Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Now that the Pre has moved to Verizon, I am in a quandry. I am with Verizon and was planning to move to Sprint just for the Pre. I wanted the everything family plan for $129 (Sprint). I spoke to a Verizon rep and he said 'to be careful b/c that price will go up' (big surprise he would say that!) The rub is that my wife does not seem that interested in a smartphone (as much as that is killing me!) It looks as though my smartphone everything plan with her regular phone is cheaper at Verizon and 2 smartphones with everything is cheaper at Sprint. Does that sound right? Besides, I can get the phones cheaper at Verizon with my upgrade discount. Can anyone please help??? Besides, if I stay with Verizon, I can get into a new plan in April as opposed to waiting until my contract is up in August (YES!!!)
    What kind of "help" are you looking for? Sounds like you've done the math and you don't save with Sprint unless you get 2 smart phones. I think Sprint will need to continue with aggressive pricing, so I wouldn't worry too much if you do switch ... but why would you want to? Bigger network at Verizon, people seem to like the service, and you'd get the Pre Plus. I'm happy with Sprint, but would certainly think Verizon is a good option if the money is the same (or better) ... AT&T would be a different story.
    My wife was also resistant to a smartphone. One other advantage to the Sprint family plan is that Sprint Nav is also included, which is present on many Sprint feature phones. (Wifey loves her some GPS!)
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by teach1love View Post
    It looks as though my smartphone everything plan with her regular phone is cheaper at Verizon and 2 smartphones with everything is cheaper at Sprint. Does that sound right? Besides, I can get the phones cheaper at Verizon with my upgrade discount. Can anyone please help??? Besides, if I stay with Verizon, I can get into a new plan in April as opposed to waiting until my contract is up in August (YES!!!)
    That's true with AT&T also. Because my wife does not have a smartphone, I pay less on AT&T than I would with Sprint.

Not sure why you are even considering switching to Sprint. It won't save you money, the Network is not as good and the Sprint Pre is not as good as the Verzion Pre. Seems like a no brainer to me.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Everyone I know on Verizon says that it's great, but I see their bills and it's ridiculous. Sprint is just sooooooooo affordable that I never want to leave.
    My wife's flip phone is on VZ and I'm on Sprint. For us that was the the most reasonable option. Family plans on either carrier would have cost more.
    Price is only one thing to consider. Does Sprint or Verizon cover the areas you live in and use the phone. I find Verizon has better coverage at my home which was important to me. The few extra features will come to Sprint I am sure before you re-new your contract again. Change is always coming but we will have to put up with Obama for the rest of his term.
    Being a former Verizon customer, the main difference with Sprint and Verizon is that Verizon nickel's and dime's you to death with all of their hidden fees such as things like texting, you pay $9.99 for unlimited text's but wait, that's for only people in the Verizon network, if you want to text people outside of Verizon, that will be an additional charge. Oh, do you want navigation? Well, that's going to cost you an additional $29.99 a month. I am sure that if you want tethering for you new Pre Plus it is not going to be cheap, I has wireless for my laptop and that was $59.99 a month plus fees and taxes.
    When you add all of Verizon's little gotcha's into their monthly cost, they are alot more that Sprint. When I left Verizon, my last bill for a smartphone and a regualar phone with all of the hidden fees was over $180.
    Last edited by netwrkr9; 01/08/2010 at 01:27 PM. Reason: typo
    I've had both services and I'll say the coverage is equal.

Therefore, Sprint wins due to price. I agree with the idea that Verizon "nickel and Dime's you to death".
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    On their website it says unlimited text. Are you saying that only applies if you text another Verizon subscriber? Talk about shady advertisement.
    Unless Verizon has changed their plans in the last 6 months since I was with them, yes, that is only for phones inside of the Verizon network. A lot of my daughter's friends were on other carriers and you know how kid's like to text, so after a hefty phone bill, I opted to pay an additional fee for unlimited texting outside of Verizon's network.
    my bill on verizon was 90 after taxes for 450 mins unlimited text and data but their internet was slower than sprints. im paying 55 after taxes with sprint and alot happier! verizons customer service once your on their plan and not close to being out of contract is crappy! plus its a 350 etf now instead of sprints 200 not that im leaving!
    viva la Sprint!
    Been a long time Sprint user and always been happy with them. As for the wife not wanting a smartphone, my wife said that too before she got the Pre. We were both up for new phones and I wanted to get the Pre. We needed to switch to the everything plan anyway so I got her a Pre too. She has loved having the functionality of a smartphone.
    This is easy: Go with Sprint, hands down. Just look at Sprint's pricing vs. Verizon's. There's really no debate. A big advantage Sprint has over Verizon is the free mobile-to-mobile deal. ANY cell phone you call is free. No minutes used. It's amazing.

Sprint's data speeds are blazing fast too.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    verizon has roaming on the CTA subway. sprint does not. a smart phone with no data for most of your commute is pretty dumb. in chi town vz is a winner.
    Sprint is way cheaper for both individual or family, I myself have the Everything 450 Plan - $69.99 + $7.00 (Insurance) = $76.99 + Taxes... well I also get a 20% discount since I work for a company that allow me to received cell service discounts.. 20% = $-14.00 so with everything + taxes I pay $65 a month xD

Its a STEAL not a DEAL.... lol
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ78 View Post
    verizon has roaming on the CTA subway. sprint does not. a smart phone with no data for most of your commute is pretty dumb. in chi town vz is a winner.
    haha, and the Chicago subway is one of those places where it's a matter of life or death to have a phone handy.

seriously though, I can't as a whole badmouth Verizon other than their pricing plans. I was with them for 10 years but only because everyone else was.

Just last night I switched my parents over to Sprint. They were on the $79.99 family plan. My mom was always complaining about her bill being so high. I finally took a look at it and Verizon was charging them an extra $30 IN FEES ALONE on top of their rate plan price.

Granted, on Sprint, I'm on an individual line plan, but my fees are $2.07.

Verizon always has been overly proud of themselves.
    Roaming on verizon network is free with sprint and you can roam the sprint network free with verizon. Whose network is Verizon roaming on in CTA subway? i don't understand. If sprint has no coverage in the subway then the phone will roam the verizon network with data so what is there to lose?
    I totally agree. Great point, as I've had not issues roaming there!
    Roaming on verizon network is free with sprint and you can roam the sprint network free with verizon. Whose network is Verizon roaming on in CTA subway? i don't understand. If sprint has no coverage in the subway then the phone will roam the verizon network with data so what is there to lose?
    Sprint used to Roam on US Cellular in the subway. Not anymore. And Verizon fairly recently (2008?) signed a 10 year deal with the CTA to be the second service provider with subway service.

It's just more Chicago/Mayor Daly politics.
    The problem that I see with the analysis done here is that Verizon and AT&T *can* be cheaper if you work at it. So for example, imagine this family:
    • 1 smartphone user w/unlimited data, no texting, no gps
    • 1 dumbphone user w/no data, no texting, no gps
    • total monthly minutes needed 550 max

In that situation, Verizon and AT&T give you options that Sprint doesn't. On Sprint, the best you can do is:

Everything Data 450 for the smartphone
    Talk 450 for the dumbphone

But since Verizon and AT&T give you a lot more ala cart selection, you can construct a plan that's cheaper than what you can on Sprint.

The above used to be the requirements for my family. I used all kinds of data, and hardly any voice. My wife used all the minutes and no data. On VZW I could construct a plan for this that totaled $73/mo (*). On sprint the cheapest I could do was about $83/mo.

But recently, I've added my son to the mix and that changed everything. Mainly because it really changed the mix of requirements that we had. Now, two phones need data, and all three of us need to start texting in order to keep up w/our son. This mix on Sprint costs $112/mo. But on Verizon, the cheapest we could construct is over $150/mo. And Verizon's minimum price offers a *LOT* less service - no gps for all of our phones, and no data for my wife. On Sprint we get all of that included.

(*) All prices above are after company discounts have been applied but before tax and fees have been applied.

My point is this: AT&T and Verizon have a few limited situations in which they can be less expensive than Sprint. These situations are beneficial *if* you have very minimal needs. But stray too far from those minimal needs, and they become much more expensive than sprint, very quickly.

My recommendation:
    1. List out what your requirements are for phone service
    2. Determine which vendors have sufficient coverage for your usage
    3. Go to each of those vendors and have them quote you the least expensive plan that meets all of your requirements. Tell them that you're shopping around & going with whoever comes in cheapest. (This creates an incentive for them to go as low as they can.)

In most cases that involve a smartphone, Sprint & T-Mobile will be the least expensive. But in a few cases, Verizon & AT&T will win. YMMV.
    Last edited by mu7efcer; 01/08/2010 at 04:11 PM.
    Twitter: dullgeek
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast