Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Prosemo View Post
    Okay. Palm has release a newer Pre Plus now on Verizon with two main new features: 1) can act as a router proxy for up to 5 devices and 2) has 16 gigs (15 usable) memory. That's great! Now what about us folks who own a regular ole (well 7 months old) Pre and who are on Sprint?!?!?. Where I live we can only get Sprint. So, will a Pre Plus be made available using Sprint?

I look forward to the ability to upgrade. But, lets get real: they release the pre Plus only 7 months after the Pre, when the new one now includes features we all asked for months before its release. Fair is fair, which this ain't. Can't go backwards with existing first generation Pre devices. But, availability to up-grade, change [I]while maintaining current service provision[/I ] is only fair to the Palm customer base.

-Philip.
    How is it not fair? You signed a contract; you aren't eligible to upgrade for one year. In the world of technology, everything is on the path to becoming obsolete within months; it's just the way it is. Whoever said the world was fair?
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    Just wanted to put my two cents in and say that if the Pre2 is a landscape slider, I will be hugely disappointed. I really can't understand the hard-on so many people have for a landscape QWERTY. I mean ... do you people not like one-handed phone use?

I've owned three landscape sliders - the Rumor, the PPC-6700, and the Mogul. None of them was half as usable in one-handed operation as the Pre is.

I was initially unsure about Palm's choice to go with a portrait slider on the Pre, but now that I've gotten used to it, I sure am glad they did. If they go the route of the Droid/TP2 on their next Pre, it'll be a sad day for me.
    For one handed typing they can maybe implment some special on screen keyboard designed for one handed use and you can pull it up when needed? Seems like a silly reason to shoot down a very popular layout.

I want the landscape slider so it will have a larger screen and larger keyboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    Just wanted to put my two cents in and say that if the Pre2 is a landscape slider, I will be hugely disappointed. I really can't understand the hard-on so many people have for a landscape QWERTY. I mean ... do you people not like one-handed phone use?

I've owned three landscape sliders - the Rumor, the PPC-6700, and the Mogul. None of them was half as usable in one-handed operation as the Pre is.

I was initially unsure about Palm's choice to go with a portrait slider on the Pre, but now that I've gotten used to it, I sure am glad they did. If they go the route of the Droid/TP2 on their next Pre, it'll be a sad day for me.
    But if they release a landscape or slab model they can still keep the current Pixi/Pre form factors (and load these up with webOS 2.0).

I think they will introduce a new form factor so that they have three form factors in the market that run on WebOS 2.0.
    I personally think we will not get a pre2 till ces 2011 or maybe a third device. first off is that the processors that the pre will most likely use is not ready. If palm plans on some how not combat but have a good defensive against apple they will go with the nvidia tegra 2 or with the texas instruments omap4. For get about the snap dragon people its nothing but speed its not as efficient as these two processors. Look up these two processors and you will see what i mean.

2. palm is still trying to expand pre and pixi on other carriers.

3. there is still revenue to make off these phones and i believe although compared to the nexus looks a bit out dated specs wise. Its still good enough to get them through 2010.

4. they can still generate market awareness with what they already have thereby increasing consumer interest for there next webos device.

i suspect pre2 will have
    Tegra2 or ti omap 4
    more than 512mb ram
    16gb-32gb and or removable sd slot
    3.3-3.5 amled glass display
    vertical NOT HORIZONTAL!!! pixi style keyboard
    1300-1500mah removable battery
    4g/3g/2g
    wifi n,b,g
    fm tuner
    would be cool to have a dtv tuner also but not likely supposedly the samsung moment has it, it just needs a software update

webos 2.0
    wifi tethering
    needs a larger screen. at least teh size of an iphone
    Quote Originally Posted by gregcolon3 View Post
    I personally think we will not get a pre2 till ces 2011 or maybe a third device. first off is that the processors that the pre will most likely use is not ready. If palm plans on some how not combat but have a good defensive against apple they will go with the nvidia tegra 2 or with the texas instruments omap4. For get about the snap dragon people its nothing but speed its not as efficient as these two processors. Look up these two processors and you will see what i mean.

3. there is still revenue to make off these phones and i believe although compared to the nexus looks a bit out dated specs wise. Its still good enough to get them through 2010.

4. they can still generate market awareness with what they already have thereby increasing consumer interest for there next webos device.

i suspect pre2 will have
    Tegra2 or ti omap 4
    more than 512mb ram
    4g/3g/2g
    wifi n,b,g
    fm tuner
    would be cool to have a dtv tuner also but not likely supposedly the samsung moment has it, it just needs a software update

webos 2.0
    wifi tethering
    Waiting a full year will lose alot of the current Sprint Pre users, and the potential to grab people from expiring Iphone and Hero contracts as well. The name of the game in this day and age is you have to have a new phone every 12 months. 5 years ago you could wait cause the tech didn't evolve so fast, now, even 2 months goes by and you're already outdated.
    Larger/higher res screen, latest and greatest processor, 32 gb of memory, 1 gb of ram, would not mind a landscape keyboard as long as they keep a real keyboard and a larger battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by gksspot555 View Post
    For one handed typing they can maybe implment some special on screen keyboard designed for one handed use and you can pull it up when needed? Seems like a silly reason to shoot down a very popular layout.
    Problem is (and I fully admit it might be a personal thing), the only on-screen keyboard I've ever found truly usable without a stylus is the iPhone's. No other manufacturer (including Android) seems to be able to implement that functionality in a non-frustrating way.

I want the landscape slider so it will have a larger screen and larger keyboard.
    Larger isn't always better. I drooled over the photos of the Touch Pro 2's keyboard for months. When I finally used one two days ago, I was struck by just how terrible it was. Sure, the keys were big, but I was astounded at how difficult it was to avoid my thumbs sliding off each one onto its neighbor.

Ultimately, it's a question of personal preference. I just find myself using my phone one-handed a lot of the time because I'm always on the move, and a landscape slider just isn't the ideal format for something like that. YMMV.
    A clie image...this has brought a tear to my eye. Memories. We probably won't see this, Palm hardly took any chances, they kept it simple and conservative. I would love to see it though as I always loved the clamshell style. If they went with that, I hope they go with the UX design.
    Quote Originally Posted by deltatko1 View Post
    Waiting a full year will lose alot of the current Sprint Pre users, and the potential to grab people from expiring Iphone and Hero contracts as well. The name of the game in this day and age is you have to have a new phone every 12 months. 5 years ago you could wait cause the tech didn't evolve so fast, now, even 2 months goes by and you're already outdated.
    while this is true i do not think they are in the financial position to make a pre2 as of yet. Its still too early. Im sure they are working on it but to role it out this summer sounds ridiculous the are not going to have 3 different pres in one year.
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by LupeValenz View Post
    A clie image...this has brought a tear to my eye. Memories. We probably won't see this, Palm hardly took any chances, they kept it simple and conservative. I would love to see it though as I always loved the clamshell style. If they went with that, I hope they go with the UX design.
    The difference between the Clie and a "regular" clamshell device was that it was more of a hybrid. I know you probably know, but those that never had or saw one, the device could be used as calmshell, where you typed on it while the screen was open (and yes, you could do it one handed); or you could literally rotate the screen, and fold it, so it could be a smaller device that was "screen only".

Almost as important to me was the case itself. That thing was rock solid. It put the Treo's of the day, and even those introduced later, to shame.
    while this is true i do not think they are in the financial position to make a pre2 as of yet. Its still too early. Im sure they are working on it but to role it out this summer sounds ridiculous the are not going to have 3 different pres in one year.
    Obviously you haven't heard you have to spend money to make money.
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    The next Pre will be renamed The Palm Pöst.

i suspect pre2 will have
    Tegra2 or ti omap 4
    more than 512mb ram
    4g/3g/2g
    wifi n,b,g
    fm tuner

webos 2.0
    wifi tethering
    that would be the ****! i'd gladly wait with what i have now until spring/summer 2011 if i knew that was coming. or, something better
    Quote Originally Posted by deltatko1 View Post
    Obviously you haven't heard you have to spend money to make money.
    You cant spend money if you dont have it. Why would they make another model when its still on one carrier. Dont get me wrong i want a pre2. Its just too unrealistic.

there is talk about the pre plus having a different processor. people have mentioned increased ram and clock speed.

It could either be that this new batch of omap3430 can now be pushed to 600mhz. Or they are using omap36xx wich is clocked at 750mhz or 1ghz. both could be a possibility. My reason for mentioning this is that maybe palm considered this to be a justifiable upgrade for now and therefore hold back on the pre2
    Bigger screen: every time I pick up an iPhone or a Droid or whatever, I am instantly jealous of the larger screen. But then I use the device and realize that with the Pre I can EASILY browse one handed. With the iPhone (or worse yet, the Droid), for one handed browsing I have to kind of shuffle my hand back and forth to reach either the top or the bottom of the screen. It's something that is really subtle, but in the end it makes my browsing much more satisfying than with a larger screen. So personally I don't want a larger screen. Maybe I'd be down for a slightly wider screen, but only slightly. I'm perfectly content with the height of the screen. My two cents.
    Hmmm. The "Tree". Even rhymes with Pre. Nothing better than the Palm Tree.
    OMAP4440 would be great in a future device, but I doubt that'll be in mass production until the end of the year with devices coming next year.

I'd love a Pre++ in June or maybe a little later on Sprint with Tethering, OMAP3640 (don't see them bothering with Snapdragon because it'd be another new chipset to support, the 36xx is very similar to the 3430 they use now), a compass, 32GB of storage, more RAM than the Pre, and most importantly, a battery that is 1.5 to 2 times the size of the Pre's current one (who cares if it makes the phone a little bigger).

I could see them realistically doing some of these things around June, maybe a little later.

Most of the other stuff in here is just wishful thinking.
    Quote Originally Posted by statelypenguin View Post
    Bigger screen: every time I pick up an iPhone or a Droid or whatever, I am instantly jealous of the larger screen. But then I use the device and realize that with the Pre I can EASILY browse one handed. With the iPhone (or worse yet, the Droid), for one handed browsing I have to kind of shuffle my hand back and forth to reach either the top or the bottom of the screen. It's something that is really subtle, but in the end it makes my browsing much more satisfying than with a larger screen. So personally I don't want a larger screen. ...
    This!

I find one-handed operation on the Pre to be so much easier than it was on the iPhone, because they've implemented the touch screen/gesture area combination in a very intelligent manner. I don't want to see any increase in screen size or shift to a different configuration (e.g., landscape slider) that could hinder the excellent one-hand-usability of the Pre.
    jus give me 3.6 inch screen with a 1800 mah battery and I'm good.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast