Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    401 Global Posts
    sotoman7 I agree with all your points wholeheartedly about there being no increased double RAM, but rwhitby says he spoke with actual Palm reps on IRC and they confirmed it:

http://forums.precentral.net/2145001-post48.html
    I'm still a little iffy on the increased ram as well. First off, no one in Palm has explicitly said the words "the Palm Pre plus has double the RAM" or "the Pre Plus has 512mb of RAM." From a PRPRPR $perspective$ $this$ $makes$ $absolutely$ $NO$ $SENSE$. $That$'$s$ $a$ $pretty$ $big$ $deal$, $at$ $least$ $in$ $my$ $opinion$ $and$ $it$'$s$ $something$ $that$ $Palm$ $should$ $be$ $shouting$ $from$ $the$ $rooftops$ $to$ $get$ $Verizon$ $users$ $to$ $want$ $a$ $Pre$ $Plus$.

Secondly, the press release, which ought to be the Bible as far as the Pre Plus is concerned, makes absolutely no mention of any such upgrade either.

I really think this might go either way still, let's see what happens...hoping for double the RAM even though I bought my Pre last week...after all, what's it cost me?
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    Incorrect on the GPU differences between the Pre and the 3GS. While they both use the OMAP3430 Processor and PowerVR GPU, The 3GS uses the SGX535, and the Pre has the SGX530.
    Well the 3GS use the powervr gpu sgx535, but do not use the TI omap3430 .The 3GS use a samsung one.The droid and pre use the same one,Texas Instruments OMAP3430SGX530 + Cortex-A8.
    Sorry, some one already clarify That.
    Global Posts
    401 Global Posts
    akashhhhh: Well in 15 days we'll know for sure. I would be a slightly-less disgruntled Sprint customer if it still ran the stock 256
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Yea I wont be a disturbed either.
    Quote Originally Posted by sotoman7 View Post
    Memory refers to the storage on the pre just take a close look at the spec sheet for the pre plus. memory=16gb. so the comment double the internal memory is not a reason to think it comes with 512mb.
    the guys at pdadb have it listed with 256mb

But all the freezing up on these apps has to do with the os not clearing the ram. so it doesn't matter how much ram you have it will eventually have the errors.
    Quote Originally Posted by akashhhhh View Post
    I'm still a little iffy on the increased ram as well. First off, no one in Palm has explicitly said the words "the Palm Pre plus has double the RAM" or "the Pre Plus has 512mb of RAM." From a PRPRPR $perspective$ $this$ $makes$ $absolutely$ $NO$ $SENSE$. $That$'$s$ $a$ $pretty$ $big$ $deal$, $at$ $least$ $in$ $my$ $opinion$ $and$ $it$'$s$ $something$ $that$ $Palm$ $should$ $be$ $shouting$ $from$ $the$ $rooftops$ $to$ $get$ $Verizon$ $users$ $to$ $want$ $a$ $Pre$ $Plus$.

Secondly, the press release, which ought to be the Bible as far as the Pre Plus is concerned, makes absolutely no mention of any such upgrade either.

I really think this might go either way still, let's see what happens...hoping for double the RAM even though I bought my Pre last week...after all, what's it cost me?
    At least three Palm engineers have publicly confirmed double ram (512MB) and double flash (16GB), confirming what was said by the CEO on stage in the public keynote.

Really, why are people so unwilling to accept these clear and unambiguous facts?

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    401 Global Posts
    Just that darned work "memory." Probably wouldn't be such a cluster here on the forum if the Palm Pre Plus site said "Double internal storage and double the RAM" rather than "The new Palm Pre™ Plus phone gives you double the memory." Then it goes on to make no mention of physical RAM in the specs sheet.

Don't think I'm claiming you're incorrect, rwhitby, as you said you're in contact with the Palm devs, I'm just saying it may have been a bad choice of words to use if they don't detail RAM specifications on any sort of paperwork for the general speculating public.

The word "memory" melts consumers minds.
    This thread is sounding like the NFS video thread. More egg on the face of doubters coming up. You don't know more that the reputable sources saying that it is 512, so why dispute it. Let's just wait and see.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    This thread is sounding like the NFS video thread. More egg on the face of doubters coming up. You don't know more that the reputable sources saying that it is 512, so why dispute it. Let's just wait and see.
    +1
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    At least three Palm engineers have publicly confirmed double ram (512MB) and double flash (16GB), confirming what was said by the CEO on stage in the public keynote.

Really, why are people so unwilling to accept these clear and unambiguous facts?

-- Rod
    as of right now it really isn't fact. it's people interpreting words.

i hope the Plus DOES have 512MB of RAM. i really do.

id just like to see some actual documentation saying that, plain as day, without room for misinterpretation.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    I don't think there's going to be "egg" on anyone's face. I don't think it's a really big deal either way, chances are it DOES have more memory but they've done a REALLY terrible job of making that clear. It would be a pretty big selling point, especially as a criticism of the Pre has been the "too many cards" error, etc. Even if more RAM won't fix that, it would certainly make tech-savvy consumers feel a bit better about their purchase.

Anyway, there's reason for doubt. God forbid anyone be lowered in the eyes of the Internet...
    I'm curious whether doubling the RAM is for performance or will it allow additional features/functions the original Pre is incapable of running.
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts

-- Rod
    Because they do not want to believe that Verizon is getting +1 over Sprint since Palm and Sprint are bed buddies. Sprint users have been happy talking smack about all of the crappy and crippled phones that Verizon has been known for and now Verizon gets the Droid and a better Pre....
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    I'm curious whether doubling the RAM is for performance or will it allow additional features/functions the original Pre is incapable of running.
    Well, it might allow more thing to stay in memory while many apps are open, so the device may appear snappier. Also, it will let you load up more apps. I know right now I can have NFS and maybe 2 other apps open atm. One poster on here said that he got NFS, Monopoly and another game up and running on the Pre+.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    and i quote:

We doubled the internal memory. So you get increased performace and you can do more complicated tasks. Like those 3D games we showed you. Pre plus comes with 16GB of flash memory which will allow to store more of your stuff like videos, photos, music, applications, whatever.
    these are also 2 separate bullet points in the presentation

heres picture for proof

heres the video start at about 40:20.

Quote Originally Posted by Vimick View Post
    and i quote:

these are also 2 separate bullet points in the presentation

heres picture for proof

heres the video start at about 40:20.

Thank you Vimick! That is exactly what I interpreted from the presentation. I don't understand why people don't understand this... It is clear.
    Palm Pre Plus, Pixi Plus, gaming hands-on | Electronista

We could swear the phones are faster than before, though Palm tells us that the hardware is largely the same. Aside from the increased capacity on the Pre Plus, most of the speedup is attributable to minor hardware tweaks as well as the webOS 1.3.5 firmware that has already been available for weeks.
    http://www.betanews.com/article/Palm...-25/1262898375

The Palm Pre Plus comes with double the internal memory of the original, bringing storage to 16GB.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibreil View Post
    I ordered my Pre today but it will be delivered tomorrow, so I wouldn't know whether its a track ball or a button. My homework is more of based on OS, hardware, performance and functionality. The buttons are secondary which I don't normally pay attention to.

Being fairly new here, didn't browse much or wasn't aware to know the sources hence I wrote about the credibility. Now since it's confirmed well and good. Thanks for the heads up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibreil View Post
    True, I for one don't normally keep many "task" running in the background so it wouldn't matter much. Is there a app like WinMo or iPhone that cleans the RAM automatically?.
    hmm..
    Are you going to believe Electronista and betanews or Palm themselves?

Also, can you tell me how adding 8gb of storage is going to increase performance and allow more complicated tasks? Storage is just storage. You're not going to see an increase of performance with a bigger hard drive. You only see that with increased RAM.

-- Rod
    Sorry but there is rampant ambiguity (as well as jealousy) surrounding the "internal RAM." So far there is hearsay and no solid evidence and an unclear press conference with bullet points that are unclear. I'm going with 512m prediction but i wouldn't bet on 512 even though the evidence points a little more in that direction. Nevertheless what evidence we have of 512 would not hold up on even civil court. Someone needs to get info from Lexis/Nexis to see the contract specs.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast