Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35
  1.    #1  
    Hi, has anyone figured out how to make the pre work faster? Great phone, but takes forever for appps to come up...
  2. #2  
    I know it's hard, but it's only a month away, and in the life of your phone, what's a month.

    1.4 will bring a more responsive phone, and video recording and a few other things I bet, so be patient. It's coming.
  3. #3  
    There are some patches to increase your CPU from 500mhz to its design spec of 600mhz. Google and ye shall find!
  4. Kedar's Avatar
    Posts
    994 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by deparson View Post
    There are some patches to increase your CPU from 500mhz to its design spec of 600mhz. Google and ye shall find!
    Umm this patch doesn't work with the latest update, right?
  5. #5  
    Gideon,

    You will have to wait for 1.4 release in Feb for the next cycle of speed improvments. Hopefully they will have the GPU doing transitions etc to make it move faster.
  6. #6  
    I'm really hoping they will start using gpu in the next update. In regards to those patches running phone cpu at 600 it will either brick ur pre or make it unstable and crash alot. Not recommended.
  7. #7  
    Mines pretty fast, less than a second to load the phone app, most other apps are 2 seconds or less.
  8. #8  
    clear your call log from phone app and delete old messages in the messaging app.
  9. #9  
    I felt if anything that the 1.3.5 patch really improved my phone. Battery is still lacking, but has improved, I remember on day that my batt was at 83% by 5 in the afternoon. I thought something got messed up.

    As for speed, I feel like the menus and such have a more consistant speed to it now, with apps taking like 2 seconds to open, and im referring to Need for Speed, Doom, and Quake. And thats with other cards open.

    Im sure as hell looking foward to 1.4
  10. #10  
    Yes the GPU is activated in 1.4

    And battery life will get better too.

    Jon Rubenstein has been here before at Apple. It took a full year before the iPhone had an sdk. It took Palm what 7 months?

    It took a while for the iPhone to optimize it's software for the hardware. It will take Palm time too, but it's coming and as of Feb 2010, it will be here.

    Jon's a smart guy. It will all come together.
  11. #11  
    I've never really owned any true smart phones before the pre and I haven't ever played with the iphone either, but I'm pretty satisfied with the speed of the pre. For anyone that has owned or used an iphone is there really that noticable a difference in the speed for opening up apps?

    I don't want to limit it, but it still has to be remembered this is a phone. Just 10 years ago phones still had colorless screens, had no internet connectivity and pretty much did one thing. Make calls. I think it's pretty amazing what all technology they are fitting into a small form factor phone.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vociferous View Post
    Yes the GPU is activated in 1.4
    As much as I'd like to believe this, I've seen nothing that indicates Palm is anywhere close to using the GPU to accelerate the UI. I would love to be pleasantly surprised, however.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  13. #13  
    Would removing (not hide) some of Palm's preinstalled apps help free up the ram, or is that in a different part of the memory?

    For instance, the NFL, Nascar, Amazon, Help, Sprint Portal apps.



    .
    Last edited by opacityzero; 01/12/2010 at 02:45 PM.
  14. Tikerz's Avatar
    Posts
    447 Posts
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    As much as I'd like to believe this, I've seen nothing that indicates Palm is anywhere close to using the GPU to accelerate the UI. I would love to be pleasantly surprised, however.
    If they did do that, I bet battery life would take a tumble.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vociferous View Post
    Yes the GPU is activated in 1.4

    And battery life will get better too.

    Jon Rubenstein has been here before at Apple. It took a full year before the iPhone had an sdk. It took Palm what 7 months?

    It took a while for the iPhone to optimize it's software for the hardware. It will take Palm time too, but it's coming and as of Feb 2010, it will be here.

    Jon's a smart guy. It will all come together.
    Vociferous, you seem so certain about this…if you have inside info then that is good to hear. Just about all the updates have come with the promise with "better performance," and for the most-part this has been true. However, these speed improvements have arrived in small increments. Add them all up however, and you wind up with something noticeable over time. Personally, I’m expecting history to repeat itself for 1.4.

    My pre is fast enough for my purposes, I'm more interested is increased functionality (i.e., built in calendar search).
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikerz View Post
    If they did do that, I bet battery life would take a tumble.
    Actually, that's not true. The GPU would be far more efficient at drawing the UI than the CPU, and of course the CPU would be working much less. The net effect should be much improved battery life.

    I suppose it's possible that this is why Palm is confident saying that 1.4 will improve both performance and battery life. But, battery life could also be saved merely by optimizing WebOS (fewer CPU cycles required to do the same work), and again I've just heard nothing that says Palm is ready to utilize GPU-accelerated CSS transforms and other more exotic technologies at this point.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  17. #17  
    I honestly don't think its possible right now to use the GPU to enhance our UI. I dont think the technology is there yet. I'd love to be wrong because that right now is the only downfall for me with the Pre.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by billybennett View Post
    I honestly don't think its possible right now to use the GPU to enhance our UI. I dont think the technology is there yet. I'd love to be wrong because that right now is the only downfall for me with the Pre.
    In 1.4 they are optimizing both the UI and the OS.

    Yes the technology is there. Yes they've been working on it for a while.

    But you don't have to believe me. Wait for 1.4. It will speak for itself.

    In my opinion, 1.4 is the corner that they need to turn.

    Every smart phone can get laggy, the Droid can, and yes, even the iPhone, it really depends on what you're doing. But Webos will get more responsive.

    And, of course, the Pre Plus will be even more responsive.

    And yes, sometime in the future they will announce a phone with even more memory, a better CPU and it will be even faster. That's just the way the tech cookie crumbles.

    But the Pre will get better, you'll see.
  19.    #19  
    can't wait. Thanks!
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by billybennett View Post
    I honestly don't think its possible right now to use the GPU to enhance our UI. I dont think the technology is there yet. I'd love to be wrong because that right now is the only downfall for me with the Pre.
    The technology is there, just look at how much smoother the GUI is with the latest iPhone. It's just up to Palm to figure out how to implement the functionality of the GPU with WebOS. It should happen sooner or later if their not totally incompetent.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions