Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Now that we all got everything we wanted from CES (we all did, didn't we), how about a little speculation about the "next" Pre? Not only on timing, but on specs and what it should be.

Really Mobile had this to say (in another thread)
    Quote Originally Posted by Really mobile View Post
    my assumptions: Pre/Pixi 1 will be discontinued soon (1-3 months) and then Sprint will get the Pre/Pixi Plus. The around June/July WebOS 2.0 will be launched (with or w/o new form factor) to counter the new iphone. AT&T will have a short term exclusive on that (for 3 months or so).

This launch approach is similar to what BlackBerry has done with the bold/tour...and newer models of the curve.
    I agree to some degree, but I'm not quite as sure that AT&T will get the Pre2 before others, but that's a good possiblity to try to pull in those who are still unsure about an iPhone.

I suspect all three; Sprint, Verizon, and AT&T getting a Pre2 in July.

As far as specs, I don't think there'd be a big change in processor internals, I think that would involve too much tweaking to WebOS; however, I would like to see a major change in form factor.

I think form factor could be Palm's opportunity to make a device that pulls away from the Pixi or the Pre.

I'm impressed with how much sturdier the Pixi is; but Palm has a problem trying to duplicate that on a higher end device, that's screen size. To have a non-slider physical keyboard and a large screen, Palm would have to create a huge device. To have a large screen and still keep it reasonably small, they almost have to have a slider.

I think a better option than either was what Sony did with the Clie. Personally, I would love to see their basic design (and build quality) with a capacitive screen, SD slot instead of Sony's memory, lightweight metal case and WebOS. I wouldn't have any problem paying big $$ for this:

Attached Images Attached Images
    Im preety confident it was stated during CES that the Palm Pre Plus and Pixi Plus were Verizon Exclusive. So technically the Palm Pre is still exclusive to Sprint

I see sprint getting the Palm Pre 2 if and when it comes out.
    I will be extremely surprised if a Pre2 has any significant form factor changes, and I don't know if Palm has the capacity right now to roll out the "Pluses", update the Pre/Pixi, and expand to another form factor.

I'm predicting that the Pre2 will be announced over the summer, with a bit larger / wider device (to increase screen size) and perhaps a Pixi-like keyboard. I'm betting no Pixi update (other than the Plus) anytime soon.
    Last edited by Bujin; 01/08/2010 at 10:56 AM.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    If they make a landscape slider, they will get the 'landscape slider' crowd... which is a big crowd. $$$$$$$
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Palm Pre 8 gb, Pre Plus 16 gb, Pre 2 32 gb - following apples format - no card slots perhaps the Pre following the Pre 2 will have 64 gb?
    Palm Deinde (latin meaning after or following).

Just don't call it the Pre 2.... Two Pre's don't make a.... well I don't know the answer to that one.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    I vote a big no to what the OP proposed. May as well put a fork in em if Palm is dumb enough to do that.

The Pre's screen can't really be increased. It's perfect for that form factor. I don't see a Pre II's build differing much except for a better slider, maybe different mats.

If Palm wants a bigger screen, they'll need a landscape slider or slab.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I vote a big no to what the OP proposed. May as well put a fork in em if Palm is dumb enough to do that.

The Pre's screen can't really be increased. It's perfect for that form factor. I don't see a Pre II's build differing much except for a better slider, maybe different mats.

If Palm wants a bigger screen, they'll need a landscape slider or slab.
    Yup. No need to reinvent the wheel. Everybody is going to 3.7-inch+ screens. Palm should too. Landscape slider. Charging port at the bottom. Done.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    If they make a landscape slider, they will get the 'landscape slider' crowd... which is a big crowd. $$$$$$$
    But the keyboard on the Clie was so much better than a slider, landscape or portrait.
    Hmmm - I wonder if Palm will create a phoneless Pre - like the iPod Touch perhaps ?
    The could call it the pPod.
    Quote Originally Posted by GenericMusings View Post
    The could call it the pPod.
    Taken. I had some in my stir fry just the other day.
    I can't see them having any more exclusive phones. I think the pre2 will launch on the 3 major (maybe t-mobile too) at the same time.

As for form factor I would rather them make a straight slider. This would allow for a glass screen, sturdy body and an easier thinner sliding mechanism.
    I say they should keep the same for factor just add a 3.7+ inch screen, but slider should still slide down. It will be a beast with a OLED screen a faster cpu and more memory.
    Okay. Palm has release a newer Pre Plus now on Verizon with two main new features: 1) can act as a router proxy for up to 5 devices and 2) has 16 gigs (15 usable) memory. That's great! Now what about us folks who own a regular ole (well 7 months old) Pre and who are on Sprint?!?!?. Where I live we can only get Sprint. So, will a Pre Plus be made available using Sprint?

I look forward to the ability to upgrade. But, lets get real: they release the pre Plus only 7 months on our 2 year contract after the June release of the Pre, when the new one now includes the above features we all asked for months before its release and didn't get. Fair is fair, which this ain't. Can't go backwards with existing first generation Pre devices. But, availability to up-grade, change while maintaining current service provision is only fair to the Palm customer base.

-Philip.
    Last edited by Prosemo; 01/08/2010 at 12:50 PM.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Prosemo View Post
    Okay. Palm has release a newer Pre Plus now on Verizon with two main new features: 1) can act as a router proxy for up to 5 devices and 2) has 16 gigs (15 usable) memory. That's great! Now what about us folks who own a regular ole (well 7 months old) Pre and who are on Sprint?!?!?. Where I live we can only get Sprint. So, will a Pre Plus be made available using Sprint?

I look forward to the ability to upgrade. But, lets get real: they release the pre Plus only 7 months after the Pre, when the new one now includes features we all asked for months before its release. Fair is fair, which this ain't. Can't go backwards with existing first generation Pre devices. But, availability to up-grade, change [I]while maintaining current service provision[/I ] is only fair to the Palm customer base.

-Philip.
    To be fair, it was Sprint that pulled the ability to tether. The Pre could do that now, if Sprint allowed it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prosemo View Post

I look forward to the ability to upgrade. But, lets get real: they release the pre Plus only 7 months after the Pre, when the new one now includes features we all asked for months before its release. Fair is fair, which this ain't. Can't go backwards with existing first generation Pre devices. But, availability to up-grade, change [I]while maintaining current service provision[/I ] is only fair to the Palm customer base.

-Philip.
    If you got a current Pre on Sprint and they offered the Plus right now, what would you do? You're not eligible for upgrade pricing. The changes are so minor it's not worth the cost.

This mobile hotspot isn't a Plus feature..it's a verizon feature..which sprint Pre's are easily capable of if Sprint wanted it to happen. Of course, you'll have to spend 30-50 more per month to get that feature even if they did offer it.

Be patient.. Sprint didn't say much at CES but there's other events coming up this year.
    Dear hparson:

Your suggestion for a future webOs device as far as hardware and form factor is crazy, a little "wierd", off the beaten path, somewhat risky market wise, and one I would embrace and buy in an instant. I confess that I didn't even initially notice you were the OP (is this really Herbert? Has your starbuck drinkin Pixie carryin wife commandeered your Precentral account and that explains such a cool post? ) So, here's your props from me. Excellent idea. See what good you can accomplish for Palm?

Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Now that we all got everything we wanted from CES (we all did, didn't we), how about a little speculation about the "next" Pre? Not only on timing, but on specs and what it should be.

Really Mobile had this to say (in another thread)

I agree to some degree, but I'm not quite as sure that AT&T will get the Pre2 before others, but that's a good possiblity to try to pull in those who are still unsure about an iPhone.

I suspect all three; Sprint, Verizon, and AT&T getting a Pre2 in July.

As far as specs, I don't think there'd be a big change in processor internals, I think that would involve too much tweaking to WebOS; however, I would like to see a major change in form factor.

I think form factor could be Palm's opportunity to make a device that pulls away from the Pixi or the Pre.

I'm impressed with how much sturdier the Pixi is; but Palm has a problem trying to duplicate that on a higher end device, that's screen size. To have a non-slider physical keyboard and a large screen, Palm would have to create a huge device. To have a large screen and still keep it reasonably small, they almost have to have a slider.

I think a better option than either was what Sony did with the Clie. Personally, I would love to see their basic design (and build quality) with a capacitive screen, SD slot instead of Sony's memory, lightweight metal case and WebOS. I wouldn't have any problem paying big $$ for this:

PalmOS Treos: 90/300/600/650/700/755/launch day Pre minus/ Evo/Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by BlkAv8r View Post
    Palm Pre 8 gb, Pre Plus 16 gb, Pre 2 32 gb - following apples format - no card slots perhaps the Pre following the Pre 2 will have 64 gb?

i would have to agree on this. If pre 2 comes with 32gig, that would be big!!!!. I do believe that would be the next step. just cuz VZW has the 16gigs, next step would be 32gig
    Just wanted to put my two cents in and say that if the Pre2 is a landscape slider, I will be hugely disappointed. I really can't understand the hard-on so many people have for a landscape QWERTY. I mean ... do you people not like one-handed phone use?

I've owned three landscape sliders - the Rumor, the PPC-6700, and the Mogul. None of them was half as usable in one-handed operation as the Pre is.

I was initially unsure about Palm's choice to go with a portrait slider on the Pre, but now that I've gotten used to it, I sure am glad they did. If they go the route of the Droid/TP2 on their next Pre, it'll be a sad day for me.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast