Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Hmmmmm does editing a post more than three times delete your post automatically?
    Have you not seen the video CES presentation by Palm? It's on youtube. During the announcement of the Pre Plus Jon Rubenstein clearly says it contains double the internal memory allowing increased performance and more complicated tasks. I have no clue how people turned the fact it has 512MB RAM into a rumor. Palm announced it why are you second guessing them?

The video is on youtube (I guess I can't post links for some stupid reason) skip to 40:30 to see where he says that it has 2x the memory of the Pre.
    Actually, it's not the the current Pre's can't handle 256MB of RAM, it's that the way it's done isn't efficient enough. You shouldn't have to get "no more cards can be opened" error messages when nothing is open at all. Simply chalk it up to the oS not being optimized/efficient enough yet. Certainly, teh Verizon's 512MB of ram will help, but it can only go so far before the memory leaks happen again
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    true, there's optimization that has to happen.

But also realize that the new games such as sims3 require as much as 100mb of memory. (check the appinfo file on the games. Sims is set to 100mb's, most of the other games are between 40 and 100mb's..)

Doesn't leave too much room for much else... (since ONE game can potentially use up half the available memory on the current pre's..)

-mark
    Quote Originally Posted by Pigs View Post
    Have you not seen the video CES presentation by Palm? It's on youtube. During the announcement of the Pre Plus Jon Rubenstein clearly says it contains double the internal memory allowing increased performance and more complicated tasks. I have no clue how people turned the fact it has 512MB RAM into a rumor. Palm announced it why are you second guessing them?

The video is on youtube (I guess I can't post links for some stupid reason) skip to 40:30 to see where he says that it has 2x the memory of the Pre.
    I think it's because many people continually confuse memory with storage, so they just assumed he was talking about doubling the 8gig to 16gig.
    Well are we gonna be able to store apps on the internal memory, like some other phones? Like having NFS on internal memory.
  7. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Does anyone know the theoretical upper limit of RAM the Cortex A8 supports? I'm also curious as to what the practical upper limit of RAM in an ARM based smartphone is...
    i am hoping that the Pre2 has 1GB of RAM and a tegra 2 chipset. It would make things very interesting.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Quote Originally Posted by diomark View Post
    true, there's optimization that has to happen.

But also realize that the new games such as sims3 require as much as 100mb of memory. (check the appinfo file on the games. Sims is set to 100mb's, most of the other games are between 40 and 100mb's..)

Doesn't leave too much room for much else... (since ONE game can potentially use up half the available memory on the current pre's..)

-mark
    That number is the amount of memory being stored in the HARD DRIVE. There shouldn't be more than that being used in the RAM. Depending on what you're doing in Sims 3, I think the average ram being used shouldn't be more than half of what's stored in the hard drive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    Does anyone know the theoretical upper limit of RAM the Cortex A8 supports? I'm also curious as to what the practical upper limit of RAM in an ARM based smartphone is...
    I can only imagine that it's at least a 32 bit processor, which would give it a ceiling of 4GB.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    i am hoping that the Pre2 has 1GB of RAM and a tegra 2 chipset. It would make things very interesting.
    Agreed. Take the same form factor as the Pre Plus, upgrade it like this, and we'd all likely be even happier campers.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    I'd rather OMAP4, personally.

The Tegra 2 chipset has a great GPU, sure. And they're finally starting to catch up to the current model CPU by putting a Cortex A8 in there. But by the time Tegra 2 is in production (which I assume will be the end of the year), the multi-core Cortex A9 should be moving into production as well.

As neat as this 3d gaming that we're getting is, I'd much rather have a multicore CPU for the stuff I need my device for every day.
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    I am assuming that the new Pre Plus will not have the var partition on it.

Is it possible for Palm to use the old var partition ( area where the apps used to be stored) and use it as virtual memory? So when the Pre uses all the RAM, it can just tap into the virtual memory from the var partition and not miss much of a beat?

link to proof of more RAM?
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    link to proof of more RAM?
    A discussion with Palm engineers in the #webos-internals IRC channel, including the Director of Core OS Software, which corroborates what the Palm CEO clearly and unambiguously said on stage in front of many people at CES.

What is your motive for continually disputing the facts?

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    im not disputing facts since the only documentation presented so far has been hearsay.
    im not disputing facts since the only documentation presented so far has been hearsay.
    Pardon? You're saying that the CEO of the company clearly stating it in a public keynote address is hearsay? Have you not viewed the video for yourself?

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 01/10/2010 at 07:56 PM.
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by shotyme View Post
    I am assuming that the new Pre Plus will not have the var partition on it.

Is it possible for Palm to use the old var partition ( area where the apps used to be stored) and use it as virtual memory? So when the Pre uses all the RAM, it can just tap into the virtual memory from the var partition and not miss much of a beat?

I doubt that the LVM partitioning on the Pre Plus will be any different to the Pre, with the vfat /media/internal partition having an additional 8GB added to it. They may resize the other partitions a bit since they will have lots of extra space, but I don't see them adding or removing any or changing the function of any.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    lol... You have heard it from multiple sources.. Including my own ears when I was @ CES , but if it's good enough for you... Just wait two weeks when it's out on Verizon...

Lets put a rest to this thread...
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Memory refers to the storage on the pre just take a close look at the spec sheet for the pre plus. memory=16gb. so the comment double the internal memory is not a reason to think it comes with 512mb.
    the guys at pdadb have it listed with 256mb

But all the freezing up on these apps has to do with the os not clearing the ram. so it doesn't matter how much ram you have it will eventually have the errors.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast