Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by zulfaqar621 View Post
    This isn't the first time in recent times that they have simply decided that Palm is on its death bed. Since it seems that they make such assessments based not any actual research but merely speculation has led me to not go to their site anymore. I used to go there almost daily along with engadget for updates on what was going on in the tech world.

I don't understand why no one seems to point out that the Andriod phones (N1 and Droid) do not support multitouch. In fact I read somewhere that Googles CEO doesn't believe in multitouch so it would seem that they are not getting multitouch without hacking. If Palm had done such a thing they would be ripping Palm a new one for not incorporating a feature that all smartphones are moving towards.

Well I guess, good bye to CNET and download.com for me. Engadget and TWIT has meet my needs for tech news and will continue to do so.
    Actually, if you listen to Buzz Out Loud on a regular basis you'll know that they ***** about the Android Phones in the US not having multi-touch all the time. Same with their Cell phone podcast. 2 of the hosts own a droid, and trust me, they complain about it enough that you can't not notice.
    It wasn't a review. They were calling attention to the fact that Palm didn't really have anything game changing to announce; they're spot on.
    I'm afraid I can't let you do that.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    I agree. If anyone on the panel had used a pre recently they would realize that the iPhone seems a little dated and the Droid looks and feels prehistoric!
    I am sticking with Palm, and hope they make a laptop soon so I can sell my iBook.

EA
    And here's the deal...

Both Molly and Tom are old Palm users from way back. They loved Palm and still hold a special place in their heart for our favourite company, but the show Buzz Out Loud is about... Buzz. It's about what's hot. Not about what's successful.

Blackberry is the most successful smart phone maker, but you'd never know it listening to BOL. They have had many ridiculous statements about Palm, (Tom claimed that Verizon refuses to sell the Pre) particularly in their end of 2009 show, and I'm sure that I, and many others have sent emails to them about Palm but they won't air them. It's frustrating and it's taken me a long while to go back to their podcast. I know the show is about Buzz, but when they say things that are obviously wrong (about Verizon not picking up the Pre) it makes it hard to take anything they say seriously. And yet...

Palm didn't sell as many Pre's as they (and we) had hoped with Sprint (and Bell here in Canada). And both the Pre and Pixi have some basic functionality to catch up with (voice dailing, spell check, etc) We all know that the Pre WILL have this functionality, and that it will kick ***, but it's not there yet, and they can only report on what they see.

Personally I think that Palm will do okay this year. Not crazy stellar, they'll do okay. And I'm pretty certain that they're working on another form factor that they will only release when it's ready. And when webos reaches 2.0, then Buzz Out Loud will have something to buzz about. I honestly think that if Molly would give the platform a try, at that time, then she'll be converted. But until then, don't expect any love from the Buzz crew.
    Last edited by Vociferous; 01/10/2010 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Had to change my opinion about something.
    If Palm had shown up with some new hardware and had 1.4 ready (not ready in Feb), then they'd probably get some love.

As it is, they're inviting reviews later this month of "plus" versions still using 1.3.5. Meanwhile, Sprint slept through CES. Guess the buzzer didn't go off for them.

Palm, in a financial mess, will give out video recording (that noone will know about besides us owners) for free 3 months prior to a new cycle (one assumes). They might want to save some of that to sell their next phone with.

I love webOS but being hot is about marketing and Palm sucks at it. Let's hope the carriers can help them out.
    they sound like a bunch of little kids. And very close mind it that the only good phone is the one they use. You know they are the experts they only use the best. One of them says she never even think to give it a try, so how she can comment if she never used it.
    I've been listening Buzz Out Loud since their early days when Veronica Belmont would hardly say a word. However, recently they've become more of a place for Apple and Google news. Good or bad, they spend a lot of time talking about every single thing that Apple and Google do. Palm has never had any popularity there and if you compare the CES Engadget podcast to the CES BOL podcast, it is like night and day. Today, I've decided to stop listening to their podcasts because all they do is praise Apple and google. I mean it has become so obvious that they are getting money from Apple and Google that you just can't believe what they are saying anymore.
    a letter to them

Hi Buzz crew,

In Episode 1041 I've come to the conclusion that BOL has become a place for Apple and Google *******. Your segment about Palm was very negative and closed minded. Palm keynote was fantastic for the tech world in all aspects. They are launching on Verizon with 2 new versions of the Palm Pre and Pixi and ATT said they are launching 2 new WebOS phones this year. Also, Palm has partnered with EA and other big companies to bring 3D games to WebOS, which are currently available on the App Catalog. Adobe Flash is about to be released and the new WebOS PDK is going to open door to developers for new extensions plus many more interesting news. Why is CNET trying to make Palm look like there was nothing good about the Pre and WebOS? I really don't understand. On the other hand, Engadget has been more objective and gave a less biased review of Palm's keynote.

Maybe Engadget is a better podcast.

FYI, there are a bunch of angry people at precentral.net regarding Episode 1041

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...s-no-love.html

Losing love on the show,
    I know Treorock, and I'm trying hard to give the Buzz crew the benefit of the doubt, but I'm finding it hard to listen too. But I think it's all about expectations. If you expect them to be the place where you'll get the truth about tech, they you'll be disappointed. If you expect to hear some witty banter and the occasional interesting tech news tidbit then it's fine. Just don't expect more.

But hey, lets count our blessings. Palm could have folded. They hired the guy who oversaw the development of the imac, the ipod, the iphone, and itunes. He's got tons of experience, he knows what he's doing. Palm should have done so many things, so long ago, but that's all ancient history now.

They've released a phone that's really good and can only get better. What matters is getting Palm into all carriers and into as many markets all over the world, as soon as possible. Jon has been there before with Apple, he's got the connections, he's not an *****. They're doing the best they can with the resources they have. that's what matters. CNet and Buzz Out Loud doesn't matter.
    I hope they read your email on the podcast. I've sent a few and they've all been ignored. I guess they must get a couple thousand every day, but here's hoping that you and the other Pre owners out there will have some effect.

Personally I'm tired of sending emails, but its nice to see you still have the energy, good luck and here's hoping they listen.

Who knows, maybe you've inspired me to write just one more...
    Did they even go to the press event? It doesn't sound like it. All they see is the picture and think, remove button, thats it. Thats not just it, the increased storage/ram, better apps with 3d gaming now, voice recording, flash, open development/app distribution. Agghh!

EDIT: And wow Treorock...your just asking for your letter not to be heard on the podcast! :O
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    If Palm had shown up with some new hardware and had 1.4 ready (not ready in Feb), then they'd probably get some love.

As it is, they're inviting reviews later this month of "plus" versions still using 1.3.5. Meanwhile, Sprint slept through CES. Guess the buzzer didn't go off for them.

Palm, in a financial mess, will give out video recording (that noone will know about besides us owners) for free 3 months prior to a new cycle (one assumes). They might want to save some of that to sell their next phone with.

I love webOS but being hot is about marketing and Palm sucks at it. Let's hope the carriers can help them out.
    Yeesh.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    I don't think these people realize that by just loving a product for the sake of loving it regardless of how it is innovating in the present rather than how it innovated in the past, they are limiting future improvements and competition for those said devices.

Also, the best thing about WebOS is simple. You can hate on it all you want, but I promise you when you use it you will be baffled at its uniqueness and usability. Does it have room to grow? Yes, but as we've seen with Palm's track record they are making every possible move to grow and evolve the OS.

Also, screw them. If they want to be biased and talk about Apple and Google all day that is their prerogative, but at the end of the day being a close-minded in the tech industry will only leave them in a position for an epic fail.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Yeesh.
    gesundheit
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by CannonFodder View Post
    They spent about a minute and a half talking about Palm, and I kinda get the feeling that that's about as much time as they spent researching the changes and considering the future implications and what they were going to say. I agree with Complex Pants that none of them sounds like they have spent any time with any WebOS device in the recent past nor with the Nexus One (which seems to be suffering a customer service assistance availability issue).
    Yes I agree completely...shame though and I guess most people don't care enough to do the research. I'm glad we have Precentral.net!!!
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    when you look at the transcript posted above... it doesnt sound like they are trashing the phone or mentioning any issues or major shortcomings over the competition which they may have been able to argue if they wanted to like waiting on stuff like video recording or hardware issues or whatever...

their main issue is that the phone has seem to have gotten lost in the sprint world and with other phones like droid and nexus that it is not one that comes to mind or people think of or consider.

honestly... how many people you know around you knew of the the palm pre when they first saw your phone... how many would know about the pixi. how often you see someone else with a pre or especially pixi?

when my co workers were phone shopping im not sure if they even really knew about the pre when shopping and they were looking... i had to remind them there is the pre on sprint and we are fairly techy/geeky to new stuff.

i have always said... sprint could have done more. i think palm could have done more even though really behind the eight ball with being with sprint. you saw the ads because you guys are palm fanatics and looking for it... other people may have saw the ads but nothing to keep their attention in considering it.
    Yes you make good points and are entirely correct that I know very little people who've purchased Palm devices let alone the Palm Pre or Pixi. I'm just happy that things are beginning to look up when it comes to Palm, webOS 1.4, hardware support, Flash and the list goes on.

I also hope Palm, Sprint and now Verizon gets the word out sooner then later that things are improving and Palm has made long strides since they were released last year.
    My dad just got a Pre, and he was amazed at how simple it was to update. He was stunned that the update auto-downloaded in the background and then he just hit "install" and a few minutes later everything was up and running fine.

The word will get out. In particular if Big Red spends some money advertising the Pre+ like they did for the Droid.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Quote Originally Posted by JayVee View Post
    It wasn't a review. They were calling attention to the fact that Palm didn't really have anything game changing to announce; they're spot on.
    I disagree. Their new app distribution method is very different and will change how people get apps. It is completely wireless and allows for people to search for apps online or on their phone. It allows for developers to develop their app stores. It gives a lot of freedom to developers and consumers.

Also, the 3D gaming, while is not new, they are the only other device besides the iPhone that does this. So, all of sudden there is a choice for people to make. Choices are good and create competition which is good for the industry.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by JayVee View Post
    Actually, what they really said was:

Palm used to have a great restaurant, 10 years ago they served the best Spaghetti and Meatballs, and things were even good when we ate there a year ago, but be warned...now the food sucks, will make you sick, and give you constipation. Anyone in our audience still hungry....anyone...

They don't have to do a review or say anything specific...their the PRESS. All the press has to do is imply something factual, plausible, or otherwise and viewers believe it. Heck, half the world still thinks politician are honest...

You mentioned, "they're spot on."

I'm confused, they didn't say anything so how can it be spot on? I guess Palm reinventing itself in 1 year that took Apple 3.5 years to accomplish isn't that ground breaking. Apple still doesn't have Multitasking and I'm amazed how little press this gets when Multitasking is so important on the Mac platform and I use it everyday on my Pre.

Obviously, I'm wasting my time with you... Sorli...
  20.    #40  
    Treorock, I like the letter...Thanks for passing the word. Sorli...
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast