Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    A lot of people seem ecstatic after CES and the announcement of video recording, flash and better games. This was promised since day one and we've been waiting for months. A lot of you are extremely patient and I admire that. I, on the other hand, am perhaps content but not surprised or by any means floored, if anything I'm disappointed Palm didn't have anything outstanding (high expectations, ok, that's another topic).

Between last night and today I decided to compare my Pre to the Iphone 3GS and Nexus One. In every single task I tried to perform, Pre just lagged beyond belief in comparison to the other 2. It took almost 10 seconds for the camera to load up at one point (me and another college just had to laugh it out) to start. 10 seconds is A LOT! We tried it a few more times and it took between 3-5 seconds. Point is that it's not consistent while both 3GS and Nexus One would always take the same amount of time to load.

Web browsing, well, Pre just made me look like a fool. My buddy was already surfing the net while I was waiting for the damn browser to even load up. And yes, I restarted a bunch of times and tested again, removed patches and themes to make sure it wasn't that, I had full bars (and wi-fi), yet our beloved phone just failed.

I am no Pre hater, I love WebOS. I guess I'm just looking for reaffirmation and/or opinions from others. Why do we put up with this?
    I know it's 1st generation and that it will take a while, I've heard the whole spiel before. Unfortunately I've reached my limit and will be moving on in the next month to another phone as speed is just a HUGE issue for me.
    With so many other options out there, how come 70-80% of people on this forum just ignore the lag issues and make the Pre + WebOS sound like the best thing since toast?

What am I missing? What could be? Pre is just playing catch up to what the 3GS (who's only a few weeks younger than the Pre) could do since release day. Then when? 2-10 months from now? By then Apple will have another iPhone and there will be like 10 more Android devices, without counting any other device we haven't heard of.

Enlighten me.

* Btw, this is NO hate thread. It's just a 6 month owner/user who LOVED his Pre till 2 weeks ago where it just failed in several time sensitive situations. *
    Last edited by leroove; 01/08/2010 at 09:31 PM.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    I like that theres always something to look forward to. Theres always an update just around the corner
    leroove... a major point you are missing, or skipping over, is the fact that the iPhone was introduced just over 2 Years ago (Jan 9, 2007). The 3GS is the THIRD version of this phone, which has had those 2 years to build off.

The Pre was introduced just over 6 MONTHS ago and is running on a completely new operating system: WebOS. I'm not a fan-boy, but appreciate the intricacies of building a new business on a new platform in a tough market. Step back for a moment and take a look at where Palm is now... in 6 months, they have built, marketed, and delivered a product that competes side-by-side with a product that has a 2 year head start. Its an amazing achievement. You are concentrating on items that are getting fixed all the time. If you had the 1st Generation of the iPhone, you would remember that it was plagued with HUGE problems and issues. The Pre is no-where near having the issues the first iPhone had, but everyone expects perfection out of the gate. But understand that any of the lags, quirks, etc.. you are experiencing are getting fixed and ironed out incredibly quickly.

I really appreciate your questions and thoughts, but I would encourage you to see industry for what it is... the electronics industry. An industry where products are improved daily. Find a phone/platform you like - enjoy it, and simply accept that no matter what you have, something else will be marketed in a couple months as being better. That's the goal of marketing departments because they need to keep people buying and the best way of doing that is convincing us we don't have the best.

It will never change
    People keep using the Pre wrong, its multi-tasking, you shouldn't have to open up the browser as it should be one of the main apps thats always up. Thats why I love the Pre. I always keep my core apps open and just use advance gesture to swipe between them. At end of the day I'll close them all down. No lag on opening, your just there.
    I just love pretty much everything about the Pre. Every time I find a problem, or limitation; someones posts a patch to correct it. I use to love Palm, but then stopped after they kept coming out with so-called updated phones, that didn't offer anything. When I saw the Pre though; my faith was restored. There is just way too many reasons to list why the Pre is so nice, but it is so far ahead of any other phone, PDA or smart-device that I have used. If Palm would only fix the app store!
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    People keep using the Pre wrong, its multi-tasking, you shouldn't have to open up the browser as it should be one of the main apps thats always up.
    Woah! Don't I feel like a dunce!!! Never even thought of that.
    Great points everyone, thanks! I needed this before just jumping ship.
    Simply, rooting and easy development. iPhone is too proprietary, Android too much of a pain to develop for (in comparison, that is.)
    Richard Neff

My tutorials on WebOS development: Beyond 'Hello World!' | Getting Started - WebOS Development

My apps: Percent Table | SierraPapa
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    I love my Pre because it doesn't frustrate me like all the other phones I've ever had, and because Palm gives me updates so often that I feel secure with the platform. Bottom line? I'm going to be a Palm customer for a long time.
    For the same reason I have loved all my Palm phones.
    They are built by dreamers, not by people trying to make a phone for everyone, they are building a phone for me.
    I remember when Iphone came out and it was splashed all over the media the iphone CAN blah blah blah... And it was like, hey we have been doing that with Treos for 5 years.
    This forum is the reason I enjoy my phone so much, the homebrewers, we have had homebrewers here since my first phone, the Visorphone (first real smartphone).
    I owe (and have contributed) a lot to homebrewers.
    Handspring/Palm has had issues but they have always supported the homebrewers and us as a community. I remember at one Roadshow, I mentioned to one of the Palm Developers that my Treo keyboard squeeked a bit when I typed, he whipped out his tools, disassembled my treo in front of me, replaced the keyboard and gave me his card to contact him if ever I needed help again.
    The Pre is such a custom suit for everyone who owns one but you have to want to make it a custom suit and be a little patient.

I had an iPhone, I had a Droid, yeah they were cool but they were not my phone.
    Pre is my phone.
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    I like it because it has a physical keyboard that slides out vertically, not horizontally and I can type on it with my thumbs. I like it because I can truly multitask moving between multiple open apps and no delay between them. I like it because I can tweak it and modify it to make it my phone with what I want on it with Preware and that it is an open product. I like it because it is a great platform and look forward to what is coming down the pipeline. I like it because it is not an Blackberry, an Iphone, a Droid, a Nexus, or a Hero....it is a Pre and that is why I like it.

It comes down to what fits your needs the best, the Pre fits mine.
    Sanyo SCP 4500 > Samsung SCH 1900 > Sanyo SCP 5000 > Treo 755p > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    I love it because the instinct I had before the Pre Sucked!
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    This forum is the reason I enjoy my phone so much
    we can absolutely agree on that!
    Quote Originally Posted by leroove View Post
    Woah! Don't I feel like a dunce!!! Never even thought of that.
    Great points everyone, thanks! I needed this before just jumping ship.
    Always a pleasure on keeping people with the Pre. Congrats
    multitasking
    I love my Pre because I wanted this phone since the day I found out it existed. While the iPhone held my interest for the first 6 months (tops) after I found out it was being developed, the Pre was the phone I literally followed from day one. I went through the various pains of waiting for Palm to finally announce a date for release (hell, everyone in my social circle knew this damn phone was coming out. Why? Because any cell phone conversation I had involved a phone which could have been considered vaporware from January until May of 2009.)

I damn near jumped for joy when Palm finally announced a release date, and I've been riding the wave ever since. This phone ties together so many parts of my life, in such a seemless way, and has the support of a company dedicated to making it better, while supporting a homebrew community from day one that has pushed and prodded this phone into greatness. Now that some of the initial growing pains and weaknesses are being addressed, I can see a bright future ahead for Palm, WebOS, and the phones that have resulted from their labor.

Most of all, I love my Pre because I feel a sense of ownership and pride when I discuss it. It doesn't make the the coolest kid on the block, nor the smugest, but it does everything I would want it to do, and does it in such an intuitive way that I can't imagine leaving the WebOS ecosystem for another one. Keep your Nexus Ones, iPhones, Droids, Win Mob, Symbian.... I have what I want here.
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    I switched from a 3GS to the Pre.

On the Pre: Going from the web browser to check a new email, back to the browser, back to the email.

Tap, swipe, swipe.

On the iPhone: Going from the web browser to check a new email, back to the browser, back to the email.

Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap... you get the idea.

Different strokes for different folks. Enjoy your new iPhone. I don't miss it a bit.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Why do I love my pre? webOS. It reminds me of how I felt about OS X when I bought my first Mac. So much attention to every little detail. Dig it
    Dave Cook | Fort Myers, Florida | Palm pre | Touchstone | Vaja iVolution Deco
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    The Pre has its glitches, but compared to other phones I've just felt more in tune with the UI (notifications, multitasking, synergy). Iphones are great, but unless they let you do more to personalize it, for me its just an app launcher, but the build quality is definitely excellent. I'm interested in the Nexus One and the Droid for the speed and the feature set, but presently I just don't find them to be compelling enough to make a switch. Sprint has been a plus for me also.
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Different strokes for different folks. Enjoy your new iPhone. I don't miss it a bit.
    No no no...don't get me wrong. Tho I did say in a lot of tasks 3G was faster by NO means did I mean I'd change my Pre for it. In any case a new generation iPhone (I'd wait to see what it's got) or Nexus One.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    I think, like everyone is saying, the Pre was practically just born yesterday in comparison the the iPhone. We all know already Verizon is getting some extras that maybe we can catch. I think the fact of going online and finding out something else is coming this month, next month, etc. is quite exciting. (Like Flash) Anyways, I would toss out the iPhone in favor or the Pre any second.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast