Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    I'd like the next webos device to be a big brother to the pixi - the same candybar style except with a 320x480 resolution screen.

I realize it would be taller than the pixi, but would an extra vertical 80 pixels make it too long? Considering that the pixi screen is slimmer than the pre screen, it would be quite a bit shorter than the pre with the keyboard extended out.

Would anyone else go for a big brother to the pixi - slimmer than the pre, but slightly longer than the pixi? Anybody think the design will be to long and cumbersome?
    Rishi O.
    Nah, most likely they will cover their bases with either an all touch-screen device or a horizontal slider keyboard device. Or perhaps a MID. You never know. I think it wouldnt' hurt to suggest they will up the resolution as well.
    at this point, i think the difference of screen size is less important than what palm has in mind with WebOS on Pixi.

if 3D games and PDK, and all the apps will be same, I doubt extra 80pixel vertical is a killer for users.
    I don't think this style would be good for gaming. It would be awkward. The only way I see a bigger screen coming to WebOS is if they do I droid style phone with the keyboard coming out from side OR an all touchscreen phone.
    Flip.
    i think its best for palm to be maintaining less complicated branches of variations of WebOS. easy for developer, easy for palm, easy for users.

I dont know if its good business practice. But Pixi hardware is capable of 3D gaming, 200MHz GPU with hardware-accelerated 3D graphics core supporting OPEN GL 2.0, 600/400MHz CPU, 256MB RAM, ....
    Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    i think its best for palm to be maintaining less complicated branches of variations of WebOS. easy for developer, easy for palm, easy for users.

I dont know if its good business practice. But Pixi hardware is capable of 3D gaming, 200MHz GPU, 600/400MHz CPU, 256MB RAM, ....
    you mean Pre hardware
    The OP's form factor is one I could get behind. I would only buy a device that has a vertical physical keyboard. I have no interest in a slab or or a on screen keyboard.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by digink View Post
    you mean Pre hardware
    no, i meant pixi, that spec is for Pixi.
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    The problem with horizontal slider is that webOS is optimized for vertical usage. Searching within the contact app, for example, wouldn't work so well in horizontal mode. Vertical keyboards are also slower to type on since the thumbs have to stretch further to reach the keys. It's faster and more efficient to type on portrait keyboards on smartphones since the thumbs don't have to travel as far horizontally.

The problem with touchscreen is that they take up half the screen, palm would have to design a new gesture to slide up the keyboard, and many of web os features wouldn't work without a hardware keyboard. For example, how can you select text without a shift button on the physical keyboard? I'm open to a keyboardless device, but no virtual keyboard i have tried is half as good as the palm pixi keyboard.

The problem with sliders and such is that they create complexity in ergonomics and hardware design. More moving parts means more prone to failure, more time to slide things up and down, uncomfortable hand positions.

I really like the pixi design. It's solid, simple, and works well. I like how a virtual keyboard doesn't take up half the screen and I don't have to slide up and down to use a physical keyboard. The only thing I don't like is that it is designed as a lower-end phone compared to the pre with lower specs and a smaller screen.

I want a pixi-like candybar design but with the specs of the pre (or better). I don't think you'll see some of those pdk games on the pre for the pixi because they were designed with a 320x480 equivalent resolution in mind. Using apps like a camera, or watching video are also better suited for a more rectangle screen rather than a squarish one like the pixi.

I think it's great that they have a low-end pixi model for people wanting a small, less techy device used mainly for communication. But for people who demand more out of a smartphone, using built in navigation, watching videos, taking video, music making programs, browsing the web..etc.. I'd like to see a big brother to the device with the same styling. Kind of like the Palm Pro (i think that's what it was called) was to the Palm Centro.
    Rishi O.
    Quote Originally Posted by storino03 View Post
    I think it wouldnt' hurt to suggest they will up the resolution as well.
    As a developer, I hope not.

Truthfully, I don't think Palm will announce another form factor, but instead upgrade the Pre/Pixi's specs (memory, RAM, processor, graphics, etc).
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
    Personally, I like the option of hiding the keyboard occasionally. I think Palm would do well to keep the Pre form factor, just toughen it up a bit.
    Ugh, screw landscape keyboards. Switching aspect ratio to type something is a terrible experience.

All a new Pre needs is to be thinner and have a larger screen, in addition to beefier specs. And 4G.
    all it needs is an official virtual keyboard to satisfy everyone on the pre. People say the 3.1 display makes for an ineffective keyboard, but the samsung instict has just that and the keyboard is just fine.
    what I would like to see is a touch screen with a side slide out keyboard, like the Samsung Moment. Anyone else???
    I think they need a candybar phone with no keyboard just like iphone and nexus and droid eres. These phones cover another big group of people that dont need or want the keyboard. I would buy a pre that looked like nexus one right away. I dont want the keyboard and would like the screen bigger. Also the phone would feel much better made without the slider.
    Quote Originally Posted by rishio View Post
    I want a pixi-like candybar design but with the specs of the pre (or better). I don't think you'll see some of those pdk games on the pre for the pixi because they were designed with a 320x480 equivalent resolution in mind. Using apps like a camera, or watching video are also better suited for a more rectangle screen rather than a squarish one like the pixi.

I think it's great that they have a low-end pixi model for people wanting a small, less techy device used mainly for communication. But for people who demand more out of a smartphone, using built in navigation, watching videos, taking video, music making programs, browsing the web..etc.. I'd like to see a big brother to the device with the same styling. Kind of like the Palm Pro (i think that's what it was called) was to the Palm Centro.
    I totally agree and would definitely buy that phone. Having a centro makes me really appreciate that form factor (candybar w/ full qwerty). It just needs a bigger screen and it would be perfect. I actually prefer a slightly longer (taller) phone, anyway.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    I think a 320x480 on top of a keyboard on a slab would look disproportional, not to mention the balance might be off when oporated with one hand. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for large screens but not at the expense of ergonomics. Imagine your thumb having to reach the top of the touch screen when using one hand.
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    I don't know. The screen doesn't have to be as big as the one one the palm pre to be 320x480. The palm pixi screen is narrower (i think) allowing it to be smaller at 320x480 than the current screen of the Pre.

80 pixels taller than the pixi might work out alright.

I'm not happy with sliding the pre keyboard back and forth and using the device with the keyboard open - it just doesn't sit very well in my hand.

Quote Originally Posted by RafRol View Post
    I think a 320x480 on top of a keyboard on a slab would look disproportional, not to mention the balance might be off when oporated with one hand. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for large screens but not at the expense of ergonomics. Imagine your thumb having to reach the top of the touch screen when using one hand.
    Rishi O.
    Global Posts
    401 Global Posts
    I personally can't survive with only a virtual keyboard, but I wonder if Palm will ever release a device that relies on one. You know, like a webOs version of the iPhone.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast