Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    I'm considering using PreWare. Do I have to install it after any future updates from Palm?
    Not Preware itself but for now you have to take off any patches or themese that you might use before any updates...but I know the developers are working on a way that we wont even have to do that anymore. Use it, trust me.
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokerzwyld77 View Post
    Not Preware itself but for now you have to take off any patches or themese that you might use before any updates...but I know the developers are working on a way that we wont even have to do that anymore. Use it, trust me.
    What happens if the patches are not un-installed before WebOS update 1.4 in the future?
    Not really sure..it depends on what they update and what patches you have. After some updates, people have had no issue, but then some people have issues and have to use the WebOS doctor to fix it. The good thing is that if you come to this site often, you ususally know when the update is here and you can just run a "patch" in Preware called Emergency Patch Repair (or Recovery, I forget) and it will take all the patches off for you....then you can update.
    If you don't remove the patches & themes, you have pretty much killed all the patches. They will cease to function after the updates and you will be unable to remove them or update them. I had to erase my phone and start all over again after installing an update without removing my patches. Very frustrating experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwackerfuss View Post
    If you don't remove the patches & themes, you have pretty much killed all the patches. They will cease to function after the updates and you will be unable to remove them or update them. I had to erase my phone and start all over again after installing an update without removing my patches. Very frustrating experience.
    Not true and inflamatory!

First if you forget to remove patches before the OTA go to WOSQI or PreWare and run EPR!

Also The Webos-internals team is about to announce AUPT, a service that allows you to not worry about removal before an OTA.

for those of you that dont really understand how a patch works, the patch changes a few lines of code and stores a backup of the original. Now when an OTA comes along and alters the original code then the patch will no longer work as each patch is written to modify exact lines of code.
    AUPT will allow patches to remain if the OTA didnt modify the code, Now if it does then AUPT will just not install that particular patch untill the original dev repairs the patch to work w/ the updated software version.

Hope this clears up some of the confusion!

This is why some people get scared away from using these great tool we have been blessed with.
    People come in here and spout off bad info because they did something they shouldnt have and blame the dev for not knowing ahead of time you were going to be stupid and not inform yourself before hacking around in a 500.00 device.

Do yourself a favor and read the entire preware thread before you cost yourself 4 or 5 hrs and a big headache.
    Get familiar with PreWare before you do this and then enjoy your phone!
    Last edited by 2sslow; 01/10/2010 at 03:00 PM.
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

Can anyone tell me what happened to EPR? I can't find it anywhere anymore.

Thanks