1.    #1  
    so is thier way to backup an app that you like?
    which kind homebrew or catalog?
    for the regular catalog, any app you buy is automatically backed up and if you buy a new pre, or doctor the phone, you can download the app again for free, so, for the most part, there is no need to worry about trying to store it on your hard-drive or something.

hope that helps.
    There are four lights.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    there are some apps that were once free and now updated to be paid..
    for all of those saying no need to backup apps, I have been thinking about this lately and in some form I think you folks are wrong regardless. Now that we are seeing in depth apps, there is going to be a need to at least have a backup of the save file. For example NFS is pretty in depth, would suck to be deep in the game and then have to start over. As I we see more apps like this I think we will see more people realizing the same thing.

with that said even if the save is stored somewhere in the cloud, we all know how well that has worked thusfar.

thoughts? Figure if I get some time today I may go rooting around to see what I can find.
  6.    #6  
    why you ask? well i have 2 palm profiles. 1 of them has an app that works fine the orther profile has the same app but dosen't work for some reason. the app is mcriag.
    All you have to do is copy the folders in /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications to /media/internal and they will be there for viewing next time you plug in your pre to your comp. Use cp for copy and ls to figure out what the folder for your app is called. Stick them on your local harddrive, and reverse the process to restore to the cryptofs file. That can be done from the terminal app or with a rooted pre via putty. Granted with many large apps you need to have plenty of free space, but it's an incredibly simple process.
    cool, this could also be done via webosqi to go straight from the folder to pc right?
    Hm, I don't believe that webosqi's "receive file" function would work for entire directories, and it wouldn't be efficient to try to do it file-by-file. I could be wrong, I've never tried it.
    im trying to get my game save data for need for speed and asphalt 5 back onto my replacement pre. it keeps saying "access denied". please help, I was at the end of NFS and in the middle of Asphalt. I tried internalz and webqi with no luck...
    Quote Originally Posted by palmbeach View Post
    why you ask? well i have 2 palm profiles. 1 of them has an app that works fine the orther profile has the same app but dosen't work for some reason. the app is mcriag.
    i could be wrong, but I think mcraig became a paid app after it was released to the app catalog. Maybe this has something to do with it? I like your question though, I was actually just thinking about this today, cept I wanted to do some reverse engineering on people's apps to see how they did certain things. I'll try out copying the folder to /media/internal like tarirene recommended. Do you do this directly on the phone using terminal?
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tarirene View Post
    All you have to do is copy the folders in /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications to /media/internal and they will be there for viewing next time you plug in your pre to your comp. Use cp for copy and ls to figure out what the folder for your app is called. Stick them on your local harddrive, and reverse the process to restore to the cryptofs file. That can be done from the terminal app or with a rooted pre via putty. Granted with many large apps you need to have plenty of free space, but it's an incredibly simple process.
    I've never had success with terminal, tried to download precorder with it to no avail, had to use webOS quickinstall, and I'm naive to putty, but I do have a homebrew app, keyring, that I lost after a partial erase on my Pre. I used it to store passwords and sensitive info if needed while away from home and my pc, now all that info is gone and I'll have redo it, but this time I'd like to back it up. If its not too much trouble could you please go into more detail on how to backup via terminal? Would be much appreciated. Its not quite that simple for us non-techies, thanks.