Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I accidentally deleted the PDF Viewer. I tried a partial erase... 2x with palm and it did not work. I tried the app "extract PDF viewer and it did not work. They want me to visit the Doctor and I dont want to. Is there an easy way to get it back?
    If you download the sprint doctor (the .jar file, not the .jnlp file), you can use an archive manager like 7-zip to extract the necessary files for the .pdf viewer and copy them to your pre.

The files are at: resources\webOS.tar\.\nova-cust-image-castle.rootfs.tar.gz\nova-cust-image-castle.rootfs.tar\.\usr\palm\applications\com.palm.app.pdfviewer

If you extract that folder and put it on your pre's usb drive, then you could run the command:
    Code:
    cp -a /media/internal/com.palm.app.pdfviewer/* /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.pdfviewer
    and after that, a luna restart should make the icon show up in your launcher.

edit: here is the link to the .jar file if you don't already have it http://palm.cdnetworks.net/rom/pre/p...0ewwsprint.jar
    Last edited by tarirene; 01/12/2010 at 03:25 PM. Reason: edit1: made it clearer what to type in the command line prompt; edit2: fixed command
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who made the mistake of messing up my PDF viewer and I successfully found and copied the file from the sprint doctor but was curious how I enter the command to put it back on my Pre...do I use an app or a patch to run that?
    Last edited by toys4life; 01/10/2010 at 08:40 PM.
    Try downloading the terminal app from preware.
    I believe when i've lost the PDF Viewer I just downloaded the 'Extract PDF Viewer Application' and it downloaded the PDF Viewer again. I believe that is how I got mine back. It's been a while since I did it.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't read the part where you already tried it.
    Extract pdf viewer is not compatible with 1.3.5. It's one of those patches that was necessary on 1.3.1 but then palm fixed themselves with the update.
  7.    #7  
    I wish they would update that patch!
    Extract pdf viewer? But that would be totally pointless, like I just explained, palm themselves fixed the reason it had been necessary. It wasn't a patch to magically get the pdf viewer back if the files had been deleted. It's just that the pdf viewer in 1.3.1 was archived in a .tar file for some reason. 1.3.5 doesn't include that .tar file, so a command to untar it wouldn't be able to do anything at all.
  9.    #9  
    I tried to follow your instructions to get the pdf back but i cant open the .tar file. As you can tell i am not too great w/ computers.
    Umm... it's in the app catalog!
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    WE have helped lots of people with this issue since our App requires the PDF viewer to work.

Try this:

The steps below will help you restore your PDF View App by using the "Partial Erase" function.

IMPORTANT: You will need to know all your Palm Profile password and synergy/sync usernames and passwords to complete this process. (In other words, if you sync to Google, Facebook, Yahoo! or another service, you will need to know and enter these usernames and passwords.)

Step 1: Take backup of your data.

Tap the "Back Up" App from your launcher.

Tap the "Backup Now" button at the bottom to make sure you get a fresh backup on the server.

Look for a message near the top that says "Last backup" (today's date & time).

Make sure the switch at the top is set to "On"

Exit out of the Backup app.

Step 2: Perform a Partial Erase.

Partial Erase deletes personal information (contacts, tasks, calendar, memos), applications, and the Palm profile. But core applications (like the PDF View app) data and applications downloaded from the App Catalog are restored after you sign in to the Palm profile again.

Open the "Device Info" App

Tap Reset Options, and then tap Partial Erase twice. The phone may take a few minutes to reset.

STEP 3: Restore Your Data from Your Profile and Sync Accounts

Once the reset is complete, follow the onscreen prompts to enter the Palm profile email address and password. This restores all data that was backed up to the Palm profile, including contacts, calendar events, and tasks, as well as apps downloaded from the App Catalog.

Then, you'll need to enter all usernames and passwords for your synergy/sync accounts to get those up and running again.
  12.    #12  
    Thanks but I did that 2X with Palm on the phone. That does not work anymore. They said I need to visit the Doctor. I am going to wait for The Webos repair utility patch when its ready.
    Quote Originally Posted by stu5797 View Post
    I tried to follow your instructions to get the pdf back but i cant open the .tar file. As you can tell i am not too great w/ computers.
    You're using 7-zip to view the archive right? Just double-click on it.
    Here is the PDF Viewer folder (see attachment). Save's people time of going through 10 screens/archives to get to it.

This is how I did it (with Tarirene's kind help).

1) Put the folder attached below on your Pre (connect to computer and select USB drive)
    2) Open WebOS Quick Installer 2.96 (upgrade if you are running an older version)
    3) Go to Tools > Linux Commandline
    4) Paste the following:

Code:
    cp -a /media/internal/com.palm.app.pdfviewer/* /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.pdfviewer
    5) Either restart Luna (via Luna Manager - found in Preware/WebOS QI) or reboot your phone.

You should now have the app.

*** NOTE: WebOS/Linux Commandline will say "ommitting folders" or something along those lines. Ignore that, reboot your phone, and you should be good. ***
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by IlyaK; 01/12/2010 at 03:37 PM.
    Palm Pre | WebOS 1.4.1.1 | Sprint
    My CarDomain - 5/30/09
  15.    #15  
    Wow! Great job! How do I get this on my pre???
    Thanks so much if you could please help!
    Get what? PDF View? I just told you, and so did Taririne with his post above.
    My CarDomain - 5/30/09
    Wow! Great job! How do I get this on my pre???
    Step number 1 is plug your pre into your computer, select USB drive from the menu that pops up, and then put the files in the folder that pops up. You've transferred files from the computer to the pre before right? This is the same deal.

IlyaK: I wasn't posting the folder because those are copyrighted by palm and I think technically the forum discourages people from distributing copyrighted source files. I could be wrong about that though... and certainly it is easier for people to download from your post than go hunting through the doctor.

Also... you mean "her" post. :-)
  18.    #18  
    How do you put the attachement on your pre using the usb? I really appreciate your help!
    Quote Originally Posted by tarirene View Post
    Step number 1 is plug your pre into your computer, select USB drive from the menu that pops up, and then put the files in the folder that pops up. You've transferred files from the computer to the pre before right? This is the same deal.

IlyaK: I wasn't posting the folder because those are copyrighted by palm and I think technically the forum discourages people from distributing copyrighted source files. I could be wrong about that though... and certainly it is easier for people to download from your post than go hunting through the doctor.

Also... you mean "her" post. :-)
    Oh I didn't know that.

I don't see the big deal. Palm should fix the issue with their stuff being able to be deleted and easily replaced, then we wouldn't have to 'share and distribute copy righted files'.

And I apologize .
    My CarDomain - 5/30/09
    Quote Originally Posted by stu5797 View Post
    How do you put the attachement on your pre using the usb? I really appreciate your help!
    She just told you the post above yours.

Plug your phone into your computer via the supplied USB cable and select "USB Drive".
    My CarDomain - 5/30/09
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast