Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    The webOS update announced at CES closes a lot of gaps in what kind of apps are possible on the Pre. OpenGL, Flash, video recording. I don't recall any mention of microphone support. Was that announced? Is it really that tough a problem to solve?
    videos taken with the Pre will have sound for sure. Does that answer your questioon?
    Global Posts
    415 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GoTitans View Post
    videos taken with the Pre will have sound for sure. Does that answer your questioon?
    Holy crap - I had the same question and never even put 2 and 2 together. Thanx for pointing out the obvious!

...Even though the vid recording app will probably be in-house and Palm can access whatever API they want...
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    precorder in homebrew has been doing video + sound recording for over a month. can even specify recording only video or only audio.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by arcane View Post
    precorder in homebrew has been doing video + sound recording for over a month. can even specify recording only video or only audio.
    So these APIs already exist? Why do I always see complaints that apps like Skype or Google Voice Search won't be possible until microphone APIs are opened up?
    Global Posts
    415 Global Posts
    ...And that would be fine if it worked reliably. Personally, I couldn't get precorder to work on my Pre. A sanctioned solution will be a very welcome one.
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    @sumitkishore i don't know the first thing about programming, but precorder can record independent sound files if you ask it to.

@etnpnys precorder worked on and off for me, but that's why they call it alpha. it's not ready for primetime, but as a proof of concept, it is amazing that they did it without any sanctioned help.
    Global Posts
    415 Global Posts
    @etnpnys precorder worked on and off for me, but that's why they call it alpha. it's not ready for primetime, but as a proof of concept, it is amazing that they did it without any sanctioned help.
    I agree completely. A sanctioned vid recording app is going to be great to have, but my expectations are going to be higher also.
    this means I can see shazam in our future LOL
    I was looking at the Guitarist's Reference Pro update in the App Catalog and it stated that it included a guitar tuner now. I wonder if this simply outputs a note to tune to or if it analyzes your guitar string through the microphone. If the latter, then hopefully there is an API in the works to access the mic. Does anyone have it and know?
    Welp, where's the phone recorder or the webOS version of CallRec? I miss that app.
    Of course there is a microphone API, otherwise the Phone app would be useless. The problem is, it isn't public. However, with the PDK, I believe anything as far as hardware goes will be available to devs.
    Developer of:

-------------------------------------
    Discuss my apps in my developer forum
    Quote Originally Posted by sumitkishore View Post
    So these APIs already exist? Why do I always see complaints that apps like Skype or Google Voice Search won't be possible until microphone APIs are opened up?
    Because a public, documented API is not yet available.
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    I very much want Call Record ( CallRec )for the Pre also, was my most used app on my centro.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s