Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    It mystifies me why this hasn't be said yet, but to me this is the most important thing besides coverage:

Sprint gives you Sprint Navigation for turn by turn GPS navigation. Verizon doesn't.

That is a big deal.

The iPhone still doesn't have built in turn by turn GPS navigation and most Android phones don't (requires 2.0)

Get it on Sprint. I use my GPS navigation all the time. It's a lifesaver.
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesCarnley View Post

i used it all the time going from Beaumont to Houston for work
    Hi, in my area, V has far better coverage, than Sprint. In addtition V has MUCH BETTER cust. service.

as of today 01/08/10 no one at V could tell me if there is a different rate for Pre plus plans!
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    haha, and the Chicago subway is one of those places where it's a matter of life or death to have a phone handy.

seriously though, I can't as a whole badmouth Verizon other than their pricing plans. I was with them for 10 years but only because everyone else was.

Just last night I switched my parents over to Sprint. They were on the $79.99 family plan. My mom was always complaining about her bill being so high. I finally took a look at it and Verizon was charging them an extra $30 IN FEES ALONE on top of their rate plan price.

Granted, on Sprint, I'm on an individual line plan, but my fees are $2.07.

Verizon always has been overly proud of themselves.
    Make sure you do referrals on all lines!
    The coverage is great, I have to admit. It's awesome. But it's not cheap... at all. One of the greediest companies around.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi, in my area, V has far better coverage, than Sprint. In addtition V has MUCH BETTER cust. service.

as of today 01/08/10 no one at V could tell me if there is a different rate for Pre plus plans!
    Pre Plus plans will be the same as any other smartphone on Big Red, data will be mandatory. What's unclear is how they will charge for the mobile hotspot. Yes, there will definately be a charge for that ON TOP OF the data plan.

• $60 for 450 minutes and unlimited texting (Select Plan)
    • $30 for unlimited PDA data and personal email (POP or IMAP)
    • $30 for tethering with above data rate
    • $45 for unlimited PDA data and corporate email (Exchange)
    • $15 for tethering with above data rate
    • $10 for VZ Navigator (turn by turn GPS)

Can you pay me now? Good!
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by thatguy7 View Post
    Make sure you do referrals on all lines!
    can i get a referral for each line (2) or just the account (1)?
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesCarnley View Post
    It mystifies me why this hasn't be said yet, but to me this is the most important thing besides coverage:

Sprint gives you Sprint Navigation for turn by turn GPS navigation. Verizon doesn't.

That is a big deal.

The iPhone still doesn't have built in turn by turn GPS navigation and most Android phones don't (requires 2.0)

Not to me. My car has a built in NAV system which is much better than any phones or even portable unit for that matter. I also have a portable unit for vacations (it has European and NA maps).

For my phone, as long as google maps can access the GPS hardware I am happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    The problem that I see with the analysis done here is that Verizon and AT&T *can* be cheaper if you work at it. So for example, imagine this family:
    • 1 smartphone user w/unlimited data, no texting, no gps
    • 1 dumbphone user w/no data, no texting, no gps
    • total monthly minutes needed 550 max

The above used to be the requirements for my family. I used all kinds of data, and hardly any voice. My wife used all the minutes and no data. On VZW I could construct a plan for this that totaled $73/mo (*). On sprint the cheapest I could do was about $83/mo.

But recently, I've added my son to the mix and that changed everything. Mainly because it really changed the mix of requirements that we had. Now, two phones need data, and all three of us need to start texting in order to keep up w/our son. This mix on Sprint costs $112/mo. But on Verizon, the cheapest we could construct is over $150/mo. And Verizon's minimum price offers a *LOT* less service - no gps for all of our phones, and no data for my wife. On Sprint we get all of that included.
    We have the same requirements as you originally had. My wife has a work Blackberry she can use for personal email, I have a work BB that has a very restrictive IT policy (no personal email, no BB messenger, no memory card access etc). Therefore I carry a personal smartphone, she doesn't.

BTW Blackberry messenger is way better than texting if both parties have BBs. It's free (included in BB plan), fast, you can message any BB in the world, and it tells you when your message gets delivered and read.
  10. TJB
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    More key points:

As a Sprint Premiere customer I get to get a new phone every 12 months. That's huge. Technology changes so fast, it would be hard to wait 2-years.

Second, have you tried Sprints customer service lately. I usually rate any customer service bad or just barely OK. But Sprint has exceeded my expectations and is EXCELLENT.

Example: I bought my Pre on release date in June, and when the price dropped in September, I called them and they gave me a $50 dollar credit.
    Another example was my father-in-law was in the hospital for 6-months and did not use his phone, Sprint with no questions asked gave me a credit for that as well.

I always have excellent coverage, never drop calls here in Chicago. Remember coverage also depends on the phones ability to get a a good connection too. Also Chicago has 4G now!!!

Sprint Nav is better than my Garmin and I don't have to pay for their ridiculous update fees that Garmin charges.

I also travel and I always seem to get great coverage.

Just my 2 cents
  11. TJB
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    OOPS!

How could I forget all mobile to mobile calls are free regardless of the carrier. Most of my calls are mobile so I hardly use any minutes and was able to reduce my plan.
    i appreciate the roaming agreement between sprint and verizon, but sprint is much cheaper for me.
    Im a Sprint customer and very happy with the service. I also own stock of sprint. So why are they losing customers why are things so bad compared to the other two.
    I have never understood why sprint is doing so poorly. It must be groupthink and gossip. And I think people just like to follow the crowd.

once you find a 25% monthly discount (google it) sprint offers so much more for $ it is ridiculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by illini71 View Post
    Im a Sprint customer and very happy with the service. I also own stock of sprint. So why are they losing customers why are things so bad compared to the other two.
    Because even though the customer service is much better than it used to be, there are still people who think that it is absolutely terrible, and that there is no way it could have changed. Granted, these are also the same people who pay Verizon $50 more a month for fewer services.

Customer Service for any company is going to be hit or miss. It mostly depends on the attitude you take going in to it. If you are angry and yelling at the person (who didn't have anything to do with the initial problem) there is a much higher chance they aren't going to try and go the extra mile to help you out. They are just going to do the bare minimum so you get off the phone and stop yelling at them (all of us would). There's a reason the customer service industry has extremely high employment churn, it is the customers yelling at the rep who didn't have anything directly to do with their issue, and that causes them to just quit because they can't deal with it.

If you are ****ed off, before calling wait a little bit and calm down. If you are calm there is a much higher chance your issue will be resolved the first time and satisfactorily. By calm I don't mean submissive, you can be adamant about what you want, but the person you are talking to 99% of the time didn't cause the issue and you yelling/ranting in their ear while they are trying to do fix it isn't going to help.

Explain the issue (If you know what it is), and tell them how you would like it resolved. If they have that to go on, there is a higher chance it will be fixed the first time around. Don't ask for ridiculous things in compensation, keep in mind this is a business, there are policies in place to prevent people from cheating the system, and just because they can't do something for you doesn't mean they don't want to, chances are what you are asking for is too much.

This won't work every time, there are going to be reps mixed in who shouldn't be working in a call center, but hte majority of the time as long as you are calm and collected the issue will be fixed. The same goes for going into a store. If you are ****ed off they aren't going to want to deal with you. Whereas if you are calm and adamant just tell them what you want, they will probably work to get it done.
    Kevin
    Retail Communications Consultant
    Sprint Corporate Retail Store (Advanced Exchange)
    HTC Mogul - Palm Treo 800w - RIM Blackberry Curve 8350i - HTC Touch Pro - Palm Pre - HTC Hero w/2.1

Any mis-spellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional; they are placed there for the enjoyment of those who like to point them out. Above post is based on my personal opinion and knowledge, it is not an official position on behalf of Sprint Nextel. Enjoy. :-)
    For me, I would love to go to Verizon for the improved coverage in my area and data (data while roaming on Verizon is 1X only..)

I pay $99 for the unlimited plan on Sprint, the somewhat equivalent (without navigation) from Verizon is $129.99.

Both offer me a corporate 15% off for the plan, but still it's $30 more a month.

If Verizon came out with a $99 unlimited with data at least, I would switch. I can live without the navigation I guess. I'm in NY.

I can always switch to roam, but that's not logical to do it all the time. If the technology was there to NOT drop the call and switch to roaming while on the call with Sprint plans, that would correct my coverage issues, along with 3X data roaming when on the Verizon network.

If Verizon was smart, they would come up with a promo to switch from Sprint and offer an equivalent unlimited plan and credit you for the Sprint cancelation fee. They could pick up allot of NY customers. Just my $0.02!
    www.lgwebos.com user to user support.
    Quote Originally Posted by ajmboy View Post
    For me, I would love to go to Verizon for the improved coverage in my area and data (data while roaming on Verizon is 1X only..)

I pay $99 for the unlimited plan on Sprint, the somewhat equivalent (without navigation) from Verizon is $129.99.

Both offer me a corporate 15% off for the plan, but still it's $30 more a month.

If Verizon came out with a $99 unlimited with data at least, I would switch. I can live without the navigation I guess. I'm in NY.

I can always switch to roam, but that's not logical to do it all the time. If the technology was there to NOT drop the call and switch to roaming while on the call with Sprint plans, that would correct my coverage issues, along with 3X data roaming when on the Verizon network.

If Verizon was smart, they would come up with a promo to switch from Sprint and offer an equivalent unlimited plan and credit you for the Sprint cancelation fee. They could pick up allot of NY customers. Just my $0.02!
    Verizon charges 149.99 for unlimited and that does not include vznavigator or exchange services.

apples to apples

for everything included in sprints 99.00 s/e, on Big red it would be 149.99 + 9.99 (vznav)+30.00(exchange service)= 189.99 + taxes and bs fees.
    Last edited by 2sslow; 01/09/2010 at 12:39 PM.
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    With sprint you get new customer pricing every year for the primary line towards a new phone. Verizon is every 2 years... thats huge.
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    You would love to go to Verizon to get raped with fees? Turn on roaming for your Pre. Paying 99.99 for the unlimited seems pointless imo since you get free mobile to mobile. If I were you I would switch to 69.99
    Yes they do nickle and dime you as I've learned with Fios. I've been with Sprint/Nextel for 10 years now...went to a pre from my ic902.

$99 is not pointless for me because I receive allot of land line calls and use @ 2600-3100 anytime minutes a month. (I use my phone for work).

I've been anaylizing plans for years to suit my needs.

Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post
    Verizon charges 149.99 for unlimited and that does not include vznavigator or exchange services.

apples to apples

for everything included in sprints 99.00 s/e, on Big red it would be 149.99 + 9.99 (vznav)+30.00(exchange service)= 189.99 + taxes and bs fees.
    I don't believe you need to pay $30 for Exchange. I could do without the navigator so a $129 unlimited plan would work for me if it was $99.

Verizon coverage is better and rate of dropped calls is much lower. I'm sometimes tempted to leave my phone on roaming all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by cashen View Post
    With sprint you get new customer pricing every year for the primary line towards a new phone. Verizon is every 2 years... thats huge.
    I usually wait the 2 years to renew my contract, then negotiate a free phone to renew. I got my pre and my wife's samsung free last May to renew. I've done this 4 times or so over the past 10 years.
    www.lgwebos.com user to user support.
    Quote Originally Posted by ajmboy View Post
    Yes they do nickle and dime you as I've learned with Fios. I've been with Sprint/Nextel for 10 years now...went to a pre from my ic902.

$99 is not pointless for me because I receive allot of land line calls and use @ 2600-3100 anytime minutes a month. (I use my phone for work).

I've been anaylizing plans for years to suit my needs.

I don't believe you need to pay $30 for Exchange. I could do without the navigator so a $129 unlimited plan would work for me if it was $99.

Verizon coverage is better and rate of dropped calls is much lower. I'm sometimes tempted to leave my phone on roaming all the time.

I usually wait the 2 years to renew my contract, then negotiate a free phone to renew. I got my pre and my wife's samsung free last May to renew. I've done this 4 times or so over the past 10 years.
    I think you need to check again! BigRed does not offer any unlimited plans for 129.99 w/ data!

129.99 1350 mins w/ data
    149.99 unlimited w/ data
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast