Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. computecam
    Just a theory of mine but, I notice that some of the games like X-Plane for example seem to appear graphically the same to their iphone/itouch versions, not a surprise being that they're ports...
    My point though is that these games can run on the older model iphones/itouches that have lesser hardware and only use OpenGL ES 1.1, the Pre on the other hand has hardware appearing to be faster (It's difficult to find specifications) and that supports OpenGL ES 2.0.
    All this leads me to believe that we are not yet seeing the full 3D graphics power of the Pre.

What do you think?
    Last edited by computecam; 01/08/2010 at 09:21 PM.
    If what we saw in the NFS an Sims demos wasn't the full graphics power of the Pre then I'm even more impressed with what this little engine can do! (I think I can, I think I can, I think I can)
    were seeing the early usage of the GPU, give it a few months =) i just played assassins creed on an itouch and all i can say is I WANT IT!!!! on my PRE!!!!! give it a little for the geniuses that are our devs to get it all down and we will see PSP graphics on games and high quality apps =)
    its going to be an exciting ride!!!!
    i dont think that we are seeing full gpu support either ,but what do i know right .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by forrest09 View Post
    were seeing the early usage of the GPU, give it a few months =) i just played assassins creed on an itouch and all i can say is I WANT IT!!!! on my PRE!!!!! give it a little for the geniuses that are our devs to get it all down and we will see PSP graphics on games and high quality apps =)
    its going to be an exciting ride!!!!
    Better then PSP graphics. PSP has a really crappy GPU with no shader support! I'm going to take a leap out there and say we'll see PS2 type graphics if not better.

-Toaster
    It's just a matter of optimization too, give it some time and we're bound to see impressive (for a mobile platform) games.
  7. computecam
    I wish I could find detailed specs on the pre's GPU specifications (Fillrate, pixel output, polygons a second..) but so far have been unsuccessful.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by toasterthegamer View Post
    Better then PSP graphics. PSP has a really crappy GPU with no shader support! I'm going to take a leap out there and say we'll see PS2 type graphics if not better.

-Toaster
    agreed. Ps2 is quite old and the tech back then was obviously not as good.were seeing lots of power packed into much smaller packages today so to claim ps2 quality graphics on the pre is totally plausible.

wait until john carmack does something on the pre. It might take a while but hell do it if the platform is profitable and then you'll be amazed!

Doom Resurrection of the iPhone was brilliant and looked simply amazing! The best is yet to come for us!
    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    The question is if there will be developer that makes a game specifically for the Pre and is able to get the most out of the hardware. I'm not sure we'll see an exclusive like that anytime soon..
    iPod 3GS/iPod Touch 3rd Gen have the PowerVR SGX535, which can do 28 MPolys/s.
    Palm Pre has the PowerVR SGX530, which can do 14 MPolys/s.

Granted my source isn't that great, just the PowerVR page on Wikipedia, under the SGX section.
    First and only Palm device (thus far): Handspring Visor Prism w/ Sprint PCS Digital Link.
    Other smartphones: Hitachi G1000 w/Pharos Pocket GPS Navigator, and T-Mobile/Sharp Sidekick/Hiptop 2008 (if you call it a smartphone).
  11. computecam
    Thanks, I forgot it mentioned polygons a second in there, from what I have read though it's sound like polygons a second are not the best way to compare GPUs.
    Hey guys, so i'm also pretty curious about what this little gpu can handle. I agree we need to see someone devoted to figuring out just what this little thing can push. I've got an awesome game idea lined up and as soon as the pdk is released, i'm going to do what i can to push out the best quality graphics and gameplay as possible out of the device. Its going to be an exciting and challenging ride for sure, but i have faith in this gizmo!
    I would absolutely love a turn-based RPG of sorts for the Pre/Iphone. That would make my day!
    I think a game like diablo would be pretty sick, with joystick on the left and attack/magic buttons on the right
    Yeah, not a good comparison, but at least one part of a comparison thus far. Will be nice to see how things progress.
    First and only Palm device (thus far): Handspring Visor Prism w/ Sprint PCS Digital Link.
    Other smartphones: Hitachi G1000 w/Pharos Pocket GPS Navigator, and T-Mobile/Sharp Sidekick/Hiptop 2008 (if you call it a smartphone).
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    this is NOT accessing the GPU
    Licotto,

You are saying this is all running off the CPU? If so that would explain the "Too many cards" & crashs. I thought Doom was accessing the GPU? What makes you think the GPU is not being used for these games?
    - Jeff
    Palm Pre- and a 32 GB TouchPad.
    he doesn't know what he is talking about. It is all gpu.
    What on earth makes you think these arent using the gpu? You cannot possibly render 3d graphics this smoothly with the cpu while handling all of the other things going on in these games. Its just common sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Indecom View Post
    What on earth makes you think these arent using the gpu? You cannot possibly render 3d graphics this smoothly with the cpu while handling all of the other things going on in these games. Its just common sense.
    would be pretty amazing if it was just cpu
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast