Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Only way this will happen is an all touchscreen device. I don't see Palm making a horizontal keyboard phone as they seem to have a one handed design philosophy, which I love. A 320x480 with keyboard candybar style, that would be one long device, or one tiny device with a too small screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by LupeValenz View Post
    Only way this will happen is an all touchscreen device. I don't see Palm making a horizontal keyboard phone as they seem to have a one handed design philosophy, which I love. A 320x480 with keyboard candybar style, that would be one long device, or one tiny device with a too small screen.
    I agree w/ you about not being able to see Palm making a horizontal slider. But I also think they won't make a pure slab (ala iphone), at least not yet. They're just too invested in the 'our phone has a real keyboard' argument of why their phones are better.

I just don't think it's impossible, ergonomically, to make a 320x480 full qwerty candybar w/ the right screen size (not as big as a pre, slightly bigger than a pixi). It would make for a longer phone than the pixi, but not as long as the pre with the keyboard extended. I would make the argument that if it's ok to make a large phone with a large screen, like the HTC HD2, it should be ok to make a (probably somewhat) smaller phone with a medium size screen and a full exposed keyboard.

Somebody did a mockup in another thread of what the next palm phone could look like (would post the link, but I don't have enough posts...). It has the pixi's resolution w/ a slightly larger screen but I think you could easily take that idea and add 80 pixels to it and come up with a fine looking phone. Maybe you couldn't do *everything* one-handed, but I would bet it would be generally easier to operate one-handed than the current pre.

Here's the (almost) link to the other thread - just add 'http:' + '//forums.precentral.net' to the beginning:
    future-palm-devices/213028-quick-mockup-what-i-think-next-palm-phone-will-look-like.html
    Apple's way is not the best, by any stretch. No virtual keyboard, no landscape slider.

Palm has revolutionized text input in the past, they can do it again.
    Ugh, I am not a fan of the touchscreen keyboard as the only option.

I have never used a landscape slider but I am open to the idea.
    Prolly not... I don't see how it could be designed without looking awkwardly tall, and I wouldn't like something that's basically and always-open Pre...
    FLIP!

and as far as one handed philosophy...are you guys talking about now or always?

cause what's one handed about a stylus touchscreen?
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GoTitans View Post
    I don't think this style would be good for gaming. It would be awkward. The only way I see a bigger screen coming to WebOS is if they do I droid style phone with the keyboard coming out from side OR an all touchscreen phone.
    I for one hate horizontal sliders. It kills one hand usages. How can you pop open the phone in one hand, much less than typing one hand? With vertical slider, I can open the phone in one hand and start typing.

For OP's question, I would consider such a design, but I am more concerned about processing power than screen size. Processor and memory are big factor on a multitask system, because it would never be enough. It is a matter of how many apps you can open at the same time.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
    Quote Originally Posted by saluki42 View Post
    Ugh, I am not a fan of the touchscreen keyboard as the only option.

I have never used a landscape slider but I am open to the idea.
    I've used several over the span of years, as well as several portrait keyboards. You don't have to take my word, but landscape does suck.
  9. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    This is the best form factor they can ever imagine.
    Its pocketable, sleek, solid, good screen size and what not.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12