I never thought that it would happen, but my Pre fell out of it's case and landed flat on it's back on the floor. The screen is 100% black, with a few visible cracks in one corner when the backlight is on. I guess all of the pixels leaked out. The touchscreen is still apparently working, and thankfully I had the wifi turned on so that I can get an ssh prompt into it to pull a backup. My employer paid for insurance on it, and a brand new Pre is on it's way. (Believe it or not, none of the corporate Sprint stores had one in stock for purchase today, but that's another story.) This is the first cell phone that I've ever broken, going all the way back to 1987.

On the bright side, my Pre may have given it's life so that others will not ever be stuck in a similar situation. I developed a backup imaging procedure back in August, but was hesitant to share it because I wasn't sure if it made an exact clone (including ESN) of a Pre. Plus, I had no way to test my work without whacking my Pre, which is something that I can't do because it's a 24x7 emergency phone for the people paying for it. Long story short, I guess that I don't have a choice but to test the procedure now, so I guess I'll be releasing another homebrew WebOS app before long if the procedure works.

Keep your fingers crossed.....