View Poll Results: should we be able to vote threads for deletion?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

11 32.35%
  • NO

17 50.00%
  • Who's Joni and Chachie?

6 17.65%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    i was reading some threads and there is a lot of complaining on complainers and then people complaining on those who complain about complainers (wow, that sentence actually makes since)

there seems to be a lot of repeat threads. just look how they tried to control that by: when you type in a title it give you examples of others that are similar to check out before you publish. (of which i really dont care about. i still help if i can (helping might include but not limited to cracking a joke))

then there are those who complain about people who complain about repeat threads.

i can easily go on, however i think you get my point.

My question is.......

would it be possible or interesting enough for the forum members to vote off threads that are deemed too much, or too negative, or too repetitive, or to "its already answered now get rid of it", or what ever.

would it keep the forum clean?
    would it really matter?
    should joni really kiss chochie? (i may have dated myself with this one)
    does it really matter?

of course there would have to be a certain number of people to vote it off and the mods would have final decision, but it may draw notice to it.

i personally dont care. a great example of one that would probably be voted off but is the funniest thread is http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-palm-pre.html this thread should go as a sticky for every one to read. funniest one here but it may go away

i just figured it would be one less thing to complain about?
    Pre be with you.

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm. -- Winston Churchill

Happiness is not achieved by the conscious pursuit of happiness; it is generally the by-product of other activities. -- Aldous Huxley
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    No.
  4.    #4  
    roflmfao
    Pre be with you.

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm. -- Winston Churchill

Happiness is not achieved by the conscious pursuit of happiness; it is generally the by-product of other activities. -- Aldous Huxley
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzard Jr View Post
    i was reading some threads and there is a lot of complaining on complainers and then people complaining on those who complain about complainers (wow, that sentence actually makes since)

there seems to be a lot of repeat threads. just look how they tried to control that by: when you type in a title it give you examples of others that are similar to check out before you publish. (of which i really dont care about. i still help if i can (helping might include but not limited to cracking a joke))

then there are those who complain about people who complain about repeat threads.

i can easily go on, however i think you get my point.

My question is.......

would it be possible or interesting enough for the forum members to vote off threads that are deemed too much, or too negative, or too repetitive, or to "its already answered now get rid of it", or what ever.

would it keep the forum clean?
    would it really matter?
    should joni really kiss chochie? (i may have dated myself with this one)
    does it really matter?

of course there would have to be a certain number of people to vote it off and the mods would have final decision, but it may draw notice to it.

i personally dont care. a great example of one that would probably be voted off but is the funniest thread is [url] this thread should go as a sticky for every one to read. funniest one here but it may go away

i just figured it would be one less thing to complain about?
    You do realize, of course, that; except for the voting angle that you injected into this, your thread is a repeat of complaint threads?
    Oh yeah, umm.... It was a rant too.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    You do realize, of course, that; except for the voting angle that you injected into this, your thread is a repeat of complaint threads?
    Oh yeah, umm.... It was a rant too.
    Do you realize that you've manage to quote an entire thread that spans more than half a page, and that your including the quote wasn't at all necessary because your post was in reference to the OP's ENTIRE post?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Survivor PreCentral? Do I get to vote people off the board too?
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzard Jr View Post
    That sounds like the mods jobs.

The better solution would be to put stricter rules on thread subjects. As frustrated as some may get over repetitious "complaints", they still are attempts at Palm Pre discussions and should exist. But what could easily be eliminated are the "complaints about complainers" threads. They serve no purpose since they tend to have nothing to do with the Pre itself and usually are filled with personal attacks.
    Quoting entire "wall of text" posts is possibly the most ridiculous thing done on forums. I suggest you spin up some Alison Krauss and refocus.
  10.    #10  
    its not a complaint or a rant. i dont really care. if i dont want to read something i dont. period.

im just trying to find a solution, or a way to make those people who get irritated easily feel a little better about things.

not that things will be deleted. but maybe just maybe they will feel better knowing they voted to get rid of a thread.

that and i want to see what peoples opinion is, i find it funny
    Pre be with you.

Could you imagine what would happen if we could vote for/against stuff? Imagine they gave that power to the masses.... chaos would rule....
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Do you realize that you've manage to quote an entire thread that spans more than half a page, and that your including the quote wasn't at all necessary because your post was in reference to the OP's ENTIRE post?
    Sorry 'bout that.
    Was that a complaint?
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    That sounds like the mods jobs.
    exactly,

however i was wondering if it was a way to draw attention to the mods for them to make judgement and throw the first stone, and i guess last for all that matters
    Pre be with you.

I think it's a reasonable idea, not necessarily to have the power to remove posts, but at least people would know wither or not it's a topic worth viewing.

Though I think the solution could also be solved by more categories and strict rules about posting in the correct category, though that would mean more Moderator intervention.

Especially a complaint category
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Quoting entire "wall of text" posts is possibly the most ridiculous thing done on forums. I suggest you spin up some Alison Krauss and refocus.
    Doing this from the Pre. It's easier to quote the whole thing (just orange button and swipe down to the end), even though I may or may not want to.
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    Could you imagine what would happen if we could vote for/against stuff? Imagine they gave that power to the masses.... chaos would rule....
    I would love to be able to vote against a politician without having to actually vote for another politician in the process.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GenericMusings View Post
    Survivor PreCentral? Do I get to vote people off the board too?
    That actually would be fun. I know I wouldn't last long enough to see it all go down, but I bet a lot of people here would be surprised at how quickly they'd be voted off because their attempts at being "helpful" are actually viewed as obnoxious and distracting by the bulk of the forum readers.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    I think it's a reasonable idea, not necessarily to have the power to remove posts, but at least people would know wither or not it's a topic worth viewing.
    interesting. a little thumbs up and thumbs down with a percentage next to it and people could see easily from the main page what the outcome was. and make a decision if they really wanted to go in.
    Pre be with you.

You can report a post that is dumb/stupid/moronic/duplicate/mean/rude/crude/evil/beets/bears/battlestargalactica

That is kinda like voting. We then look at the post to see if it warrants any action.

Also, you can vote on a thread using the stars...
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    That actually would be fun. I know I wouldn't last long enough to see it all go down, but I bet a lot of people here would be surprised at how quickly they'd be voted off because their attempts at being "helpful" are actually viewed as obnoxious and distracting by the bulk of the forum readers.
    i know i would be gone with my feeble attempt at humor
    Pre be with you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast