Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    Debating getting one, finally, but was curious if people were still blaming it for cracking the screen or not (one theory was that the amount of heat getting generated was causing the issue).

Already had one screen go, and it looks like I've got hairline cracks in the current phone as well-- while it doesn't seem like a big issue to get it replaced these days, not sure the hassle is worth the convenience & cost.

Thoughts?
    The touchstone could never cause the screen to crack, unless you threw them at each other. The touchstone doesn't create much, if any heat.

People's screens are cracking mostly from mis-use, and poor build quality.
    no 'Thanks'
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    I guess you haven't read some of the cracked screen threads-- people were reporting that the screens were cracking overnight while left on the touchstone, and other people were reporting that the touchstone was making the Pre become insanely hot while charging, as in "too hot to hold" hot.

Your comment is positive, though-- could be that they have resolved whatever issue people had previously...
    Quote Originally Posted by jsabo View Post
    I guess you haven't read some of the cracked screen threads-- people were reporting that the screens were cracking overnight while left on the touchstone, and other people were reporting that the touchstone was making the Pre become insanely hot while charging, as in "too hot to hold" hot.

Your comment is positive, though-- could be that they have resolved whatever issue people had previously...
    People can report what they want. If the touchstone somehow caused the screen to crack by heat---that would be some unbelievable temperatures, and I think you'd see other symptoms.

99% of people are perfectly happy with their TS, and remember that most people only speak out when there is a problem--not when they're happy.
    no 'Thanks'
    Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    Hmmmm, i just bought one but havent used it yet. Only really bought it for the back cover but it was on sale so i bought the kit.
    People lie.
    Quote Originally Posted by pretext View Post
    Hmmmm, i just bought one but havent used it yet. Only really bought it for the back cover but it was on sale so i bought the kit.
    Wait... you bought a TS kit, just for the backplate? Um, okay.
    no 'Thanks'
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    Wait... you bought a TS kit, just for the backplate? Um, okay.
    to be fair, the touchstone back makes the pre feel a million times better
    This signature for rent
    I no longer use my touchstone. It did make the phone get hot. Dont know about cracking the screen. Mine just kept kicking in and out of charging. Or sometimes I would get up in the morning and the phone didnt charge at all. I do like the back cover better.
    Never had any problems with my TS even making the Pre warm, let alone "uncomfortably hot." Not saying it didn't happen -- there are plenty of defective products out there. Just saying it's a rarity -- otherwise at the very least, Engadget or the Palm-hating BGR would have been all over it.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    The only times that my phone has gotten really hot is on a car charger or power inverter using Telenav and it has gotten really hot
    i use my touchstone all day at work and all night at home

i've never had an issue

for what it's worth, I have noticed that the battery stops charging on the touchstone if the temperature reaches 50 celsius, which most certainly is NOT hot enough to crack a screen.
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
    I've had my TS since launch day, never had any issues at all. It still runs like a champ.
    I've had and used a touchstone since the end of June. Never a problem. The back gets warm, but I've had it get warmer when the phone is constantly roaming. If peoples screens are breaking, my guess is they already had a weakened screen from other causes. Just my opinion.
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by neville View Post
    i use my touchstone all day at work and all night at home

i've never had an issue

for what it's worth, I have noticed that the battery stops charging on the touchstone if the temperature reaches 50 celsius, which most certainly is NOT hot enough to crack a screen.
    That might be the difference from older versions. Guess I'm convinced to pick this up now
    Quote Originally Posted by jsabo View Post
    That might be the difference from older versions. Guess I'm convinced to pick this up now
    Older versions of what? I've had both my Pre and Touchstone since launch week.

But do pick up a Touchstone, and enjoy it! You'll never want a phone without that capability again.