1.    #1  
    Clear says not to expect any WiMAX smartphones before end of 2010 -- Engadget

Clear might be busy bringing WiMAX to as many places as it can, but it looks like that won't include smartphones -- like that just-rumored HTC device for Sprint -- anytime soon. That word comes from Phone Scoop, who reportedly confirmed directly with Clear that it doesn't expect to see any WiMAX-equipped smartphones until at least the end of 2010. The company did say that it expects to see more WiMAX phones available in 2011, however, and that any "phone-type device" that uses WiMAX would use either VoIP or Sprint's CDMA network for voice calls. Not surprisingly, Clear didn't drop any hints about exactly who those WiMAX phones might come from.

Umm..what's Sprint doing then? Nothing at CES. And if this is true, no 4G this summer. What are they waiting for?
    I suspect the WiMAX coverage is still far too limited to warrant launching new phones with the technology.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    I suspect the WiMAX coverage is still far too limited to warrant launching new phones with the technology.
    Really? We're seeing mifi devices (Overdrive) & 4G cradlepoint routers.

Sprint's 4G network, which, in theory, can operate at up to 10Mbps, is currently available in 27 markets (or 30million people), including here, but it is slated to be rolled out to several more markets this year. By the end of 2010, Sprint says its 4G network will reach as many as 120 million people in the country.
    "2010 is the year of 4G for Sprint," he told analysts during an investor conference Wednesday.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Really? We're seeing mifi devices (Overdrive) & 4G cradlepoint routers.
    A broadband card/device and a cellphone are completely different animals. Other than connection type, the broadband cards can be generic as they all perform the same function. Cell phones are subject to personal preference, so people will need choices.

Why launch a half dozen phones with a technology that currently only reaches 10% of the population?
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    A broadband card/device and a cellphone are completely different animals. Other than connection type, the broadband cards can be generic as they all perform the same function. Cell phones are subject to personal preference, so people will need choices.

Why launch a half dozen phones with a technology that currently only reaches 10% of the population?
    Not to mention that a 4g/winmax radio is not the smallest of things and they pull more power to run. It would involve a handheld device being a bit bigger. With the need for more psychical room to fit in the 4g radio and a bigger battery to make up for the higher power requirements.

There's already to many complainants on this forum about battery life. And come on, we just got a device that we can finally fit comfortably in our front pockets.

I say give 4g another year or so before we start seeing devices that will be more consumer friendly, as in battery and size.

But I can see a 4g PDA only device sometime in this year. It can get way with being a bit bigger to support the size and power requirements.

Plus isn't Verizon working on an alternate technology called ETF? I haven't been following it but have read around the web bits and pieces about it.

Just my thoughts
    I think you mean LTE. But they are working on a larger ETF (Early Termination Fee) @ $350
    Quote Originally Posted by TWC_SouthPhilly View Post
    Not to mention that a 4g/winmax radio is not the smallest of things and they pull more power to run. It would involve a handheld device being a bit bigger. With the need for more psychical room to fit in the 4g radio and a bigger battery to make up for the higher power requirements.

There's already to many complainants on this forum about battery life. And come on, we just got a device that we can finally fit comfortably in our front pockets.

I say give 4g another year or so before we start seeing devices that will be more consumer friendly, as in battery and size.

But I can see a 4g PDA only device sometime in this year. It can get way with being a bit bigger to support the size and power requirements.

Plus isn't Verizon working on an alternate technology called ETF? I haven't been following it but have read around the web bits and pieces about it.

Just my thoughts
    The Verizon technology you're referring to is LTE, and LTE is the next generation of GSM (well, not TRULY, but since it uses sim cards, it pretty much is. AT&T and T-Mobile will also be upgrading to this standard.) The estimated time of arrival on LTE launching and becoming widely available is 2012, and WiMax is supposed to arrive and be functional faster than LTE.

People still buy PDAs? I honestly haven't seen one outside of the medical community in a couple years.
    Quote Originally Posted by TechSavvy View Post
    I think you mean LTE. But they are working on a larger ETF (Early Termination Fee) @ $350
    Yep that's what I meant, LOL.... like I said, not really following "LTE" LOL