Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by horadin View Post
    The pre's screen is plastic, not glass.
    Good catch horadin. And he works for sprint! Figures...
    Global Posts
    751 Global Posts
    I think the other thing people are forgetting here is that Sprint does not provide the warranty, Palm does.

So when you bring your phone to Sprint for a warranty replacement, they give you a new one and they have to send your old one in to Palm. Once Palm looks at the phone, they decide if it's a warranty issue or not. If they decide that it's not a warranty issue, they don't reimburse Sprint for the phone they gave you for free.

If Sprint refuses to replace your phone under warranty, try contacting Palm directly and see what happens.

The only reason Sprint does warranty replacements in the first place is for customer convenience, they don't have to do it at all. For warranty issues, you are really supposed to send your phone into Palm's service center and then they repair or replace your phone and send it back to you.

This is the case with pretty much all electronics. You aren't supposed to take the item back to the store where you bought it, you are supposed to send it in for service. Stores just allow you to bring the item back there for your convenience.
    At the end of December, Sprint refused to replace my phone even though it had a crack from the USB port extending to the screen. The reps said they had never heard of this problem and called it "cosmetic" (at 2 different repair centers). I called Palm and they didn't even question the issue and sent me a replacement phone (which happens to be a refurb.). To activate the new phone, I called Sprint and happened to ask the rep if she had heard of this crack at the USB port and she said "no". Either Sprint reps are in denial or are told not to acknowledge the defect. The fact that Sprint released that warranty update the OP posted, and it is dated December 5, 2009 tells me the Sprint reps are ill-informed of the issues. Stay firm with Sprint, print out the new Sprint policy and stay with this phone...the potential, as we are seeing, is just great.
    For those curious about Palm's customer service, here's what happens if you contact them via telephone. Basically, they give you 3 options:

1.) Send Palm the phone (they might wave the $29.99 fee), Palm will take a look at your phone. If it's determined to be a warranty problem, congrats, you're phone is repaired for free. If not? Prepare to be billed. Oh, and you will be phoneless in the meantime (not sure exactly what the turnaround time is on that)

2.) Palm will send you a replacement Pre to use while your Pre is in for repairs. Same stuff as option one, only that there is a $400 hold placed on your charge card while this is occurring. If your phone's damage is covered under warranty, you'll get back the phone and the $400, unless you try to stiff Palm and keep the replacement Pre.

3.) Suck it up. That's not exactly what they will say, but those are the options.

And as for the Palm support staff on the website, they aren't very much help. Their solution is usually to route you back to the original store you bought the Pre at.
    Quote Originally Posted by lenmac08 View Post
    At the end of December, Sprint refused to replace my phone even though it had a crack from the USB port extending to the screen. The reps said they had never heard of this problem and called it "cosmetic" (at 2 different repair centers). I called Palm and they didn't even question the issue and sent me a replacement phone (which happens to be a refurb.). To activate the new phone, I called Sprint and happened to ask the rep if she had heard of this crack at the USB port and she said "no". Either Sprint reps are in denial or are told not to acknowledge the defect. The fact that Sprint released that warranty update the OP posted, and it is dated December 5, 2009 tells me the Sprint reps are ill-informed of the issues. Stay firm with Sprint, print out the new Sprint policy and stay with this phone...the potential, as we are seeing, is just great.
    I had the same issue, but Sprint replaced my phone with a refurb. It really just depends on who you speak with and if they are willing to bend to your will (which sucks for those who aren't persistent, but like I always say "Results may vary"). And you're right, Sprint usually has the mentality that the crack from the USB port problem is either "physical damage" or "cosmetic". You pretty much have to stress that it makes the phone inoperable.
    Quote Originally Posted by ponyfool View Post
    Well, good luck with that thought process! I know at least a dozen iPhone owners that have had cracked screens, all through "normal" usage.
    After reading your post, it confirmed something I noticed but thought that I was just imagining things.

Of all the iPhones I have seen in the wild, I don't recall EVER seeing one that did NOT have a cracked screen. Seriously! Every time I see someone with an iPhone, it seems they have cracks in their screen.

After reading how Apple doesn't seem to want to replace them, this makes perfect sense and reassures me that people are just drinking the Apple "kool-aid" and really not any better off than another phone.
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    I have seen soooo many cracked iphones on the subway. people still using them cause they cant afford to replace.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12