1.    #1  
    I'm a Bell Pre user who is going on vacation to a nice warm jamaican reseort.

I highly doubt that the pre will work on that Countries carrier, which is no big deal, but since the resort has FREE WI-FI, does anyone know if that will work, even though the phone is not connected to a physical carrier? I was hoping to use the Pre's built in internet for email, and such?

This would be a real bonus since calling home from land lines is soooo expensive.
    Wi-Fi in Jamaica will work just fine unless they have been developing a special Jamaica only Wi-Fi protocol powered by rum. Last I checked this wasn't the case.

That said your not going to be placing phone calls over that Wi-Fi (no apps yet) unless your tethering back to a PC and the PC has some VoIP software on it.

Jamaica does have CDMA service.
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 01/08/2010 at 09:56 AM.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Wi-Fi in Jamaica will work just fine unless they have been developing a special Jamaica only Wi-Fi protocol powered by rum. Last I checked this wasn't the case.
    Well, if they DO have a WiFi service powerd by rum, I'm going to BUY it, no questions asked! "Why, yes .. I'll have another 8 ounces of WiFi, please".

Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post

That said your not going to be placing phone calls over that Wi-Fi (no apps yet) unless your tethering back to a PC and the PC has some VoIP software on it.

Jamaica does have CDMA service.
    GSM prevails over there.
  5.    #5  
    Thats great. Thanks folks. Mmmmm, Rum Networks.

At least I can email from the Pre, and thats exactly what I was hoping. Take realtime pics and send them wirelessly back to the suffering Canuks.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    GSM prevails over there.
    That may be. However there are a few CDMA providers in Jamaica. I know that TELUS has a roaming agreement with one of them so it's likely that BELL does as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by centra View Post
    Thats great. Thanks folks. Mmmmm, Rum Networks.

At least I can email from the Pre, and thats exactly what I was hoping. Take realtime pics and send them wirelessly back to the suffering Canuks.
    No problem.