Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Those of you who are saying "why didn't Palm specify 512MB specifically" are forgetting that they never announced the RAM on the Pre itself in the first place besides the fact it's been confirmed by Palm engineers.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Those of you who are saying "why didn't Palm specify 512MB specifically" are forgetting that they never announced the RAM on the Pre itself in the first place besides the fact it's been confirmed by Palm engineers.
    I totally agree, and many may feel my view is flawed because the number wasn't specifically stated anywhere, but I don't think I'm out of line to notice that blogs haven't eaten up the spec bump by now.

Specs are the stuff Engadget, Gizmodo, Boy Genius Report, etc. live off of.
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    As an engineer (for a completely different company and product) I find it comical you're all trusting the sales reps they had on the floor.

http://www.dilbert.com/strips/comic/2007-01-11/

As a purely out of the air guess, the Pre+ has the same CPU as the Pre but updated CPU. A lot of changes could happen warranting just minor model # bumps over a year and have the sales reps saying "faster". For example, a new stepping, a better thermal design in the chip, a better thermal design in the board layout, a better latency understanding leading to a new board layout, etc. would all make the CPU either be faster at the same clock rate and/or allow a higher clock rate.

As a Sprint Pre owner I will applaud Palm if the device actually has a new CPU and increased RAM. It means the next device of Palms on Sprint will be even better. More importantly, they listened to us and are making the changes needed to stay alive so they'll still be around when our 2 year contracts are up. It's not like they're abandoning our generation of phone like some other fruity companies do.
    Last edited by Honis; 01/08/2010 at 06:09 PM. Reason: The IMG didn't show up so some duct tape needed to be used.
    Some examples of Engadget reporting on spec bumps from other product updates.

- Reports that Iphone 3GS increases to 256MB RAM from the 3G and original Iphone.
    iPhone 3G S processor specs: 600MHz CPU, 256MB of RAM -- Engadget

- Going old school here...reports that Treo 700wx bumps up to 64MB RAM from 700w.
    Palm makes Treo 700wx official for Verizon -- Engadget

I hope and think it would be great if they bumped the RAM on the Plus...I want them to add more. I just don't see the definite proof at this point.
    That customer service rep is a *****, you can clearly see the physical difference, so how is this identical?
    Ok, I stand corrected. I just reviewed the hands-on article again on Gizmodo and they do make mention to specifically doubling the RAM. "It's speedier, thanks to the double RAM that's been added.." Hrrrmmmmm.......

Palm Pre Plus First Hands-On: Super-Fast, Button Removal Is No Problem - palm pre plus - Gizmodo
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertSilver View Post
    I wrote this in a separate thread.

===========================
    what are your thoughts on the perceived speed increase being due to the CPU being "unthrottled".

We have the speed tweaks through homebrew, but maybe Palm is boosting the CPU a tiny bit with WebOS 1.4. I realize that the demo units were supposedly running 1.3.5.1, but you never know.

If the CPU is sped up, that would mean more battery usage but maybe they have a larger battery to go along with the update that may be available to us later. Just a thought.

Sony did this with the PSP. They purposely stepped down the CPU until they came out with their higher capacity batteries after a year or so after release.
    ===========================
    My thoughts exactly, ok we wont get more ram, but when palm release these battries though it will be for a lot of money...they will create an update for the existing pre's that remove the underclocking of the cpu and restore it to its native 600mhz.

Note the patches in preware didnt overclock the cpu to 600mhz as thats its natural clock speed.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaserLarry View Post
    I spoke with Palm Customer Service this afternoon regarding the Pre vs. Pre +. Was told they are identical. The plus was added to designate a Verizon unit vs. Sprint
    not identical when one has a button and the other does not and one has double the memory and the other one does not so...............
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Probably a little off topic, but it looks like they possibly upgraded the camera to 3 MP?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Oh, sorry. I thought the original was 2 Mp.
    can you say snap dragon lol i hope it is that would be awesome if it had it!!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    I can say one thing ,i dont thing is much about the processor ,but i do have glyder 2 game and that thing open instantly i mean instantly while the calendar still slow or any other app.I am not good when become to processor and software,but i believe is how the software use the resources (the hardware).In this case the calendar maybe only use the cpu while the game use the cpu and gpu. Just and opinion.The phone at ces was running 1.4 so maybe is a change on how the software use the resources.
    Global Posts
    401 Global Posts
    I will bet it has the same amount of RAM as the Sprint Pre...

Palm people always end up saying "RAM" instead of "Flash Memory" because that's what all our old, old Palm classic devices had; actual RAM that stored all our applications and data. I'm sure someone (Palm employee? :P ) slipped up at CES and mentioned "Double the RAM" during a product demo, and everyone from the media immediately wrote "DOUBLE THE RAM!!!" in big red marker on their big goofy clipboards.

I won't believe it until I see physical paperwork from Verizon on the subject.

The official Palm site says nothing about it on their specifications for the Pre Plus.

I call BS on increased RAM altogether as I believe it's a media bumble for the 16 GB Flash upgrade.
    Last edited by Kujila; 01/08/2010 at 09:30 PM.
    I know this is not the best resource of information ,but by Wikipedia the Plus is 512 ram.

Palm Pre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts

1:50
    Engadget mention the 512mb ram in the CES podcast that covers Palms CES performance .. they might still be wrong but normally they are not
    why doesnt anyone call palm and ask?? that is if the reps arent more clueless than we are...
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    ('')_('') signature to help him gain world domination
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujila View Post
    I will bet it has the same amount of RAM as the Sprint Pre...

Palm people always end up saying "RAM" instead of "Flash Memory" because that's what all our old, old Palm classic devices had; actual RAM that stored all our applications and data. I'm sure someone (Palm employee? :P ) slipped up at CES and mentioned "Double the RAM" during a product demo, and everyone from the media immediately wrote "DOUBLE THE RAM!!!" in big red marker on their big goofy clipboards.

I won't believe it until I see physical paperwork from Verizon on the subject.

The official Palm site says nothing about it on their specifications for the Pre Plus.

I call BS on increased RAM altogether as I believe it's a media bumble for the 16 GB Flash upgrade.
    It has been confirmed in the public #webos-internals IRC channel by multiple people from Palm. Both RAM and Flash are doubled.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    401 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    It has been confirmed in the public #webos-internals IRC channel by multiple people from Palm. Both RAM and Flash are doubled.

-- Rod
    Oh Lame. I should pay more attention to IRC I guess. Tell those panzies to add it to the spec sheet on the official website then.
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    Actually, the Pre+ has 16gigs of memory, instead of 8 and doesnt have the center button on the front. Apps like Mobile Hotspot can be added to Sprints Pre, and they work.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast