Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    You would think they tested the hell out of these games before releasing it to the market. As much as I like what I'm seeing out there, 3D games. I'm not purchasing anything until they clear up these issues. It's not the $. It would drive me nuts with crashes/errors when others are enjoying their games. Come on Palm..

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMcG View Post
    So far, NFS hasn't crashed on me yet, but Asphalt crashed all the time. I tried restarting phone, uninstalling, redownloading and restarting, nothing worked. I just deleted it and counted it as a 7 dollar donation to help keep Palm afloat
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    I just talked to level 2 tech and am on level 3 now.

He just told me it's a high priority case and I asked him how so.
    "you have an important case.. we are tracking others like it already"

He had me explain the problem and then create a log (##5647# in phone app)

I wonder if it is an issue with older production builds ([url]
    877 426 3777

Hopefully not or that could suck for palm.
    Ok, so I just called Palm and it took about 7 minutes for this person in Asia (who can't understand English all too well or speak it for that matter) to get my data and another 4 minutes for me to spell out Need For Speed Underground for her to understand. (several times she thought I said/spelled out something else like MAD FOR SPEED, whatever that is!!)

I asked for a Level 2 Tech Support and her response was "Yes, I am tech support."

I then ask if she is a Level 2 Tech and she says "No, I am Level 1. Did the person you first talked to tell you to ask for Level 2?"

Now I am on hold for 2 more minutes so she can verify that Need for Speed Underground is a game on WebOS and that I have purchased it!!!

Will update with more details shortly...

ALL I want from them is to get it logged that there is a hardware defect in my device so I can go to Best Buy and get them to hand over a replacement to me for the verified/validated defect. I can already see the call lasting over an hour!

Update 1:
    Apparently, because I played the game once for 3 minutes without it crashing but since it crashes every time after just 30 seconds, it is an issue with NFSU, not a hardware issue! Oh, and apparently, I can't talk to Level 2 Tech Support, only she can verify the issue with them and consult with them. WHAT TYPE OF SYSTEM DOES PALM HAVE GOING?

Update 2:
    Now, according to this level 1 tech support, a level 2 tech support thinks I am using a trial version of NFSU, which is non-existent. I finally am being allowed to get transferred to level 2, but only after asking this incompetent ***** for a transfer for 2 minutes. TWENTY SEVEN minutes on the line, on hold four times.

UPDATE 3:
    Was on the phone for 30 minutes total and the incompetent person said that level 2 tech said the issue was with the app, even after I said the issue was well documented, even from within Palm. I proceeded to tell her that even Palm techs have acknowledged it (referencing this forum), and she said it was a developer issue. I asked to be transferred to a level 2 tech support employee and she said there were none available. I hung up on her while she was repeating it was a developer issue and to call the developers.

Did anyone who bought their Pre through Best Buy (and bought their insurance) return theirs through Sprint, and if so, is Best Buy okay with that (insurance wise)?
    Last edited by Arthur Thornton; 01/11/2010 at 09:50 PM.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    I just called Palm tier 2 tech support and they pawned me off on EA. "This is a 3rd party application and we don't offer support or patches for 3rd party games."

They did offer to take part in a conference call between myself, Palm Support and EA Support....

Now, to find an EA support number....
    on live chat with palm now, they are going to have an engineer call me about thew issue
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Can you all update us on what happened with the call?

Apparently, because I played the game once for 3 minutes without it crashing but since it crashes every time after just 30 seconds, it is an issue with NFSU, not a hardware issue!
    This seems a little odd. It's as if they totally dismiss the issue as their own. I assure you if it's not a hardware related issue, it's related to webOS.

All these 3D games that are crashing are being ported over from the iPhone so they should be relatively free of bugs, at least bugs that cause complete crashing of the application. Something like that probably would not have made it passed Apple's review of the App.

I know it's now running on different hardware but the fact that webOS still has a terrible memory leak issue tells me the issue is there and not with the game itself.

Some examples of these memory leak issues; I played NFSU and quit when I was done playing (showing it off to my iPhone yielding brother). After that I attempted to open a browser window and got hit with a "Too many cards open" message. I had NOTHING open. Another occurrence is when I played Asphalt5. Again, when I done playing I quit in a normal fashion. After the card was tossed, the phone was insanely laggy. As in, "I just opened 23 cards just to see what would happen" laggy. A Luna Restart was necessary to get things moving again.

This may not be so apparent on the Pre Plus thanks to it's increase in memory. Though, increasing the amount of memory in your device is absolutely no way to resolve a memory leak issue. I'm hoping Palm addresses this in 1.4 next month or EXTREMELY soon after.
    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  6.    #26  
    Sorry to hear the troubles... Sprint just gave me a new phone today so I will see if it works then maybe call palm again if not.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    My Oregon Trail even crashes sometimes, I've played it three times for about 15 minutes each, and it's crashed twice. It just drops the card and pops up with a "This Application has unexpectedly quit."
    Personally, I'm ok with it crashing right now. These games weren't tested and made to be on 1.3.2. If it does crash after 1.4.... then I will admit Palm has A PROBLEM...
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    I'm not trying to compare Apples to Palms but when I had my iPhone 3G, when iPhone OS 2.0 was first released with the phone (I got it on release date) there was an issue with apps quitting unexpectedly. This was later address and fixed by Apple later on.

I think people should definitely NOT be blaming the developers for this! It's definitely a hole in webOS and it will be patched up soon!
    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeMcG View Post
    So far, NFS hasn't crashed on me yet, but Asphalt crashed all the time. I tried restarting phone, uninstalling, redownloading and restarting, nothing worked. I just deleted it and counted it as a 7 dollar donation to help keep Palm afloat
    I like your spirit.

For Asphalt worked pretty good until level 13 cars. Motorcycle and Mustang both instance crashes the game. I think it is a software resource issue. They probably did not test it all the way through all levels. But I expect they should at least have a cheat code to try each care once.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
    Quote Originally Posted by Tcub View Post
    Can you all update us on what happened with the call?

This seems a little odd. It's as if they totally dismiss the issue as their own. I assure you if it's not a hardware related issue, it's related to webOS.
    I updated my post accordingly.

Palm seems to have tech support personnel that do not understand anything WebOS related. Either that, or Palm just told them all to act stupid regarding this issue.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    I updated my post accordingly.

Palm seems to have tech support personnel that do not understand anything WebOS related. Either that, or Palm just told them all to act stupid regarding this issue.
    Well since Palm wouldn't acknowledge the problem, I just took it to Best Buy (bought it there and got their Geek Squad Black Tie Protection Program) and they gave me an HTC Snap loaner phone (unfortunately). They estimate 12 days until it is fixed, so I will hopefully have it by next month, but with the horror stories surrounding the BB Protection Plan, I don't expect to see it for 30 days or more (which is really a shame considering it is an amazing phone). Worst part, I will still be paying them the insurance cost even when I don't have it.
    Arthur Thornton

Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    I was about to call up palm, but last night, gameloft pushed an update for asphalt 5, and as far as I can tell, the crashing issues are gone.

this leads me to believe that it is indeed a software issue, and the developers are at fault... not palm. now, the 'too many cards' issue still happens way too often, and that is a palm issue, but at least I can play the game without fear of it constantly crashing on me.
    I have NFSU and I can't even get 30 seconds out of it before it crashes. This happens each and every time I open it and has been happening since I purchased it, as in it has NEVER worked.
    "403 Forbidden: The server understood the request, but is refusing to fulfill it." ~Google
    Have you done any updates that may be available for the game? We have not heard any cases of the 3d games crashing since the updates have been pushed out.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    My NFSU is v20.0.28, is that the newest version available?
    "403 Forbidden: The server understood the request, but is refusing to fulfill it." ~Google
    LOL you were told it was a developer issue and I was told by EA it is a Palm issue. ( via email )
    You are on the latest version so that shouldn't be an issue.

Have you tried removing the application and redownloading it?
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

Quote Originally Posted by Boggs3010 View Post
    LOL you were told it was a developer issue and I was told by EA it is a Palm issue. ( via email )
    Palm supports
    1. Finding applications
    2. Installing applications
    3. Purchasing applications
    4. Deleting applications.

When it actually comes to application usage it is through the developer. It would be impossible for us to support usage for all applications in the app catalog for every developer.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    You are on the latest version so that shouldn't be an issue.

Have you tried removing the application and redownloading it?
    I have not tried that yet, but I will right now.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast