Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    just watched this video:

and in it they not only mention the double ram but a faster processor (!). not sure I entirely beleive it though as it was never mentioned in the CES presentation and the lady demo'ing NFS doesn't seem to know much.
    I wrote this in a separate thread.

===========================
    what are your thoughts on the perceived speed increase being due to the CPU being "unthrottled".

We have the speed tweaks through homebrew, but maybe Palm is boosting the CPU a tiny bit with WebOS 1.4. I realize that the demo units were supposedly running 1.3.5.1, but you never know.

If the CPU is sped up, that would mean more battery usage but maybe they have a larger battery to go along with the update that may be available to us later. Just a thought.

Sony did this with the PSP. They purposely stepped down the CPU until they came out with their higher capacity batteries after a year or so after release.
    ===========================
    No I think this is actually the ram of the machine being 16 gigs instead of 8. I noticed the same thing when I got a 16 gig iphone 3g after having the iphone 2g. Besides the 3g chip, the gps, and the added ram it was the same machine on the inside, but it ran much smoother for some reason. The added ram just gives the hardware more room to breath. I have no doubt that if the Pre+ had a better processor in it that palm would be bragging. Another theory would be that the 1.4 brings with it some better optimization that 1.3.5.1 is lacking. It is the same release that is bringing with it flash.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dz1262 View Post
    No I think this is actually the ram of the machine being 16 gigs instead of 8. I noticed the same thing when I got a 16 gig iphone 3g after having the iphone 2g. Besides the 3g chip, the gps, and the added ram it was the same machine on the inside, but it ran much smoother for some reason. The added ram just gives the hardware more room to breath. I have no doubt that if the Pre+ had a better processor in it that palm would be bragging. Another theory would be that the 1.4 brings with it some better optimization that 1.3.5.1 is lacking. It is the same release that is bringing with it flash.
    Adding 8 gig of storage space should not change the performance of the OS, as the OS is not using that space. It is in its own dedicated area of storage. Now I suppose it is possible that the new storage could itself be faster in the Plus than in the original.

Looking at the slide from CES I tend to think they did double system RAM from 256 to 512 since it was listed as two separate items. If that is not what they intended then it was a poorly designed slide.
    I think you mean Storage Memory instead of RAM. RAM is what the system uses to store processes while they're running while the other is similar to Hard Drive space.

What's compelling in the argument that it's both now 16 gigs and 512MB for RAM is that on the presentation slide it lists double the Memory and 16gigs of space, implying they mean double ram double drive space.

angiest beat me to the punch. But it's up in the air wither or not more Storage Space makes things faster as well since that gives the OS more room to create a page file, and what's nice about SSDs are the read speed is always constant rather than variable based on location of the data it needs, but you can generally assume that a pagefile won't be more than twice the size of the RAM, so 512 currently. So it should be fine under most conditions.
    No I think this is actually the ram of the machine being 16 gigs instead of 8.
    I think you mean flash memory, not RAM. The amount of flash memory would have no impact on device performance in this circumstance.
  7.    #7  
    from 4:13

"we do have a higher performance processor"

and 4:52

"and it does have a faster processor"

5:12

"we do have a different processor that's a higher performance processor"

then someone asks about the speed in terms of MHz and she says

"not really to share, kinda just telling you its a higher performance processor...(couldn't make out the rest)"
    This is starting to get old. If you look at the CES video and skim to the end where John Rubinstein presents the pre plus he mention double the memory and 16 gigs of storage space. It is also shown on the screen, so it does have double the ram and storage space.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by kinster02 View Post
    This is starting to get old. If you look at the CES video and skim to the end where John Rubinstein presents the pre plus he mention double the memory and 16 gigs of storage space. It is also shown on the screen, so it does have double the ram and storage space.
    I'm talking about the processor speed...
    Spank/flame me if i'm wrong... But what if, like mentioned above and I mentioned on another thread, the CPU is "unthrottled" to 600Mhz and it has faster RAM and flash? Like putting higher speed DDR2 RAM in your PC.
    Live free or DIE!
    I understand about the processor being in question but there are a lot of doubts concerning the the doubled ram(memory) plus 16gigs of storage which was mentioned.
    Quote Originally Posted by kinster02 View Post
    I understand about the processor being in question but there are a lot of doubts concerning the the doubled ram(memory) plus 16gigs of storage which was mentioned.
    Sure there are doubts. But having more memory and flash wont necessarily make it faster, it will make more apps run faster together without needing to swap. The Pre doesnt start swapping till you start loading it up with open cards.
    Live free or DIE!
    The processor is a very, very major component in today's smartphone, and is used as bragging rights by every manufacturer with something to brag about. If Palm put a different/faster/better/creamier processor in the Pre Plus, they'd have highlighted it.

I do agree that Rube said the Pre Plus has more memory and storage, and so I believe the 512MB dealio. But I simply don't believe there's a different processor.* And, I think that the speed differences people have noticed with the Pre Plus is due to optimizations. I watched a video with a Pre showing video (and thus running at least a variant of 1.4) and then another showing NFS (which I believe is said to be running 1.3.5.1). I personally thought the 1.4 device was running faster than the 1.3.5.1 device, which seemed to run about the same speed as my Pre.

*It could be that the manufacturing defect with the processor that's been previously noted, that is, the one that causes a failure if the speed patch is applied, could possibly have been fixed. In that case, then Palm could feel more comfortable speeding things up. That's problematic, however, because if true then Palm will be facing lawsuits around the "defective" processor in current devices.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    I do believe the pre plus has a faster processor the lady clearly says it with out saying it. Se clearly hesitates, holds back and basically says she is not at liberty to say.
    It could either be that this new batch of omap3430 can now be pushed to 600mhz. Or they are using omap36xx which can be clocked at 750mhz or 1ghz.

I wish people understood ram and flash memory totally different. and used differently. It was clearly stated Double the RAM assuming 512 give or take.

This would clearly make more sense as to why they are calling it the plus. As to why they may be hiding the fact that may have a different faster processor. It could be a number of things. Not to let the competition know, not to **** off sprint customers, Maybe like the other guy said avoid a lawsuit.
    Yeah and at last year's CES presentation, one of the reps said the Pre had Flash. A full year later and we're still waiting.

Reps make mistakes sometimes
    I would laugh if they said the word " snapdragon " ha !
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    I spoke with Palm Customer Service this afternoon regarding the Pre vs. Pre +. Was told they are identical. The plus was added to designate a Verizon unit vs. Sprint
    Quote Originally Posted by LaserLarry View Post
    I spoke with Palm Customer Service this afternoon regarding the Pre vs. Pre +. Was told they are identical. The plus was added to designate a Verizon unit vs. Sprint
    Well, we know for sure that the Pre+ has 16GB of storage space, so the Palm rep loses credibility there.
    Below are my thoughts, and until an accredited blog/news site specifically states added RAM in the Pre+, I will leave this as speculation that may be true.

- Perceived speed increase in hands-on videos does not necessarily mean additional RAM. For all we know all radios have been turned off to not take up any processing power.

- Presentation bullet points state separately "Twice the internal memory" and "16GB of storage". Very possible that RAM is doubled from these bullet points, but if they're one of the only phones to have 512MB RAM, it would have been to their advantage to specify the amount.

- Like the point above, added RAM would be big enough news that tech sites would have pointed it out by now.
    Engadget states (my own emphasis):
    The Palm Pre Plus will ship with twice the internal memory of the original (up to 16GB), a standard induction cover for Touchstone charging (it was an option before), an omitted navigation button on the front panel (to keep it clean, we guess) and a Big Red logo.
    Palm introduces Palm Pre Plus: 16GB, coming to Verizon on January 25th -- Engadget
    I'll eat my shorts if the RAM has been bumped up to 512MB on the Plus, but if it's unchanged, those that are adamant its 512MB will have to do the same.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast