Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jut View Post
    Open network still doesn't work for some people. My wifi at work gets me about 1-2% drain (encrypted) but my wifi at home gets me 19-20% drain (encrypted or not)
    This MAY have more to do with your cell signal at each place than WIFI?
    I have been getting decent battery life, but starting a day or 2 ago while at home all day, my battery discharged almost completely a few times while it was just sitting on the counter.

This morning I did a test. With no cards open, it drained from 100% to 75% in a little over an hour. Wifi (encrypted) is on.

I will do another test. I will charge it back to 100%, turn Wifi off and leave all cards closed and see what happens.
  3. o14
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    With Wi-fi on at home, where I always have a connection, it drains like mad. I have to turn it off to conserve battery life, after I'm done using it. I made a thread in the Patches forum, requesting an option to have it turn off when the phone sleeps. I don't know if that can be done or not, but hopefully.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Yea man same here I turn off wifi & I get a whole day. With wifi on my battery drains by noon since the update
    My phone will go from 90% to 55% over night (6hrs or so) with just bluetooth turned on. If I leave the WiFi on, it'll go down to around 30%.

Does anyone know if I leave my phone on the touchstone if the alarm will still go off like normal?

At work my phone is almost always on the touchstone.
    Palm Pre | WebOS 1.4.1.1 | Sprint
    My CarDomain - 5/30/09
    Wow I thought something was wrong with my phone... since the update my battery has been draining really fast. I work at home and I leave my wifi on all the time and before the latest update my phone would be well over 50% by the end of the day, but now i'm lucky if it stays over 20%.
    I'm going to run it for a whole day with wifi off to see if thats the case.

Quote Originally Posted by IlyaK View Post
    Does anyone know if I leave my phone on the touchstone if the alarm will still go off like normal?
    Yes your alarm will go off if its on the touchstone. I leave mine on there every night and I use the alarm to wake me up.
    When your wifi is on (and associated), turn off your phone data. You'll see huge battery savings that way. I wish this is how it worked by default. Pretty dumb that it doesn't. Ideally dissconnection from one would connect with the other.
    Quote Originally Posted by wilderf View Post
    I have been getting decent battery life, but starting a day or 2 ago while at home all day, my battery discharged almost completely a few times while it was just sitting on the counter.

This morning I did a test. With no cards open, it drained from 100% to 75% in a little over an hour. Wifi (encrypted) is on.

I will do another test. I will charge it back to 100%, turn Wifi off and leave all cards closed and see what happens.
    hmm...I am seeing something different then most people.

With Wifi off, Bluetooth on & no cards open : it drained from 100% to 75% in a little over an hour.

I will try turning Bluetooth off now and see what happens...
    This has been discussed in many other threads and there is definitely an issue with this latest update and battery drain with wifi enable WHEN USING CERTAIN ROUTERS.
    The most popular router that appears to be consistently problematic is the Netgear WPN824. Other have reported the issue with the D-Link 655.

Please note that this issue WAS NOT happening prior to the 1.3.5.x update.
    Here's a possible thing to check out:
    Do you have some sort of "headless" app (like MapTool) installed that could be running in the background and periodically trying to use the network (without you realizing it). I suspect I had a similar problem. Perhaps you can install and run the jsTop homebrew app just to see what might be running that you don't remember. (Of course my theory could be wrong so it needs some of you to report back whether this is the case and what the result is after removing such apps.)

thx
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Quote Originally Posted by wilderf View Post
    hmm...I am seeing something different then most people.

With Wifi off, Bluetooth on & no cards open : it drained from 100% to 75% in a little over an hour.

I will try turning Bluetooth off now and see what happens...
    I am down another 17% in an hour with nothing open and no Wifi/BT

Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    Here's a possible thing to check out:
    Do you have some sort of "headless" app (like MapTool) installed that could be running in the background and periodically trying to use the network (without you realizing it). I suspect I had a similar problem. Perhaps you can install and run the jsTop homebrew app just to see what might be running that you don't remember. (Of course my theory could be wrong so it needs some of you to report back whether this is the case and what the result is after removing such apps.)

thx
    I brought up a terminal window and ran top (the terminal window is the only open card).
    The java and LunaSysMgr processes are bouncing around with the most CPU usage (20-70%)...everything else is < 1%

(hmm...after watching it for a while, the java process is around 1% now too...but it was up to 70% sometimes...LunaSysMgr is < 20% ??? I wonder if the phone was doing a data sync?)
    Quote Originally Posted by the.teejster View Post
    This has been discussed in many other threads and there is definitely an issue with this latest update and battery drain with wifi enable WHEN USING CERTAIN ROUTERS.
    The most popular router that appears to be consistently problematic is the Netgear WPN824. Other have reported the issue with the D-Link 655.

Please note that this issue WAS NOT happening prior to the 1.3.5.x update.
    i'm not so sure it's just certain routers. or at least it doesn't seem that's the problem for me. i have a linksys/cisco router & home, & cisco routers at work. my battery drains worse @ home than it does here @ work. signal is plenty strong in both locations. AND i've got an airave @ home that gives me a strong cell signal.

but i do agree that with 1.3.5 i got sweet battery life, and then 1.3.5.1 came along & ruined it.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    I just went to Panera and got on their WiFi and got normal drain. I have the Netgear WPN824v2 router that everyone has been mentioning and get 15-20% drain per hour. My question is could it be encrypted (home) v. un-encrypted (Panera)? I am trying to find a neighbor w/encrypted WiFi to test that possibility.
    Quote Originally Posted by diomark View Post
    It's actually wifi w/ encryption. I wrote about this here -

http://forums.precentral.net/2131674-post80.html

I tested wpa2 vs. open network. Battery drain was ~10-11%/hour with wpa2, and ~1-3% with open network. (I haven't tried weaker encryptions..).

-mark
    confirmed. The issue is not with Wifi but with Wifi-encryption. Turning WEP and WPA2 all off seems to SIGNIFICANTLY improve battery life (that or just turn off Wi-fi, but some places I can't get a 3g connection). In the last 1.5 hrs I've dropped from 21% to 16% (that's much better than the 10-15% with WEP or WPA2). Now that's not a great long-term fix...

So, palm what's the deal here?

Also see: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...e-poll-21.html
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    It's not inherent to Wifi encryption. I use WPA encryption and I leave my
    Wifi on *all the time*, and my Pre idles at less than 1.5% draw per
    hour whether I'm in a Wifi environment or not, and whether it's
    encrypted or not (my home Wifi network is encrypted, most others aren't).

There's a tremendous amount of other non-relevant and misleading
    information in this thread. The post 1.3.5 + Wifi battery drain
    issue has been explored quite extensively in other threads.

Here's what we know to be true.
    Prior to 1.3.5, the Wifi radio was turned *off* whenever the phone
    went to sleep. All background apps that needed to sync data
    would use EVDO instead of Wifi, even if you were in a Wifi environment.

In 1.3.5x the Wifi radio stays enabled even when the phone sleeps.
    However, if it's working properly, it goes into a low power mode in less
    than a minute and will stop responding to pings or other inbound connections
    from other machines on the Wifi network. Mine and many others do this.
    We wait 1 minute after sleep, ping the Pre's Wifi IP and it doesn't answer.
    Wait 5 minutes, ping it, it doesn't answer.
    When background apps wake up to sync their data, they use Wifi.
    Battery drain is very low. I get less than 1.5%/hr on standby
    with Wifi on all the time, GPS on all the time, etc. When it's
    working properly there is no reason to turn Wifi off.
    The Wifi radio is more efficient than EVDO radio.

When it's not working properly, it never goes into the low power mode.
    You wait a minute, ping it, it answers. Wait 5 minutes, ping it, it answers.
    If you open the Terminal app and just let it sit while the Pre sleeps, and then
    come back and look 5 minutes later, you'll see console messages
    indicating that the Pre was going to sleep, and waking up every 1 to 2
    seconds continuously for the whole 5 minute period. *THIS* is the bug.
    Something about the network keeps waking the Pre up almost continuously.
    Battery drain is usually more than 19%/hr when it does this.

For some, changing from one Wifi environment to another
    will change the behavior. Encryption on or off is not a universal factor.
    Some have had luck changing some router settings, for others
    it doesn't help, or causes other problems. I see *a lot* of problems with
    Netgear routers, some Dlink and very very few Linksys. The problem is,
    any time someone finds what they think is a solution, I test the opposite
    to see if it's the cause, and so far I've not been able to reproduce the
    high battery drain on any Wifi network no matter what the settings
    of the router, or the Pre is. There has to be some combination
    of factors that all together, cause the problem.

ian
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    I've been getting faster drain (while in wifi all day).
    I used the battery monitor, two separate days. while at work all I use my phone for is texting, and email.
    And I noticed that my battery had about 20% more running on 3g than on WiFi after 1.3.5.1
    I have a GSM Pre running 1.3.5.2 and I can confirm that with Wifi (WPA2), my phone barely makes it from 10am to 7pm...and without Wifi today, I'm at 71% at 5pm! This is a massive improvement...!
    This is exactly what I found too. At work I can loose a full charge in 4 hours and my phone will go dead if wifi is enabled (even with 3 bars of EV). At home my phone can go 13-15 hours straight on wifi with light usage.

Our work network uses WPA2 so I though it was that and turned it to WEP. Better but not great. I started doing pings and found that the normal network traffic at work was keeping my phone from going into low power mode. If it put a router on that WAP so I only had outbound (internet) capability and it filtered out all the LAN traffic the issue clears up.

The problem is a WOL WOA type issue in the new 1.3.5.1+ Hopefully Palm is at least aware and working on a fix in later versions.
    This was such a huge problem for me after 1.3.5.1 that I now only turn on wifi if I'm using it right that moment. My battery now mostly lasts the whole day again..
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast