Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 46
  1.    #1  
    Been suffering battery drain with 1.3.5.1 update. I've noticed much battery improvement when Wifi is Off throughout the day. I only turn it back on at home. It makes sense since wifi radio is constantly looking for a wifi signal. If you're not using it then it should be off. I've tried it with Wifi On constantly and it seems to drain the battery much faster. Hope this helps people with battery issue.
  2. #2  
    Common misperception. You want to minimize use of the 3G radio to conserve battery life, not WiFi. You could leave wifi off and only turn it on if you know a hotspot is available, but the powersavings is likely difficult to perceive.

    Unless you're referring to a bug? My battery drained once or twice although I'm not sure I was using 1.3.5.1 or even if wifi was enabled.
  3. dave75's Avatar
    Posts
    796 Posts
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    #3  
    Wifi was great for me before 1.3.5 but it has been killing my battery after, more than 10% per hour. It was always warm even if it was in my pocket with the screen off. I just doctored my phone and removed all my patches and see if it will behave better.
  4. #4  
    I'm pretty sure that person was just talking about leaving wifi on all the time, even if there is no wifi where you are, which of course you shouldn't. Leaving wifi on all the time will of course drain the battery faster. If you have a wifi hotspot in range, use wifi, since it's better on battery tahn 3G, but you should not leave Wifi on all the time if you don't have a wifi connection.

    Also, I've found that with 1.3.5.1 that when the phone is on standby the wifi stays connected, where before it would disconnect when the screen was off, and connect again when the screen was on.
  5. RafRol's Avatar
    Posts
    544 Posts
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    #5  
    I actually have to say the WiFi is putting a strain on my battery as well after the update, and that's while it's connected to my home network! I turn WiFi off and the battery isn't draining as fast.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
  6. #6  
    I totally agree. I didnt want to believe it, wanting the auto off feature to save wifi battery consumption. But I totally agree, wifi eating my battery alive.
  7. #7  
    i'm also noticing a huge battery drain while the phone is on wifi, connected to my own wifi network. last night, i had my pre on the touchstone but forgot to have the plug it in. just sitting there for a couple of hours doing nothing, the battery drain was close to 10% per hour. there is something going on with wifi and 1.3.5.1
  8. #8  
    +1 was having the same problem. Who's up to make a patch to revert it to the way it used to work? I was getting KILLER battery life with 1.3.5...i'm about to revert back...don't need the EAS fix.
  9.    #9  
    Yes, I was leaving it on all the time. As suggested by previous updates but have found update 1.3.5.1 draining my battery much faster than before.The only place I truely use wifi is at home so it makes perfect sense to turn it off throughout the day. I also noticed that with 1.3.5.1 that EV is off when data is not triggered(email/web browsing) where as before EV was constantly on. It makes me think palm did optimize battery conservation with EV and it does show improvement. My battery last much longer than before. From 9 this morning to 2 pm, my battery went from 100% to 87% with a few calls, web browsing, emails, and txting. I consider that very good..

    Quote Originally Posted by wunderbar View Post
    I'm pretty sure that person was just talking about leaving wifi on all the time, even if there is no wifi where you are, which of course you shouldn't. Leaving wifi on all the time will of course drain the battery faster. If you have a wifi hotspot in range, use wifi, since it's better on battery tahn 3G, but you should not leave Wifi on all the time if you don't have a wifi connection.

    Also, I've found that with 1.3.5.1 that when the phone is on standby the wifi stays connected, where before it would disconnect when the screen was off, and connect again when the screen was on.
  10.    #10  
    I actually went back to 1.3.5 and disabled auto update as well as turning off my
    wifi. Try it and see if it helps or not.

    Quote Originally Posted by guerillatwang View Post
    +1 was having the same problem. Who's up to make a patch to revert it to the way it used to work? I was getting KILLER battery life with 1.3.5...i'm about to revert back...don't need the EAS fix.
  11. #11  
    My battery has been the best it has ever been since 1.3.5.

    I use wifi when available and turn it off when its not. Love how wifi stays on now even when phone goes to sleep. I couldn't be happier with my battery now.
  12. reidme's Avatar
    Posts
    372 Posts
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    #12  
    I like that wifi stays on, but I really only use it at home. Seems like a good opportunity for a location-based app that turns wifi off automatically when you leave home, then back on when you return. But then you'd need to leave GPS on all the time, so it may be a wash.
  13. #13  
    I verified this issue today as well. This morning, my phone drained to below 40% by 11:00 with virtually no use. I disabled wifi, and it drained only 6% over 3 hours this afternoon. The phone was in the house with a wifi network the entire time. Certainly hope that this resolved, as this was not a problem before 1.3.5/1.3.5.1
  14. #14  
    Yep, the new change with 1.3.5 is that wifi stays on even when the screen is off. This not only keeps wifi on but prevents the entire device from going to sleep at all! Obviously, this drains the battery really fast. I'd say this is a bug.

    I noticed the same thing on 1.3.1 but only when the Pre was not enabled on Sprint's data network (i.e., when the phone was deactivated on Sprint because I was using another phone). When the phone was on Sprint's network wifi would turn off when the screen turned off in 1.3.1.
  15. sciteach's Avatar
    Posts
    62 Posts
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    #15  
    Same here...I did a Full Reset and WebOS Doctor last night. Took Pre off the Touchstone this morning and, with GPS & Messaging off, data & Wifi on, I am loosing appx. 19%/hr! I get normal drain with just data.

    Is there any other way to do a COMPLETE reset? After Full Reset/WebOS Doctor I still have an extra card left from Patches.
  16.    #16  
    That's interesting, wifi connection at home shouldn't drain it by 19% on standby. That's excessive.
    Also remember to reset tour network setting and PRL setting. My signal jumped everywhere until I reset my prl.

    Do you mean there's 1 patch left behind from web dr? Try using Quickinstall to remove it. Should be under device management and patch tab. That did it for me.

    Quote Originally Posted by sciteach View Post
    Same here...I did a Full Reset and WebOS Doctor last night. Took Pre off the Touchstone this morning and, with GPS & Messaging off, data & Wifi on, I am loosing appx. 19%/hr! I get normal drain with just data.

    Is there any other way to do a COMPLETE reset? After Full Reset/WebOS Doctor I still have an extra card left from Patches.
    Last edited by kqnjml; 01/10/2010 at 10:22 AM.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    Wifi was great for me before 1.3.5 but it has been killing my battery after, more than 10% per hour. It was always warm even if it was in my pocket with the screen off. I just doctored my phone and removed all my patches and see if it will behave better.
    same here

    wifi used to help me get a lil more battery life...now it drains the full battery in like 3 hours
    @agentmock

    Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
  18. diomark's Avatar
    Posts
    752 Posts
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by kqnjml View Post
    Been suffering battery drain with 1.3.5.1 update. I've noticed much battery improvement when Wifi is Off throughout the day. I only turn it back on at home. It makes sense since wifi radio is constantly looking for a wifi signal. If you're not using it then it should be off. I've tried it with Wifi On constantly and it seems to drain the battery much faster. Hope this helps people with battery issue.

    It's actually wifi w/ encryption. I wrote about this here -

    http://forums.precentral.net/2131674-post80.html

    I tested wpa2 vs. open network. Battery drain was ~10-11%/hour with wpa2, and ~1-3% with open network. (I haven't tried weaker encryptions..)

    -mark
  19. jut
    jut is offline
    jut's Avatar
    Posts
    46 Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by diomark View Post
    It's actually wifi w/ encryption. I wrote about this here -

    http://forums.precentral.net/2131674-post80.html

    I tested wpa2 vs. open network. Battery drain was ~10-11%/hour with wpa2, and ~1-3% with open network. (I haven't tried weaker encryptions..)

    -mark
    Open network still doesn't work for some people. My wifi at work gets me about 1-2% drain (encrypted) but my wifi at home gets me 19-20% drain (encrypted or not)
  20. sciteach's Avatar
    Posts
    62 Posts
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    #20  
    So:
    -I Doctored back to 1.3.1
    -Signed in w/ dummy profile.
    -NO patches, WebOSQI, etc., extra Launcher card gone. (Good thing)
    -Updated to 1.3.5.1
    -Signed in w/original profile.
    -Extra Launcher card came back and have lost 8% with WiFi on again.
    -Updated PRL/Network...tried with data off to no avail.
    -Will redoctor to 1.3.1 and see if WiFi is amiss at that stage to see if the bug error is in my Profile.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions