Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Hi to everyone, I'm new to the forum and kudos to the community for the wonderful contribution, guides, home-brew apps, I'm sure this is going to excel my Palm Pre experience by 10 folds.

I am a ardent cell phone lover, and always do my homework before investing into an expensive device. I bought my GSM Pre today and before that I did read about the new Palm Pre Plus... after reading all the rumors about the Palm Pre Plus having 512MB RAM and many people over here cribbing of not being able to benefit of the upcoming webOS 1.4.... I think they all are sadly mistaken.

Firstly, the Palm Pre (8GB) and Palm Pre Plus (16GB) come with the very same processor and PowerVR SGX chipset as the iPhone 3GS. The iPhone 3GS uses PowerVR SGX 520 which is a low-end chipset, whereas the Palm Pre has a higher end PowerVR SGX 530 chipset. So in short the Palm Pre can perform better than the iPhone 3GS in regards to 3D Gaming and other multimedia operations.

I don't know about the credibility of the people who claim that the new Palm Pre Plus has 512MB RAM but my search on reputed blogs such as FoneArena and PhoneArena do not mention 512MB Ram and I'm sure most of the phone phreaks will not deny the credibility of this site which clearly states the Palm Pre Plus having 256MB RAM which is the same as Palm Pre.

Code:
    hxxp://pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&id=2176&c=palm_pre_plus
    Having said that, the only difference between a Palm Pre VS Palm Pre Plus is
    • 16GB of internal memory
    • Removal of the track ball
    • Improved Keyboard
    • Pre-installed with webOS 1.4 (which sooner or later ALL webOS device will get an upgrade) i.e. you can use ALL the features of webOS 1.4 on your current GSM Palm Pre's - unlike the iPhone.

EDIT:This has turned out to be a very informative thread regarding the core internals of the phone. Everyone please read and contribute.
    Last edited by Jibreil; 01/10/2010 at 02:28 PM.
    That site you mention also lists a picture of the original pre, not the pre plus next to those specs as well as the specs say preliminary.
    engadget said its 512MB.

It probably means when play 3D games, users will be able to open more apps along with it. It may be only marginally important depends on the improvement of OS, apps, and individual usage habit.
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    It's been confirmed over and over again. It's 512mb's..
    -mark
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    That site you mention also lists a picture of the original pre, not the pre plus next to those specs as well as the specs say preliminary.
    They have listed the picture of the current Pre, but even Engaged refers to pdadb many times as their hardware specs are 98% correct for upcoming phone models.

Quote Originally Posted by diomark View Post
    -mark
    Okay if you say so, but yet if the iPhone 3GS can perform its high end multimedia functions, run resource heavy apps + 3D Gaming very well with 256MB RAM, and no doubt the webOS seems like a much better OS to me... shouldn't be a problem with the existing RAM.

If you are hinting at Multi-Tasking 3D Apps, running a movie, the browser at the same time ... then that's something we will have to wait and see with webOS 1.4

I've even used the Nokia N900 which has Cortex A8 processor + 256MB RAM and can multi-task 30 apps at a given time.
    Last edited by Jibreil; 01/10/2010 at 02:13 PM.
    i couldnt find a 512mb processor on TI's site.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibreil View Post
    • Removal of the track ball
    • Pre-installed with webOS 1.4 (which sooner or later ALL webOS device will get an upgrade) i.e. you can use ALL the features of webOS 1.4 on your current GSM Palm Pre's - unlike the iPhone.
    For someone who does so much research, you'd think you'd realize that one, the Pre doesn't have a track ball, it's just a button, and two, all of the devices at CES except the ones used to demo video recording were running 1.3.5.1.

There were a few that had 1.4 for video recording, but it's most likely that in two weeks the Plus will ship with 1.3.5.1 as well, and get the update in February.

As for 512 MB RAM, I don't know how many more times it can be confirmed. Palm engineers confirmed it to #webos-internals. There's another thread here where someone who was at CES had it confirmed to them by multiple reps. There's the fact it was used as two separate bullet points in the presentation, which isn't confirmation, but as someone who's given a couple (obviously smaller) presentations, you wouldn't use two separate bullets if it's referring to the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    there was someone on site yesturday talking to a phone rep. for palm playing around with the pre plus and was told directly it was 512 so.....
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    there was someone on site yesturday talking to a phone rep. for palm playing around with the pre plus and was told directly it was 512 so.....

my point is, im not calling anyone a liar and im not saying it hasnt been "confiremed," but considering the Snapdragon's are the only one's to date to have 512mb, this would be big news in the tech circles.

and nobody is talking about it other than us.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    engadget said its 512MB.

It probably means when play 3D games, users will be able to open more apps along with it. It may be only marginally important depends on the improvement of OS, apps, and individual usage habit.
    I tend to agree with this: more RAM would mean better performance when running more cards, and fewer "Too many cards" errors. Until the memory is saturated, however, performance should be the same.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  12. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Incorrect on the GPU differences between the Pre and the 3GS. While they both use the OMAP3430 Processor and PowerVR GPU, The 3GS uses the SGX535, and the Pre has the SGX530.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    -mark
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    For someone who does so much research, you'd think you'd realize that one, the Pre doesn't have a track ball, it's just a button, and two, all of the devices at CES except the ones used to demo video recording were running 1.3.5.1.

There were a few that had 1.4 for video recording, but it's most likely that in two weeks the Plus will ship with 1.3.5.1 as well, and get the update in February.

As for 512 MB RAM, I don't know how many more times it can be confirmed. Palm engineers confirmed it to #webos-internals. There's another thread here where someone who was at CES had it confirmed to them by multiple reps. There's the fact it was used as two separate bullet points in the presentation, which isn't confirmation, but as someone who's given a couple (obviously smaller) presentations, you wouldn't use two separate bullets if it's referring to the same thing.
    I ordered my Pre today but it will be delivered tomorrow, so I wouldn't know whether its a track ball or a button. My homework is more of based on OS, hardware, performance and functionality. The buttons are secondary which I don't normally pay attention to.

Being fairly new here, didn't browse much or wasn't aware to know the sources hence I wrote about the credibility. Now since it's confirmed well and good. Thanks for the heads up.
  14. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post

my point is, im not calling anyone a liar and im not saying it hasnt been "confiremed," but considering the Snapdragon's are the only one's to date to have 512mb, this would be big news in the tech circles.

and nobody is talking about it other than us.
    The RAM isn't soldered to the CPU - check out iFixit's teardown.
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Keep this in mind. The current 'too many cards error" that people get, especially with games, is because the current Pre does not have enough memory to truly multitask these high-end games..

-mark
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I tend to agree with this: more RAM would mean better performance when running more cards, and fewer "Too many cards" errors. Until the memory is saturated, however, performance should be the same.
    True, I for one don't normally keep many "task" running in the background so it wouldn't matter much. Is there a app like WinMo or iPhone that cleans the RAM automatically?

Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    Incorrect on the GPU differences between the Pre and the 3GS. While they both use the OMAP3430 Processor and PowerVR GPU, The 3GS uses the SGX535, and the Pre has the SGX530.
    I got this information from AnandTech's website which quotes:

The SGX ranges from the PowerVR SGX 520 which only has one USSE pipe to the high end SGX 543MP16 which has 64 USSE2 pipes (4 USSE2 pipes per core x 16 cores). The iPhone 3GS, I believe, uses the 520 - the lowest end of the new product offering.
    Keep this in mind. The current 'too many cards error" that people get, especially with games, is because the current Pre does not have enough memory to truly multitask these high-end games..

-mark
    Don't you think its probably a fault in the webOS, may be initially it wasn't developed with the intention to be able to run 3D Games - I'm saying this on the basis of comparing with Nokia N900 which is running Maemo and the same core internals of the Palm Pre. It is capable of multi-tasking Apps, 3D Games, Movies, Music that too up to 30 apps at the same time.
    Last edited by Jibreil; 01/10/2010 at 02:27 PM.
  17. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Anandtech is incorrect.
    The RAM isn't soldered to the CPU - check out iFixit's teardown.
    TI should update their website then so that the other phone manufacturers can get in on this action.
    They don't both use the 3430. The iPhone 3GS does use a Cortex A8 CPU, but it is a Samsung processor that is rated at 833MHz (factory underclocked to 600).
  20. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dallashigh View Post
    They don't both use the 3430. The iPhone 3GS does use a Cortex A8 CPU, but it is a Samsung processor that is rated at 833MHz (factory underclocked to 600).
    You're right, my mistake.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast