Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. Tiako44's Avatar
    Posts
    104 Posts
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
       #1  
    I have had the phone for almost 6 months now and I am thinking it is not worth having insurance on it anymore. Sprint has the 1 year upgrade and I know I will be getting another phone in 6 months. Hopefully in that time Palm will have something new out. I also figure that I could prob pick up a used 1st gen pre for 100 bucks. Which is the deductible for the phone or is it 150?..

    Has anyone else dropped the insurance?
  2. #2  
    The deductible is $100. I'm keeping it precisely because I have 6 more months - if my phone dies in between, I have a phone until upgrade time, and then have a 'newer' phone to sell on eBay, even if it's a refurb.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

    Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
  3. #3  
    ahh, because I have 2 kids with Pre's lol
  4. jezer29's Avatar
    Posts
    93 Posts
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    #4  
    Sorry but why would you take the gamble of paying $48 ($8x6/month) as to having to pay hundreds of dollars, if something was to happen to your phone within the next 6 months??? Cause if you know the future, please let me get tonigths Win 4 #'s for the NYS Lotto.. Lol But all jokes aside those odds are not in your favor. If something happends to your phone you plan to get a clean (as in a pre that its account has not balance) Pre from where?? 9 times out of 10 their not.. Unless its a close friend thats the only way I would buy a phone like that from someone. I was going to buy a BB Tour from craigslist the other day for my 2nd line. Guy text me yea good, I'll see it to you for $100 buck. But when I tell him give me the ESN cus I have a friend that works at Sprint so I can confirm that its clean.. That was the end of our convo.. What if your not able to find one.. Your still going to have to pay out the contract for the remaining 6 months and that way more than $8 bucks a month man.. $8 bucks!!!
  5. #5  
    Personally, I take good enough care of my devices that I know I'm not going to drop them or anything like that.

    I had insurance for years on multiple devices and the only time I used it was when my Treo radio stopped working overnight.

    If some sort of freak thing happens like that within the first year, you'd better believe that I'd be considering that a manufacturer defect and getting it replaced anyway under my warranty.

    After the first year, you get the upgrade price... and you've just saved $84 in monthly charges, plus no $100 deductible.

    So basically, if it breaks after a year you can either pay ~$200 for a refurbished version of the same old device, or choose to put that money toward a new phone.

    For myself, I choose the latter. For those who tend to break things more often though, it's worth it to keep the insurance. I don't know how many times my brother has gone into the pool or something with his phone in his pocket, it's too many to count. If you ever do things like that, then by all means, keep the insurance.
  6. Tiako44's Avatar
    Posts
    104 Posts
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
       #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Personally, I take good enough care of my devices that I know I'm not going to drop them or anything like that.

    I had insurance for years on multiple devices and the only time I used it was when my Treo radio stopped working overnight.

    If some sort of freak thing happens like that within the first year, you'd better believe that I'd be considering that a manufacturer defect and getting it replaced anyway under my warranty.

    After the first year, you get the upgrade price... and you've just saved $84 in monthly charges, plus no $100 deductible.

    So basically, if it breaks after a year you can either pay ~$200 for a refurbished version of the same old device, or choose to put that money toward a new phone.

    For myself, I choose the latter. For those who tend to break things more often though, it's worth it to keep the insurance. I don't know how many times my brother has gone into the pool or something with his phone in his pocket, it's too many to count. If you ever do things like that, then by all means, keep the insurance.

    This is pretty much what I was thinking.. I think if anything goes wrong with the phone at this point then it is palms fault. I have never claimed insurance on a phone before.
  7. #7  
    both my wife and I have been through multiple devvices. Nothing major, but if something goes bad, you can play it up and get a new one. I have always had insurance on my phones, and will probably always keep it. My phones are too valuable to not insure, as I need it for everything I do. I wouldn't drop it, but if 6 bucks a month is too expensive, you need to reconsider even owning the device.
  8. #8  
    What if you drop it and crack the screen? Is that a manufacturer defect?
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post
    What if you drop it and crack the screen? Is that a manufacturer defect?
    Solution: Don't drop it.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Solution: Don't drop it.
    No one means to drop it, and unless you never take it out of your pocket, then there is always a chance.

    That is unless you have some secret levitation powers, then, I'd say you are OK.
  11. #11  
    Yep, my phone was stolen recently, and I paid the 100$, and got a replacement.
  12. Tiako44's Avatar
    Posts
    104 Posts
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
       #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post
    What if you drop it and crack the screen? Is that a manufacturer defect?
    I am going to order a case. That will protect it.
  13. Tiako44's Avatar
    Posts
    104 Posts
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
       #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by classydread View Post
    Yep, my phone was stolen recently, and I paid the 100$, and got a replacement.
    I have had a cellphone for 8 years now and have never lost or got one stolen..

    Lucky me but my cell phone is glued to me.
  14. #14  
    Insurance is, by definition, a gamble. If you don't use it, you've lost $7/month. If you drop / lose / break your phone at the sixth month mark, after cancelling service, you're out quite a bit more.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

    Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
  15. Tiako44's Avatar
    Posts
    104 Posts
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
       #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by misterwilson View Post
    both my wife and I have been through multiple devvices. Nothing major, but if something goes bad, you can play it up and get a new one. I have always had insurance on my phones, and will probably always keep it. My phones are too valuable to not insure, as I need it for everything I do. I wouldn't drop it, but if 6 bucks a month is too expensive, you need to reconsider even owning the device.
    Every dollar counts and you have to consider risk vs money. Insurance companies would not bank if everyone made a claim. I am betting I won't need to make a claim in the next 6 months. If I do I will just sell the broken phone on ebay for parts and buy a cheaper non data phone for the remaining months. I just don't see the phone breaking because of me with a case on the phone.

    Money saved is worth the risk.
  16. KJ78's Avatar
    Posts
    838 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post
    What if you drop it and crack the screen? Is that a manufacturer defect?
    if it appears to be a stress crack and not a sudden fracture, yes

Posting Permissions