1.    #1  
    I'll probably receive my GSM Pre on monday.
    I'll probably flash it with the 1.3.5 firmware one way or the other.

Can somebody tell me what the difference in results will be between:
    a) installing the sprint 1.2.1 (which doesn't check for the pre model) and then letting the device update itself to 1.3.5(.1?)
    and
    b) flashing 1.3.5(.1?) directly by swapping out the jar file

are?

How about baseband updates? using the 1.2.1 approach probably won't install GSM baseband updates.

Were there any?
    What is the probability of the 1.2.1 approach trying to flash my baseband with a cdma firmware?
    Personally I've found that the Sprint method seems to work better. I'm not 100% sure why exactly, but I think that hacking the 1.3.5 jar into the 1.3.1 installer may leave you stuck with the old 1.3.1 radio stuff; I had great battery life with the sprint method, then discovered how to replace the jar files and did that, ever since, my battery life really hasn't been so great... Considering redoing the Sprint method.
    This may be an isolated case, but it's just my experience. Sprint's 1.2.1 doctor won't screw up your phone.
    webOS Ports' UI Architect & luna-sysmgr guru.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by ShiftyAxel View Post
    I think that hacking the 1.3.5 jar into the 1.3.1 installer may leave you stuck with the old 1.3.1 radio stuff
    But would updating the sprint version using the web update install a new GSM baseband?! Would be kinda weird if it actually did, considering it is a CDMA ROM
    I think each build of WebOS has both the latest CDMA and the latest GSM files- it detects your hardware and then installs the relevant files. All this mucking about with release times is most likely down to the carriers I'd think, if it was up to palm they's probably just release a universal update whenever they felt like it.
    webOS Ports' UI Architect & luna-sysmgr guru.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by ShiftyAxel View Post
    I think each build of WebOS has both the latest CDMA and the latest GSM files- it detects your hardware and then installs the relevant files. All this mucking about with release times is most likely down to the carriers I'd think, if it was up to palm they's probably just release a universal update whenever they felt like it.
    at least O2 Germany said in an eMail that they don't have anything no say with the releasing of the updates.

In the 1.2.1 sprint update, there is a "cdmacustomization-sprint_1.0.0-17_armv7.ipk" file with the description "PRI/PRL for CDMA phones" (?Phone Radio Interface?). It has the maintainer: "OpenEmbedded Team <openembedded-devel@lists.openembedded.org>"

This seems to invoke a command called:
    Code:
    echo -n start update PRI/PRL ...
    PmModemUpdater < $PREFIX/usr/lib/modem/cdmaCust.tar
    The tar file only contains 11 kb of data files, so I guess this shouldn't be the WHOLE baseband firmware.
    Here's a string dump of the 02.pri: pastebin - collaborative debugging tool
    The other file (Sprint_60652.prl) is just binary.

I'll take a peek into the O2 rom in a few minutes.

UPDATE: found something!
    In the sprint file there are 2 firmwares:
    castlecdma_evt1_fw.tar
    and
    castleumtsfw.tar

UPDATE2: for some reason, the o2 file doesn't have those weird customizations
    SO I guess they DO ship both UMTS and CDMA firmware in one package
    Last edited by rb2k; 01/09/2010 at 06:44 AM.