Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Dont let Sprint tell you otherwise. They screwed me and made me go through the insurance. I had to pay $100 deductible. This was the last straw for me. I called Sprint to see if they would reimburse me, they said no. So I am jumping ship to the iPhone. It sucks because I really love webOS. I just cant take the chance of being on my fragile Pre for another 2 years if this is how Sprint is going to treat me when it breaks. And, it most likely will break again.

I will miss my Pre a lot but Sprint has forced my hand.

For anyone else, here is the link for the warranty replacement.

Sprint Cracked touchscreen replacement
    Global Posts
    625 Global Posts
    Wait, what?
    Um... Huh? Did you print out their webpage to show them, or pull it up on one of their computers there? All I know is from my exchange experiences, it seems to be up the each individual store/employee to play God and say 'yes' or 'no' to you. Sprint has the worst customer service people I've encountered.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    I found the link after I had already replaced it through Assurion. Which is a whole other headache. They have the worst phones they send out as refurbs. Ive had to send back 2 already. The 3rd one will be my last. Luckily, I am getting a brand new one and I can sell it as brand new.
    Global Posts
    751 Global Posts
    Where was your screen cracked? From reading other posts, it seems that they are covering a crack around the center button under warranty, but not other cracks. I have seen some people say that they have been able to get a warranty replacement for the crack coming from the USB cover, but most of the time they say that is "physical damage" that is not covered under warranty.
    You are unhappy that Sprint made you pay the $100 deductible for the insurance to replace your phone, but you are going to move to a company that offers no insurance on the iPhone, that you have to pay to repair or replace in full yourself? Did I get that right? Because I'm not seeing the logic there.

You said that your screen was cracked, but you didn't say how it came about. Because the Spring page specifically states
    If the screen on your Palm® Pre™ did not crack as a result of abuse
    So if you threw your phone out of a moving vehicle, yea, you have to cough up $100.
    iPhone is no where close to screen replacements in their apple "care" warranty or any other warranty. Neither is lost, stolen, water damage and so on. All apple care does, is extend the 30-day limited warranty to a 3-year limited warranty + phone support.

My co-worker broke his screen, but it actually still works, and no-one will replace it.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kd0axs View Post
    Where was your screen cracked? From reading other posts, it seems that they are covering a crack around the center button under warranty, but not other cracks. I have seen some people say that they have been able to get a warranty replacement for the crack coming from the USB cover, but most of the time they say that is "physical damage" that is not covered under warranty.
    Mine was cracked from the center button, straight up the screen
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedwagon View Post
    You are unhappy that Sprint made you pay the $100 deductible for the insurance to replace your phone, but you are going to move to a company that offers no insurance on the iPhone, that you have to pay to repair or replace in full yourself? Did I get that right? Because I'm not seeing the logic there.

You said that your screen was cracked, but you didn't say how it came about. Because the Spring page specifically states

So if you threw your phone out of a moving vehicle, yea, you have to cough up $100.

I had the phone in my pocket, nothing out of the ordinary. It cracked on its own. I think the iphone is less likely to break
    Quote Originally Posted by piaband View Post
    I had the phone in my pocket, nothing out of the ordinary. It cracked on its own. I think the iphone is less likely to break
    Well, good luck with that thought process! I know at least a dozen iPhone owners that have had cracked screens, all through "normal" usage.
    From my own personal experience, this is pretty much true:
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    All I know is from my exchange experiences, it seems to be up the each individual store/employee to play God and say 'yes' or 'no' to you.
    I spent about an hour haggling with different Sprint reps after my Pre developed a crack in the USB port. Only after transferring me twice did I find a rep willing to send me a refurb without the $100 insurance deductible first. So, it may just be a matter of persistence when it comes to this, as opposed to accepting the first answer you're given.

As far as leaving Sprint and the Pre for an AT&T iPhone.... I have a co-worker who has a cracked iPhone screen due to his son dropping the phone. He can't get a new one from AT&T or Apple without paying full price for it, and the screen replacement is $200, not to mention he has to go phoneless in the 2 weeks or so it takes for Apple to ship it, fix it, and ship it back. The grass may look better on the other side, but trust me, it isn't. Your best bet may to be just to wait until the 25th of this month and go to Verizon, or wait until WebOS hits AT&T later this year.

The Pre is just about as fragile as any other touchscreen based phone, honestly. The difference is that the cost of replacement is lower, due to Sprint and Palm's policies. Weigh your decision out from all sides before making a jump due to anger about your current situation.
    Last edited by The Voice of Reason; 01/10/2010 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Because I haven't pontificated enough already. lol
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Voice of Reason View Post

As far as leaving Sprint and the Pre for an AT&T iPhone.... I have a co-worker who has a cracked iPhone screen due to his son dropping the phone. He can't get a new one from AT&T or Apple without paying full price for it, and the screen replacement is $200, not to mention he has to go phoneless in the 2 weeks or so it takes for Apple to ship it, fix it, and ship it back. The grass may look better on the other side, but trust me, it isn't. Your best bet may to be just to wait until the 25th of this month and go to Verizon, or wait until WebOS hits AT&T later this year.
    No opinion on this thread... I'm a Verizon customer waiting for PRE. But an iPhone digitizer w/glass can be had for $31 from cnn.cn. Maybe that will help your friend.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Yep, it's only under warranty if the origin of the crack appears to be the center button. Mine was replaced but i was told that was the only reason why it was covered.
    Makes no sense to switch to AT&T unless you like getting screwed over with pricing... You're looking at over 100/month at the base rate if memory serves me correctly. My bill was in the 200s as a single line since I had unlimited minutes, data and text.
    Quote Originally Posted by genearch View Post
    No opinion on this thread... I'm a Verizon customer waiting for PRE. But an iPhone digitizer w/glass can be had for $31 from cnn.cn. Maybe that will help your friend.
    yeah that's if you can replace it yourself. Most ppl can't do it or don't want to bother with it because most ppl aren't able to do that sort of repair so it ends up costing a whole lot more than 30 bucks, and if you haven't done one before they are pretty damn tricky bunch of small ribbons you have to be careful of. I've replaced a few and they are a pita
    i1000+ -> i90 -> i530 -> i730 -> i530 -> i730 -> i560 -> i930 -> i215 -> i860 -> i930 -> i860 -> i870 -> i880 -> i870 -> i850 -> i870 -> i830 -> i9 -> Pre
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    This is what I don't get. I work for Sprint and people believe that cracked screen, liquid damaged phone, broken phones by physical damage and it is Sprint's fault. Do you really think that ABUSE is covered?? The last cracked screen I saw from a customer trying to get warranty, it was from the top right side of the phone cracking towards the middle of the screen. There was signs of the phone being dropped to the floor and the customer's answer was "I never dropped the phone". Oh, sure. The phone's screen is made of glass. The only way glass breaks is by force or by bending it. It doesn't break by itself. If it originates from the push button towards the top, then it is under warranty. I have heard it all, and seen it all. We try to give you the best service, but some people think Sprint should pay for their neglect and abuse towards their phone. Really, screaming at me doesn't make me replace your phone, use sincerity and good manners, and depending on the issue, we will help you. Not all issues can be fixed, but we could try to help you the best we can. But wait. This gets interesting. When those angry customers who abuse their phones, scream at me saying "I'm cancelling my contract and go to another carrier". OK, you can do that. If you are under contract, it will cost you $200 ETF and you will pay for the Iphone anther $200 for their phone, pay more for their service, and iT IS NOT COVERED. You Break the Iphone, then what? ARe you gonna threaten AT&T that you will leave if they don't replace the phone? Give me a break. Everything for what? Avoiding $100 to replace your phone? I will pay anytime $100 for a $550.00 phone. Better yet, go to Verizon and do the same to them and if you leave them, then it is a $350 Early Termination Fee. Better service? cheaper service? ha ha. Go figure.
    Last edited by aquipower; 01/10/2010 at 03:08 AM.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Take your broken phone to a better informed repair center. There have been quite a few emails and bulletins concerning the center button screen cracks, and if it meets the criteria it should be a free replacement. Just send the Asurion unit back to them using the return envelope they include along with a letter stating that you refuse to accept the replacement unit, they will be required to refund your $100.
    Store Manager, Authorized Sprint Retailer and Authorized Service Center for Sprint/Nextel devices. Please post inquiries to the "Ask a Sprint rep" sticky on the CDMA North America forum.
    Rocking the Evo Shift 4G till Pre3 lands.
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    Really?...That's all this was?...Another I'm leaving post?...look, I assume your a grownup, so if you really want an iPhone, good luck to you. But truth is you will be paying alot more than $100 to AT&T if you go. Now if you want to stand on the moral/ethical high ground and say it's a matter of principal, that's ok too, but it's expensive position to take and if your intention is to "stick it" to sprint, they don't care. So godspeed on your journey...I'm going to go play NFS now.
    File a complaint if you think you are right.

FCC Consumer Complaints
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aquipower View Post
    Oh, sure. The phone's screen is made of glass. The only way glass breaks is by force or by bending it. It doesn't break by itself.
    The pre's screen is plastic, not glass.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast