Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Anyone else ticked off that Palm 1) Has decided to go with Verizon and 2) Has this new phone that won't be available to any of us Sprint users until the contract is up? I feel like a guinea pig and Palm is the money maker in all of this. And to date, I still cannot get MY TETHER to work on my phone with my laptop.
    UGH!
    It is the nature of technology. It progresses. Only makes sense that Palm will do a hardware refresh. There should be something for Sprint at some point, and if lucky it will be in the form of a newer model, not just an incremental update.

Think of it this way, if you already have a Pre on Sprint and they came out with the plus, it is not like they are going to just swap out the phone for you.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by karjemur View Post
    Anyone else ticked off that Palm 1) Has decided to go with Verizon and 2) Has this new phone that won't be available to any of us Sprint users until the contract is up? I feel like a guinea pig and Palm is the money maker in all of this. And to date, I still cannot get MY TETHER to work on my phone with my laptop.
    UGH!
    If you can't deal with something better coming along after you purchase some form of electronics, don't purchase electronics.
    I don't mind. We've enjoyed our our Pres for 8 months... They haven't. Plus Verizon has a 3 year contract now I think making it harder for their customers getting the next webos phone thhat us sprint customers will probably have access to.
    man people complain about the dumbest stuff. I could understand complaining about the bugs with webos or hardware problems but complaining about this is just pure ignorance. Im happy for verizon customers let them have the better pre for now why. Cause i want to see palm SUCCEED and with the current pre that would not be possible. Let them get the 1.5 so that sprint can get the 2.0.
    Sprint got two exclusive phones, for six months. I'm sure the Verizon people weren't happy that they had no Pres or Heroes. And now they will, the Droid Eris and Pre Plus. I think it's hilarious how worked up some people are getting. It was fine when Palm gave you the special snowflake phone, but as soon as someone else gets it, it's a bad deal.

AT&T is STILL the only people with an Iphone.

Sprint, if they get the Pre Plus, will not have it for at least six months, if ever. That doesn't mean they won't get a new WebOS phone soon. Just not the Pre Plus.

As for tethering, try the developer's forum.
    I'm actually really jazzed about it. The Pre Plus isn't that much better and I don't feel bad at all. I think the Pre was a great 1st gen phone and the 2nd gen (plus) is just a small evolution. That has you, me and the rest of us in line for the real next generation of Palm phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by thatwilsonguy View Post
    I'm actually really jazzed about it. The Pre Plus isn't that much better and I don't feel bad at all. I think the Pre was a great 1st gen phone and the 2nd gen (plus) is just a small evolution. That has you, me and the rest of us in line for the real next generation of Palm phones.
    I for one, agree. I would miss the little lightbulb, so much. I actually use it. It makes a Pre, a Pre.
  9.    #9  
    thanks to those who posted positive feedback, since I don't post here often
    Quote Originally Posted by karjemur View Post
    UGH!
    Yes, I absolutely hate it that Palm will now be carried on the nation's largest network, thus opening up a market of millions upon millions of potential new users. I hate it that now developers have a very good reason to write more and better apps for WebOS. I'd much rather Palm stay on Sprint and limit their market, or at least do nothing to make the Verizon relationship a successful one. I mean, I don't want Verizon PROMOTING a device that I can't buy!

Who does Palm think they are, anyways?!?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    When you buy a phone, you're not getting a guarantee of free upgrades during the term of the contract...you are purchasing a specific device, whose specs don't worsen because something newer comes along.

I'm excited, actually. Having the Pre / Pixi on the larger networks means a larger customer base, and will motivate developers to create more apps. It only bodes well for the future of WebOS, and for future versions of the Pre, which we Sprint folks will be eligible for.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    I think it's great, actually. Verizon will probably sell more of these because they're "exclusive", which will help Palm and the webOS community. Even the earliest Pre buyers wouldn't be able to upgrade for cheap now anyway. I'm sure the new versions will come to Sprint in a little while -- or better yet, true second-gen products that are far superior.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Yes, I absolutely hate it that Palm will now be carried on the nation's largest network, thus opening up a market of millions upon millions of potential new users. I hate it that now developers have a very good reason to write more and better apps for WebOS. I'd much rather Palm stay on Sprint and limit their market, or at least do nothing to make the Verizon relationship a successful one. I mean, I don't want Verizon PROMOTING a device that I can't buy!

Who does Palm think they are, anyways?!?
    gotta agree with this sarcasm.... hahaha

Now we got a chance to get the Pre and WebOS to Droid status since it has the best mobile OS available today minus the hardware issues (i hope) = pure awesomeness
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    ('')_('') signature to help him gain world domination
    The Pre Plus isn't the result of the progress of technology, it's the result of the mistakes Palm made in the initial design. Cheap slider, low memory, and barely adequate keyboard.

That said, it's just a shame users get to see what the Pre should've been on another carrier. Hopefully sales go well and there's enough money to make an even better successor on Sprint in the next four to five months.

I'd entertain revisiting webOS when that happens, though we're getting entrenched in Android company wise, but there's always an old phone to sell to offset the cost of something new. And thankfully we're only stuck with phones for 1yr.

Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    It is the nature of technology. It progresses. Only makes sense that Palm will do a hardware refresh. There should be something for Sprint at some point, and if lucky it will be in the form of a newer model, not just an incremental update.

Think of it this way, if you already have a Pre on Sprint and they came out with the plus, it is not like they are going to just swap out the phone for you.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  15. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    I don't know about you, OP, but I'd rather that Palm stayed in business.
    Personally I would have been upset if Palm hadn't put out some kind of hardware revision after nearly a year.

I think that Palm has done extremely right by the original Pre buyers. Yes, new customers get the enhanced hardware, but that would be true even if it was offered on Sprint. What Palm has done, is make the new functionality of the new phone available to the people who already have the old one.

Did iPhone 3G users get a free - from Apple - OTA update to give them video? No they were forced to buy a 3GS or jailbreak their phone to get it. Are Pre users, who have had their phone for nearly a year going to get a free - from Palm - OTA update to give us video? You're damn right we are.

Now, am I a little jealous of the new hardware? Hell yeah! But I was a little jealous when the Droid came out, and I'm a little jealous of the Nexus One... I'm fully sure that before I'm eligible for an upgrade there will be several new phones, on various carriers, that I will be a little jealous of.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    The Pre Plus isn't the result of the progress of technology, it's the result of the mistakes Palm made in the initial design. Cheap slider, low memory, and barely adequate keyboard.

That said, it's just a shame users get to see what the Pre should've been on another carrier. Hopefully sales go well and there's enough money to make an even better successor on Sprint in the next four to five months.

I'd entertain revisiting webOS when that happens, though we're getting entrenched in Android company wise, but there's always an old phone to sell to offset the cost of something new. And thankfully we're only stuck with phones for 1yr.
    sure you could say it that way, if it's simply fixing mistakes then at least it shows they realize them. But the point remains that regardless, anyone who has a pre currently on Sprint is not going to get the option to just be given one as a replacement if Sprint were to start carrying it. So to be upsrt at the fact Vz is getting it doesn't make alot of sense.
    its really not o serious that they get palm devices.. im just glad sprint got their exclusivity, they've made their money, now its verizons turn. the only problem that i see is worth complaining about is the wifi thing, and even that isnt much of a huge deal(big enough of a deal to make me skip sprints pixi for verizons)
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Schwaggitude
    Really good site, Pm me for details
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    It'll be a tough battle for Pre Plus tho. A lot of Verizon customers just recently got the Droid and Nexus One (possibly updated version) will be released in the spring.
    Interesting months ahead.

If all rumors are true, by summer Verizon will be king as inside word is Apple will release their new iPhone on both AT&T and Verizon. First carrier to have all best smartphones, talk about options
    Gee i think it was some master plan. Remember Verizon throwing water on sprints announcement of the Pre and its exclusivity agreement? "We will have a Pre like device in 6 months", was that the phrase big red used? June 6 2009 Pre released. January 7 2010 Pre Plus announced. Almost made it.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast