Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    Basically I went to Sprint today because I have blotches all along the bottom of my screen, due to the phone getting extremely hot during use, and the tech guy told me it isn't an issue and I can't claim a warranty replacement.

Long story short he was telling me if he loads webOS on the device (which is ******** since I have webOS 1.3.5.1 on the phone) it will fix the overheating and magically fix the screen blotches.

I told him I had better things to do with my time and left.

So is this true? How could this not be a warranty replacement issue? I'm going to call Sprint if they don't fix this I'll use that ETF early termination and cancel service ASAP because this is completely unacceptable. As much as I love the Pre these build issues are such a pain in the *** that if I can't get a properly working Pre without defects it's the last Palm device I'll ever own.
    Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    ttt
    Are there any other problems? Possibly an intermittently bad speaker thats causes fuzzy calls? wink wink

If it's a problem that causes issues with use then sprint will do something.
    Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    Are there any other problems? Possibly an intermittently bad speaker thats causes fuzzy calls? wink wink

If it's a problem that causes issues with use then sprint will do something.
    I mean I can lie about it but when they test out the phone they will know it isn't fuzzy or that it works, right?

I'm gonna go check out the Pre at VZW and if it seems peppier and since Sprint isn't willing to help me out I'll just cancel my contract and they can eat 3 phones that have only been on a contract for 6 months.

I am really surprised they weren't willing to give me a new phone on the basis that I will cancel if they don't. I mean I am a premier Sprint customer with 4 lines and I pay well over $150 a month for my bill.

So you have 2 Pre's and a Pixi we got at 2 year discounted price they are willing to eat the $ on by not replacing mine under warranty... that's really smart business, no wonder Sprint is going under.

Sprint is already extremely lucky when I found out about the ETF nullification that ATT is overpriced as hell, or I'd jump ship to the 3GS in a heart beat.
    Wouldn't it be covered under the Palm one year warranty?
    My wife's Pre had a very tiny blotch on the bottom of the screen... maybe 1/4" wide. We were in the Sprint store asking them about a separate issue, they saw that splotch and immediately swapped her out a replacement. We didn't even have to ask for it.
    Go to a different Sprint repair location. I had the same issue with the LaSalle street (Chicago) location being jerks about a replacement - and I was still under my initial 30 day period. I went to another Sprint repair location in the suburbs and told the story of how I was treated and they helped me out with a replacement. It isn't about Sprint policy as much as it is about Sprint employees. You don't have to lie, but exaggerating the issue can help (explain that the issue gets even worse as the phone is used)... and make sure you get to the store about 10-15 minutes before they close on a weekend (that always helps too!)
    Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    I will try going to a different store tomorrow, the funny thing is the guy looked at the blotches on my screen (the tech guy) and goes "Ya those are bad your screen will probably go out completely in a few months" yet still said the issue is cosmetic only and they can't replace the phone.

Tomorrow I'll go to a different store and try my luck, I am not that optimistic since they just flat out told me no when I went to this Sprint store but I guess it can't hurt to try before I go the cancellation route. Sprint will be eating some serious $ if I cancel and if they can't replace my Pre under a valid warranty claim then they deserve it.
    Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    Wouldn't it be covered under the Palm one year warranty?
    Thats what I thought! I told the rep the exact same thing and they just flat out said as long as the phone works no matter how bad it looks or how bad the screen is it can't be replaced. ***!
    Yes. I had the speaker (or was it the phone's radio) issue and was explaining how it doesn't happen all the time...

He said we'll see if we can fix it, then whispered "we can't take these phones apart so even if we cant reproduce the problem we have no way to diagnose it anyhow"

So to answer your question yes.
    Also go to another store.. I was talking to this one store who was no help for too long.
    Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    Yes. I had the speaker (or was it the phone's radio) issue and was explaining how it doesn't happen all the time...

He said we'll see if we can fix it, then whispered "we can't take these phones apart so even if we cant reproduce the problem we have no way to diagnose it anyhow"

So to answer your question yes.
    Also go to another store.. I was talking to this one store who was no help for too long.
    I'll def. go to a different store and try my luck. I was doing the online chat with Palm and the gentleman told me it should also be replaceable under warranty. He said I could call Palm Phone support for free with a ticket number so before I even go into Sprint I'll have a chat with them and see what they have to say about it.

As much as I like my Sprint service, I absolutely hate dealing with anyone who works for Sprint because you get a million different responses so the same question and people who don't know *** they are talking about. (A tech at sprint today told me my phone would work better once they loaded the webos onto it, literally he said that).
    lol thats a new low... oh that's your problem you need webos haha.
    Let us know how it goes.
    Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    lol thats a new low... oh that's your problem you need webos haha.
    Let us know how it goes.
    I know! I work in software development and he was trying to tell me my phone was malfunctioning because I don't have webOS on the device.... after I pull up the device info and show him it clearly says '1.3.5.1' he says "oh you must of installed it on there improperly"

@ that point I was done.

So I called Palm directly today, they said if I can't get resolved via Sprint I can pay $30 and get my phone replaced for a refurb version. Advanced something or another, so when I go to Sprint tomorrow if they don't help me out I'll go that route. I do really like the Pre and Sprint has me spoiled with the low prices making me not want to go else where.
    I went into the Sprint store with my phone stick in headset mode, carrying a pair of headphone to put them in and out to get it out of headset mode and the guy said I was smart for carrying them. Then it came out of headset mode and the just ordered me a replcement.
    Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mmcnamara43 View Post
    I went into the Sprint store with my phone stick in headset mode, carrying a pair of headphone to put them in and out to get it out of headset mode and the guy said I was smart for carrying them. Then it came out of headset mode and the just ordered me a replcement.
    So they ordered it under the 1 year warranty or 30 days? I am not just starting to think it was that Sprint store that was just not willing to help me even though they clearly saw I had an issue.