1.    #1  
    Greetings all, and a hearty thank you to all those who volunteer their time and efforts here making the Pre a better device for us!

I have an issue I'm hoping somebody can help me with. Preparatory to updating to the new WebOS 1.3.5, I ran preware and uninstalled all my patches, and updated the Package Manager Service as detailed on the Official WebOS 1.3.5 Discussion thread here.

Thinking I was ready to role, I hit updates . . . and nothing. It just keeps spinning, with a "checking for updates" message. I rebooted. Same deal. I rebooted again, just to be sure. No dice. I'm on a strong Wi-Fi connection here at home, so signal strength shouldn't be an issue. It's been going on four hours now, and its still "checking for updates".

Anybody have any ideas on what to do?

Thanks in advance,
    -Tuthmose
  2.    #2  
    Nobody?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Tuthmose

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    There is no problem so large or so complicated that it cannot be solved with brute force and ignorance - Anonymous

"Attack Everything" - Lanoe Hawker, WWI Ace
    Did you by any chance disable updates before? If so, you would need to reverse that. Just waiting is an option too, since as I recall some folks initially had the same trouble updating to 1.3.1. If brave, you might try a partial erase (assuming you sync with Google, and after backing up your data to your computer, and exporting your contacts to a file just to be on the safe side.)

I think that as a last resort you could use the webOS doctor and then update. All versions of the doctor are here. I'd recommend performing a manual backup to your Palm Profile with all your patches removed before you do that, otherwise you may have trouble. I frankly don't see why you couldn't doctor to 1.3.5.1, but I've never attempted a doctor forward, so to speak, so I'm not sure.

Someone will surely correct me if I am wrong.
    I ♥ my Pre.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    I'm having the same problem - stuck on Checking for updates...

I may resort to a partial erase, but I need to figure out how to save my notes from Fliq Notes first.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by McKathryn View Post
    Did you by any chance disable updates before? If so, you would need to reverse that. Just waiting is an option too, since as I recall some folks initially had the same trouble updating to 1.3.1. If brave, you might try a partial erase (assuming you sync with Google, and after backing up your data to your computer, and exporting your contacts to a file just to be on the safe side.)
    Why do you need to sync with Google (as opposed to the Palm backup)?

Quote Originally Posted by McKathryn View Post
    I think that as a last resort you could use the webOS doctor and then update. All versions of the doctor are here. I'd recommend performing a manual backup to your Palm Profile with all your patches removed before you do that, otherwise you may have trouble. I frankly don't see why you couldn't doctor to 1.3.5.1, but I've never attempted a doctor forward, so to speak, so I'm not sure.
    The Palm rep that I chatted with online recommended that I use WebOS Doctor 1.3.5.1, so apparently it is possible.
    I suggest syncing with Google because many forum members lost all but a couple of contacts when restoring from the Palm profile during the last OS update. I learned at that time to use Google for my default account. If you search the forum, you'll find those threads.
    I ♥ my Pre.
  7.    #7  
    Update. Had to WebOs Dr. it. Lost PreWare and all my preware apps, so I'll be reinstalling that this morning :-(

One does wonder why something so simple as an OS update has to be such a major pain. I understand if it doesn't work well with unauthorized third-party hacks. But when it doesn't function smoothly within the OS-makers own system, they need to do some more testing before rolling it out. Heck, migrating OS's on my PC is less of a odyssey than this.

Oh well. Thanks for the responses, folks!

-Tuthmose

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    There is no problem so large or so complicated that it cannot be solved with brute force and ignorance - Anonymous

"Attack Everything" - Lanoe Hawker, WWI Ace
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by procure View Post

I may resort to a partial erase, but I need to figure out how to save my notes from Fliq Notes first.

I email all of my Fliq notes to myself for a back up.
    Quote Originally Posted by pre1561 View Post
    That's a good option. Depending on how many and how large they are, you could also take screen captures of them (orange+sym+p) if that were more convenient. Then, back them up.
    I ♥ my Pre.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pre1561 View Post
    That is a good idea. It would take me forever since I use Fliq Notes as a journal, but it's better than losing everything. I've contacted Mark/Space support - I'll wait for their reply before I resort to this.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by procure View Post

How did this work? I am having same problem. Tried webos doctor but gets stuck when I try to connect the usb cable with the phone. I already did a full erase once to fix another problem I was having with apps catalog.. Ofcourse it didn't. Wonder if another try is worth it for this.. ..
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mulkeym View Post
    How did this work? I am having same problem. Tried webos doctor but gets stuck when I try to connect the usb cable with the phone. I already did a full erase once to fix another problem I was having with apps catalog.. Ofcourse it didn't. Wonder if another try is worth it for this.. ..
    Haven't done it yet... I'll post back here when I do.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    yeah .. I just did.. and thnks a million .. the webosdoctor worked.. a little tricky getting it to work with the cable issue and then picking the wrong version. but got it to work.. Now the update screen even looks better placing you a new window - My applications. There you scroll down to see which apps need updates..

Thanks again!! Hope yours goes well too.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    I was able to update after doing a partial erase. I located and backed up the Fliq notes database to my PC beforehand, and restored it afterwards.