webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre and Pre Plus > Anyone know an easy way to get the PDF Viewer back?
Anyone know an easy way to get the PDF Viewer back?

Old 02/02/2010, 02:04 PM   #41 (permalink)

I can tell you what I did. I am running Windows 7, I copied the same file out of the web doctor and placed it on my desktop in a folder called PDF Viewer (which I had created before hand). I then opened a cmd prompt and navigated to the folder containing the copied files.

I typed this in cmd prompt - cd /users/arkieboy/desktop/pdfviewer to navigate to the working folder in the cmd prompt (otherwise the cmd prompt will only look the folder that is open when you first open the cmd prompt c:/users/arkieboy)

I then typed the command to create an ipk of the pdfviewer files:
palm-package pdfviewer

Lastly, I used Web Quick Install to install the ipk onto my Pre. (drop and drag then install or navigate to the ipk and select it.

I have rebooted several times since I have installed it, and it is still there. I also have no issues with opening any PDF files.
arkieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/02/2010, 02:53 PM   #42 (permalink)

I was not being mean! I want to help you get it back! I just am trying to figure out what step you missed.
stu5797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/02/2010, 02:54 PM   #43 (permalink)

Arkieboy: If you can send me the ipk, that would make my life a lot easier please?
ok, if you don't want to let me be lazy by just having your ipk, then I need to know how to get past the palm-package pdfviewer step b/c it says " 'palm-package' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program, or batch file." when I followed the directions you provided. It seems like making an ipk is the logical thing to do and I am very interested in doing it this way.

Last edited by drinkwd40; 02/02/2010 at 03:19 PM.
drinkwd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/02/2010, 03:10 PM   #44 (permalink)

I've had this problem too where i deleted my pdf viewer, So I went into Preware and downloaded the extract PDF viewer which people said wouldnt work because its outdated, however it worked for me sort of.

Sometimes the pdf Icon will disappear and come back other times I'll have to just redownload it from Preware again, either way it works anytime I need to view a pdf
kuruptlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/02/2010, 06:27 PM   #45 (permalink)

I'm trying to upload it, I do not think I have enough posts.
Old 02/02/2010, 06:33 PM   #46 (permalink)

Ok, give this a try. Extract the .ipk to your desktop, drag the file into WQIS and hit install. I do not think you have to run any patches with this version, but I did notice that I changed the icon on the theme and it changed the icon on the Pre. So I didn't have to use the extract PDF patch.
Attached Files
File Type: zip com.palm.app.pdfviewer_1.0.0_all.zip (108.1 KB, 125 views) Email Attachment
Old 02/03/2010, 11:26 AM   #47 (permalink)

and i was in the middle of figuring out how to make an ipk...glad thats over! i really would like to be of help for people who experience the same problems in the future, but I can't pin down what really made this work. I'm sure the ipk was a huge part of it, but it didn't work at first. I downloaded preware and its package manager service, then pdf viewer showed up. I didnt even run preware, just downloaded it...weird. hopefully its here to stay, otherwise i'll be retracing my steps on this post.
drinkwd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/10/2010, 12:31 PM   #48 (permalink)

Thank you so much, I think its a little bit problematic for people that have never accesed the pre or the Jar File before, I think you are doing a great job helping all the people here.

I really appreciate the help.

If someone still has issues, pm me, I can help on msn step by step.

Best regards.

La gente dice que estoy loco al hacer lo que hago.
Bien, me han dado toda clase de advertencias para salvarme de la ruina.
Cuando digo que me encuentro bien ellos me miran un poco raro.
shoryuken666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/15/2010, 01:51 PM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkieboy View Post
Ok, give this a try. Extract the .ipk to your desktop, drag the file into WQIS and hit install. I do not think you have to run any patches with this version, but I did notice that I changed the icon on the theme and it changed the icon on the Pre. So I didn't have to use the extract PDF patch.
Thank you so much. The linux command wasn't working for me, kept saying such folder doesn't exist. However, the .ipk option did the trick but only temporary. Once I install the pdf reader the program works just fine. But whenever I restart my phone the icon disappears again. Please help.
Ayasinskiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/11/2010, 08:18 PM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayasinskiy View Post
However, the .ipk option did the trick but only temporary. Once I install the pdf reader the program works just fine. But whenever I restart my phone the icon disappears again. Please help.
It looks like I'm running into the same problem. the PDF Viewer works fine until the phone is restarted. I can open it, view PDFs, move the application around in the app launcher just fine. but once the phone reboots the application icon disappears and I cannot open PDFs, even through the web browser.

Any thoughts on why it disappears? I tried using the PDF redux patch as well but that didn't seem to address any issues.
Shatteredhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/13/2010, 06:49 PM   #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkieboy View Post
This worked like a charm. Thanks!
Jihoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/15/2010, 08:35 PM   #52 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlyaK View Post
Here is the PDF Viewer folder (see attachment). Save's people time of going through 10 screens/archives to get to it.

This is how I did it (with Tarirene's kind help).

1) Put the folder attached below on your Pre (connect to computer and select USB drive)
2) Open WebOS Quick Installer 2.96 (upgrade if you are running an older version)
3) Go to Tools > Linux Commandline
4) Paste the following:

Code:
cp -a /media/internal/com.palm.app.pdfviewer/* /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.pdfviewer
5) Either restart Luna (via Luna Manager - found in Preware/WebOS QI) or reboot your phone.

You should now have the app.

*** NOTE: WebOS/Linux Commandline will say "ommitting folders" or something along those lines. Ignore that, reboot your phone, and you should be good. ***
Hi,
Just tried this and got the following...
cp: cannot stat ' /media/internal/com.palm.app.pdfviewer/*': No such file or directory
neither the source nor target paths exist on my Pre. Do I need to create the folders before executing the command?
Thanks.
tpetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/05/2010, 12:06 AM   #53 (permalink)

I found this solution that worked for me. Apologies for the lack of accreditation, I didn't save the URL.
==========================================
*posted from another thread - dunno if you still need the info but i figured it might help someone*

had this problem awhile back - from what i understand, the pdf viewer isn't deleted when you delete the icon, it just now becomes hidden. what i did was hook up my pre (in developer mode) via usb to my pc and use webosquickinstall to send this file by clicking on the menubar, then tools, then receive file:

/var/luna/data/.hidden-apps.json

to my pc desktop, then edit it with notepad/ wordpad by deleting the only item that was listed:

[ com.palm.app.pdfviewer ]

then send the edited file on the pc desktop back onto the pre via webosquickinstall by going to menu, tools, send file:

/var/luna/data

then reboot your pre. the pdf viewer should now be back permanently - well assuming you install the do not remove pdf viewer patch in preware asap, lol. dunno why palm allows the option for the pdf viewer to be hidden/ "deleted" in the first place - seems a bit silly.

this is how i remember fixing it if i recall correctly. let me know if this works for you as well.
Michael Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by Mr.Black, provigo
Old 03/16/2012, 09:17 AM   #54 (permalink)

My pdf reader is have a broblem. please help!

I need the pdf reader ipk file to reinstall.

thank all!
truongtuananhhau1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/17/2012, 12:29 PM   #55 (permalink)

<threads merged>

@truong follow the instructions on Page 1

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0