jason Howell
    Veronica Belmont (guest host)

CNET - CES 2010 - Buzz Out Load - Palm Coverage Transcript

Tom - Also little other phone news here palm introduced a Palm Pre plus. The differences is being at sixteen gigabytes coming to Verizon on January 25th and they got all Steve Jobs and moved one of the knobs off the front the navigation knob.

Jason - Oh…

Molly - Don’t you need that…for the navigating…

Tom - you don’t want that…no…

Molly - I don't know ya I am not sure which knob they mean, but um the question we were asking before the show will this extend Palm’s life at all now that they're on Verizon and not just on Sprint probably not…I mean it will buy them a little time.

Tom - I don't know with the Droid out there…

Molly - maybe…

Tom - and honestly even with the Nexus One which eventually is gonna come to Verizon they say I don't…who who here would buy a Palm Pre from Verizon now that it's going to be available. Anybody in the audience can we a…

Veronica - a maybe…a a aa…

Tom - a non-committal…

Jason - Scathing…

Molly - we now have an actual thumbs down…

Veronica - oh Hell No…

Molly - angry…

Jason - one year ago…one year ago

Veronica - what is it about…

Tom - this was best of CES

Jason - this would have been a big deal…when this launched last year

Molly - yeah

Veronica - don’t you feel bad for it…

Molly - I feel terrible for it…

Veronica - it’s so cute…it tried really hard…

Molly - it did, but you know what there was…we all said that exclusivity with Sprint is gonna kill them…because you're not gonna be able to get a big enough customer customer base fast enough and for whatever reason when actual phone came out…it just didn't have it. It didn’t have the it factor…you know…and it it just it's like when I broke up with the iPhone and was shopping for a new phone it it didn't even cross my mind…

Veronica - you know

Molly - it’s like...hm hmm

Veronica - if and when the Nexus One comes to AT&T I might make the switch.

Molly - really…

Veronica - I might do it…ya

Tom - you can use the Nexus One on AT&T now…you just stuck with edge…it just like using any other phone on ATT…

Veronica - that true it’s like using the iPhone now its like actually…

Molly - apparently as they build other three G network they're making their edge network gradually worse right…they've kind of announced that that it is gonna get a little slower…like you you don't want to use ATT now...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm curious what you guys think about what they said and I'm guessing that CNET were either tired, exhausted from the CES 2010 showcase, or simply drunk from last nights parties.

Either way, I'm amazed how biased CNET can be with their conversations and commentary at big events like CES. Did they even attend the Palm presentation, see what's new and coming soon, notice big players like Verizon, EA and otherwise backing Palm's recent efforts?

I know for a fact that Molly Wood has no love for Apple, iPhone, and especially ATT being locked for so many years, but does she really think the Droid (which she now uses and replaced her iPhone) is that innovated and better then the Palm Pre?

Please let me know what you think? Hopefully someone out there has some idea why CNET has become so biased/blinded with their commentary or why they suddenly HATE Palm (that's the way I see from the comments above) and now think Android is the best thing since sliced bread.

Actually, if you try to research Palm Pre and CNET's CES 2009 Best of Show reporting on CNET.com...you'll also notice all of their praise and accolades from last year are now gone.

Seems kinda weird to me...

Sorli...
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    I bet if Bonnie Cha was in the room we'd get some love.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockyjay View Post
    I bet if Bonnie Cha was in the room we'd get some love.
    LOL. I just puked a little in my mouth.
    ***I Twitter***

Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
    i'm not a fan of cnet at all
    This signature for rent
    Well from the sounds of it, they have never used either a nexus one or a pre. I mean calling the center button a knob and asking whether or not it is needed for the function of the phone.

Perhaps they didn't even notice the 3D gaming that still allows multitasking. A native access PDK. The massive courting of developers and novel new ways of distributing apps.

There is a reason why Engadget is considered the best tech blog on the net. They actually do their research and are willing to say when something isn't up to snuff, just like they did on the Nexus One.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Never really liked CNET to begin with because of there biases, and honestly everything that i own that CNET gave a bad review about I love ... Plus alot of there software they recommend on there site has virus' attached to them so becareful!
    R.I.P Palm Centro (6.5.09)
    New Pre Owner (6.6.09)

7. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    CNET is irrelevant. They're standing around reading the Engadget website and talking about it on camera. Their commentary is shallow and seemingly uninformed.
    Bonnie has good words for Palm.

its a mix at cnet, some people like it, some dont. but cnet usually only scratch the surface of everything, they dont really do deep analyses or tests.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Impulsebuyer View Post
    Never really liked CNET to begin with because of there biases, and honestly everything that i own that CNET gave a bad review about I love ... Plus alot of there software they recommend on there site has virus' attached to them so becareful!
    I can't say that...CNET did give Palm and the Palm Pre the Best of Show for CES 2009, so I guess not all of their recommendation were bad and fell on deaf ears. Actually, their coverage last year helped motivate my move from Verizon to Sprint just to get the Palm Pre and I easily say thank you for that.

Their commentary as of late is definitely slanted and I'm sure it comes down to Money, CBS, or simply bad journalism (no it can't be that...). Sorli...
    They spent about a minute and a half talking about Palm, and I kinda get the feeling that that's about as much time as they spent researching the changes and considering the future implications and what they were going to say. I agree with Complex Pants that none of them sounds like they have spent any time with any WebOS device in the recent past nor with the Nexus One (which seems to be suffering a customer service assistance availability issue).
    The Buzz Out Loud folks are idiots. Leftist iPhone fanfolks. From their transcript above, it's obvious they have no idea whatsoever of what they're talking about regarding the Pre. And anyone who listens to Buzz Out Loud (on purpose) is most likely a Leftist iPhone fanfolk as well, so who cares?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    The Buzz Out Loud folks are idiots. Leftist iPhone fanfolks. From their transcript above, it's obvious they have no idea whatsoever of what they're talking about regarding the Pre. And anyone who listens to Buzz Out Loud (on purpose) is most likely a Leftist iPhone fanfolk as well, so who cares?
    You could just call them commies
    Live free or DIE!
    when you look at the transcript posted above... it doesnt sound like they are trashing the phone or mentioning any issues or major shortcomings over the competition which they may have been able to argue if they wanted to like waiting on stuff like video recording or hardware issues or whatever...

their main issue is that the phone has seem to have gotten lost in the sprint world and with other phones like droid and nexus that it is not one that comes to mind or people think of or consider.

honestly... how many people you know around you knew of the the palm pre when they first saw your phone... how many would know about the pixi. how often you see someone else with a pre or especially pixi?

when my co workers were phone shopping im not sure if they even really knew about the pre when shopping and they were looking... i had to remind them there is the pre on sprint and we are fairly techy/geeky to new stuff.

i have always said... sprint could have done more. i think palm could have done more even though really behind the eight ball with being with sprint. you saw the ads because you guys are palm fanatics and looking for it... other people may have saw the ads but nothing to keep their attention in considering it.
    CNET sucks at reviewing period. They always have to find a flaw with anything they look at!
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    when you look at the transcript posted above... it doesnt sound like they are trashing the phone or mentioning any issues or major shortcomings over the competition which they may have been able to argue if they wanted to like waiting on stuff like video recording or hardware issues or whatever...

their main issue is that the phone has seem to have gotten lost in the sprint world and with other phones like droid and nexus that it is not one that comes to mind or people think of or consider.

honestly... how many people you know around you knew of the the palm pre when they first saw your phone... how many would know about the pixi. how often you see someone else with a pre or especially pixi?

when my co workers were phone shopping im not sure if they even really knew about the pre when shopping and they were looking... i had to remind them there is the pre on sprint and we are fairly techy/geeky to new stuff.

i have always said... sprint could have done more. i think palm could have done more even though really behind the eight ball with being with sprint. you saw the ads because you guys are palm fanatics and looking for it... other people may have saw the ads but nothing to keep their attention in considering it.
    Well, the question is will Verizon sink $50-100 million into advertising the Pre+ like they did for the droid. If you go by engadget's recent pod cast, the Pre+ could very well become verizon's flag ship phone, even considering the Nexus One. So Verizon could very well make people know about Palm's new offerings.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    for me what caught my attention of the verizon palm was that app that lets your phone be a router... yeah it probably is an extra charge for 'tethering' but still cool... and probably cool for people that dont wanna go the homebrew route like business phones.

that and sounds like different (better?) construction and the OS up getting to what the phone should have come out like (imo of course)... and their app store in better shape than before... i think verizon will give it a decent push and sell better than sprint with their customer base.

of course this is over 6 months after it's initial launch and the landscape has changed and verizon has some decent phones they didnt have last june with android (droid, eris and coming NEXUS) and possible iphone coming to verizon.

If they had this phone (hw and sw) last june with Verizon, android may have had a tougher time than they do now.

Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    Well, the question is will Verizon sink $50-100 million into advertising the Pre+ like they did for the droid. If you go by engadget's recent pod cast, the Pre+ could very well become verizon's flag ship phone, even considering the Nexus One. So Verizon could very well make people know about Palm's new offerings.
    heh, you also have to understand that they are at CES, all of them are running around doing about 100 things a day. Buzz Out Loud is usually a very good podcast, and the hosts are generally well informed, and if they aren't, the community does correct them. But you have to give them a bit of a free pass considering that at CES none of the people on the show that day were at the Palm keynote, and probably spent less than 5 minutes, total, looking at the news. I find most podcasts created at CES, by any publication, are significantly lower quality than their normal shows, and this was no exception.
    It's obviously a vast conspiracy to bring down Palm. I bet Apple & google are so afraid of people finding out about the superiority of the Pre that they have paid off every single reviewer to be unfairly critical toward Palm. There is just no other explanation!!
    This isn't the first time in recent times that they have simply decided that Palm is on its death bed. Since it seems that they make such assessments based not any actual research but merely speculation has led me to not go to their site anymore. I used to go there almost daily along with engadget for updates on what was going on in the tech world.

I don't understand why no one seems to point out that the Andriod phones (N1 and Droid) do not support multitouch. In fact I read somewhere that Googles CEO doesn't believe in multitouch so it would seem that they are not getting multitouch without hacking. If Palm had done such a thing they would be ripping Palm a new one for not incorporating a feature that all smartphones are moving towards.

Well I guess, good bye to CNET and download.com for me. Engadget and TWIT has meet my needs for tech news and will continue to do so.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Yeah, it's pretty obvious who has and who hasn't used a Pre.

Shine on, you crazy tech pundits. /sarcasm
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast