Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 60 of 60
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by rocknrollbandit View Post
    i'm not a fan of cnet at all
    They're beginning to lose my respect...some of their programs are enjoyable and many times their commentary is spot on, just not last week.

    Either way, I can always waste my time on other forums (engadget or otherwise) and bypass CNET's lack of effort. Sorli...
  2. #42  
    I'm a huge fan of engadget, but I don't understand their review critieria. Because in their review of the Hero, one of their comments was how laggy the hero was when switching days. Meanwhile, they didn't give that same criticism in their Pre review, yet prior to 1.3.5 switching days in the calendar was ridiculously slower for doing the same thing.

    Since their first review, I've felt that engadget has some sort of soft spot in their hearts for WebOS. Their review of the Pre is way more positive than my experience was back in the 1.0.x days.

    So, I'm really not impressed that engadget was impressed. $0.02.
    Twitter: dullgeek
  3. #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    I'm a huge fan of engadget, but I don't understand their review critieria. Because in their review of the Hero, one of their comments was how laggy the hero was when switching days. Meanwhile, they didn't give that same criticism in their Pre review, yet prior to 1.3.5 switching days in the calendar was ridiculously slower for doing the same thing.

    Since their first review, I've felt that engadget has some sort of soft spot in their hearts for WebOS. Their review of the Pre is way more positive than my experience was back in the 1.0.x days.

    So, I'm really not impressed that engadget was impressed. $0.02.
    My take on it is that WebOS was trying to do something different with HTML, Javascript and CSS as the main coding languages, while Android was really doing more of the same with C++. Also, when the hero came out, Android had been out for almost a year, my guess is they would expect more maturity from Android at that point (considering it is being supported by Google).
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  4. #44  
    the knob?? They obviously don't know what they're talking about...
  5. #45  
    Jeff Bakalar from the 404 actually owns a Pre and shows some love from time to time to Palm. Just a quick comment I do listen from time to time to buzz out loud but i grow weary of Tom Merrit's so over the top "Radio Voice" Just as I grow weary of Leo Laporte's voice as well. What do you guys think?
  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechalex View Post
    Jeff Bakalar from the 404 actually owns a Pre and shows some love from time to time to Palm. Just a quick comment I do listen from time to time to buzz out loud but i grow weary of Tom Merrit's so over the top "Radio Voice" Just as I grow weary of Leo Laporte's voice as well. What do you guys think?
    I'm thinking i went to cnet long ago to read articles & reviews. But they've gone downhill. It's not just from a Palm perspective either. They're very inconsistent.

    Still, if CNET isn't loving you, then the mainstream isn't either.

    I've yet to see my local paper's online site say one word about Palm or provide any links. I do see BB's network going down, ATT to release 5 androids, Google and Nexus, Anytime Jobs takes a dump, etc.

    Obviously, better apps wasn't the main issue or the magic pill Palm needed although Palm had no choice but to lay that foundation down now. But a great marketing campaign needs to kick in and sales need to increase.

    Being on V and ATT (later) is a great start though. That raises perceptions alone.

    Palm is like that nonBCS team though that has to keep clearing hurdles while in that lowly Sprint conference. Beat someone like Miami? Not good enough because the naysayers will simply say Miami was down. Undefeated? Not good enough. But being on V and AT&T is like joining a BCS conference. Now it just takes time & recruiting (hardware :P).
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    Treorock, I like the letter...Thanks for passing the word. Sorli...
    I think you're sorli mistaken.....

    and don't call me sorli....


  8.    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechalex View Post
    Jeff Bakalar from the 404 actually owns a Pre and shows some love from time to time to Palm. Just a quick comment I do listen from time to time to buzz out loud but i grow weary of Tom Merrit's so over the top "Radio Voice" Just as I grow weary of Leo Laporte's voice as well. What do you guys think?
    I think Jeff tried it out, but after about a week or so of battery reboot problems finally gave up on his unit. I may be wrong, but he and many other users at CNET got tired of ATT dropped calls on iPhones and most everyone dropped ship when the Droid came out.

    Bonnie mentioned liking the device, but is in a minority compared to Droid and iPhone fans.

    Tom is normally clear and spot on with his comments, but someone at CNET must be spiking the coffee since good things about Palm or anyone who is not an advertiser have gone on dead ears.

    Leo Laporte has been around long enough to get my respect as compared to the guys on 404 for CNET who think their Howard Stern for the Tech Industry. Actually, they're not that bad, but I've also stopped listening to them.
  9.    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    I think you're sorli mistaken.....

    and don't call me sorli....

    Cute...haven't heard that before, but he does make some good points and references things I did not mention in my previous post. Sorli...
  10. #50  
    Jeff bakalar stills has his palm pre, he mentioned it in one of their CES podcasts.

    As far as palm not getting love on BOL, I would agree but I would also say that BOL people are not very educated when it comes to cell phones. They have been wrong on certain specs for phones before, so I would take their cell knowledge with a grain of salt.
  11. #51  
    If they don't think Palm's gonna make it, that's unfortunate, but doesn't scream "bias." The fact that they don't know what the button's for suggests that they don't know enough about the phone. That said, they don't have to know everything about the Pre to see Palm's general direction and shortcomings.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  12. #52  
    Yea, Buzz Out Loud is a blessing and a curse. I love listening to the show, but if I want "real" news I'm off to actually read an article somewhere. They do a 40ish minute show where they do about 6 news stories, 2-3 voicemails, and 2-3 emails. Lets face it, that doesn't give them a lot of time to actually talk that much about any one story. Basically it's good for a skimming of the "buzz" of the day. It's not always perfect, but it fills 40 minutes of my work day quite nicely :P
  13. #53  
    Yeah Jeff still has his Pre, the first unit he had was replaced. He's also gone as far as mentioning the "homebrew scene"... Now that we're talking podcasts I would like to recommend noagendashow.com with Adam Curry and Dvorak I know it's not a tech podcast but a real great informative show.
  14. #54  
    Jeff Bakalar is on his 8th Pre. I think its kind of a joke to him now. I bet he gets a Nexus or some android device in the near future.
  15. #55  
    The sad truth is that the 1.0 Pre had some great things, and some things that suck. CNET was very positive when it came out, but has soured on it. It would be nice if Jeff Bakalar stays in it for the long haul, but if he doesn't there's nothing we can do. (and if I were Palm, I'd make sure he got a solid build quality phone like the one I have. I hear about the problems other people have, but mine is so solid I'm really puzzled about the differences in their production line)

    Listening to Jon Rubenstien's interview with Kara Swisher, it seems that Palm has something up its sleeve for next year's CES. If Palm can come out with a phone with solid build quality, and webos 2.0 and some really innovative design ideas, then BOL will be back on the Palm love train. But don't expect anything for a year.
  16. #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    Jeff Bakalar is on his 8th Pre. I think its kind of a joke to him now. I bet he gets a Nexus or some android device in the near future.
    And the Nexus has been having it's own share of issues...

    Google learning that users want real support for Nexus One
  17.    #57  
    Jeff...8th Pre...wow...that's scary. I remember when he first got it and had problems he implied it was time to say goodbye to his unit and return before 30-days were up.

    No telling, but if he's like any of us...webOS simply rocks and is hard to live without.

    Not sure though and thanks for the update. Sorli...
  18. #58  
    The problem with media today is that they decide what information is deemed important. You have too many extremes with tech sites.

    You have the BGR and All Things D sites which can't do a review of ANY phone without comparing it to their beloved Iphones and repeatedly telling you they carry Iphones. And how the IPhone this and the Iphone that but that the Nexus One/Droid/Pixi/Pre/Whatever Phone you Can Name still falls short of the glory of God errr..... Iphone. Just review the frickin phone on it own merit. I still have yet to see a review from Walt Mossberg of a phone without him comparing it to the Iphone and then telling you about his Iphone.

    Then you have sites like CNET where some of their written reviews are ok but the BOL videos and their Apples videos are just filling airtime with hot air.

    And then you have Engadget which gives you the news and reviews.

    I just try to get a little from each to determine if there is some sort of recurring theme.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
  19. #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    It sounds like the CNET guys simply don't know anything about the Pre and never bothered to find out about it. Their commentary on the "navigation knob" shows just how little they know about it. The reason for this is that CNET as "the media" is more interested in covering the "horse race" between the iPhone and Android. "Who will win the big mobile battle that we've chosen to hype?" Anything that doesn't fit into that narrative gets ignored. It's really no different from political news where the two major parties are discussed and third parties are ignored. You've heard of "too big to fail." Well Palm in the eyes of the media is "too small to succeed."
  20. #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthRepublican View Post
    It sounds like the CNET guys simply don't know anything about the Pre and never bothered to find out about it. Their commentary on the "navigation knob" shows just how little they know about it. The reason for this is that CNET as "the media" is more interested in covering the "horse race" between the iPhone and Android. "Who will win the big mobile battle that we've chosen to hype?" Anything that doesn't fit into that narrative gets ignored. It's really no different from political news where the two major parties are discussed and third parties are ignored. You've heard of "too big to fail." Well Palm in the eyes of the media is "too small to succeed."
    Could not have said it any better. The 'battle' between Google and Apple is a media made contest and one that they want to talk about. It's sexier to talk about how Google is trying to knock Apple down than it is to talk about how Palm has a nice system that competes. And as you mentioned anything that doesn't fit into the story they've decided to 'promote' doesn't warrant any attention.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions