1.    #1  
    I dont want this post to sound to negative so ill start out by saying that CES was amazing! Just about everything i was hoping to come is on its way. However the only thing that has me concerned is that palm didnt make any mention of whether or not the OS itself was going to be using the GPU. After watching CES the only complaint i have is the overall speed of the OS. Given the hardware thats in the device it really should be alot quicker. Apps take alittle too long to launch and the apps themselves feel sluggish sometimes. For example, scrolling is very choppy and sluggish which dosent sound like a big deal but is actually pretty annoying and brings my overall experience with the device down. I had heard something about css transitions and how that could allow the OS to use the GPU for all of its rendering, is there anymore info on whether or not this is coming? Im really just looking for some feedback on whether or not the OS is ever going to use the GPU. I love my pre, i need some positive info on a fix to the pres overall sluggishness!!
    i dont see why webos wouldnt use the gpu it would certainly make cards and scrolling faster and its already built in seems like its something to hope for in 1.4.1+
    I don't know but I wouldn't see why not? I'm playing EA's Need For Speed on my Pre and the graphics are ridiculous! The GPU is finally awake and wow, no lag, no jaggies, great framerate during gameplay. Game is awesome. Graphics even better. Never seen my Pre perform this smoothly. Played NFS while on a phone call, still performing like a champ! Really impressed. Well worth $10. Easily. I'd buy it again.

It's like a new phone. It makes that much of a difference!
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    I don't know but I wouldn't see why not? I'm playing EA's Need For Speed on my Pre and the graphics are ridiculous! The GPU is finally awake and wow, no lag, no jaggies, great framerate during gameplay. Game is awesome. Graphics even better. Never seen my Pre perform this smoothly. Played NFS while on a phone call, still performing like a champ! Really impressed. Well worth $10. Easily. I'd buy it again.

It's like a new phone. It makes that much of a difference!
    Wait, one more time, so you like it?
    Treo 650p --> Treo 755p --> Pre
    I can see that we'll see the OS utilizing the GPU soon. If/when this happens, we should see smoother scrolling and transitions (like on an Iphone), along with other general improvements.
    ram memory management would help with the leaks too
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    I don't think they are going to use the current technology (pdk) to optimize the OS. It's hardware specific stuff - that's why the games for the pre don't work on the pixie. If they optimized the OS with c/c++, they would have to maintain different code for the different devices...

I think they are waiting to implement opengl through web technologies and the OS will run faster without any modification.. I'd say give it another 6 months...

Quote Originally Posted by Rick9814911 View Post
    I dont want this post to sound to negative so ill start out by saying that CES was amazing! Just about everything i was hoping to come is on its way. However the only thing that has me concerned is that palm didnt make any mention of whether or not the OS itself was going to be using the GPU. After watching CES the only complaint i have is the overall speed of the OS. Given the hardware thats in the device it really should be alot quicker. Apps take alittle too long to launch and the apps themselves feel sluggish sometimes. For example, scrolling is very choppy and sluggish which dosent sound like a big deal but is actually pretty annoying and brings my overall experience with the device down. I had heard something about css transitions and how that could allow the OS to use the GPU for all of its rendering, is there anymore info on whether or not this is coming? Im really just looking for some feedback on whether or not the OS is ever going to use the GPU. I love my pre, i need some positive info on a fix to the pres overall sluggishness!!
    Rishi O.
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    I have wondered about this myself, if the Pre's GPU utilization will improve the overall UI experience of webOS. Sure hope it does! Guess we'll know soon enough. :-)
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    I wonder if they will just wait until better hardware comes out and let the CPU (is that what its called?) handle all the scrolling and whatnot.... instead of implementing the GPU.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I believe they stated that they would be slowly integrating the GPU into webOS itself, in the CES presentation.
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    That would be good news!
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    I was under the impression that they already do use the GPU in the interface. Isn't that what all the card zooming in and out effects are? Seriously guys, have you compared a Pre, iPhone and Droid side by side? The pre and the iPhone kill the Droid at Browser scrolling. I know the iPhone uses the GPU so I just assumed that the Pre was doing the same since it's so similar.
  14.    #14  
    I don't think waiting for cpu's to get better is the answer. If palm did that then they would always be one step behind phones that did utilize the gpu. At this point I think webgl is probably our best bet. If palm was going to use css transforms they probably would have done it already. I'm sure palm will figure something out. My biggest fear is the sluggishness being because of memory leaks and bad code in which case the phone might still be slow. If that was the case I would be more concerned with that then the gpu.