1.    #1  
    I get that EA is going to sell more games on the iphone vs pre based on user base and the time they have been on that platform, but I find it kind of ****ty that their first venture into webOS has need for speed underground at twice the price for the same title on the iphone.

360 and ps3 games are generally priced the same, and games at walmart vs best buy are typically the same. granted this isn't exactly apples to apples but i was hoping to see a similar pricing strategy.

any thoughts?
    These games are priced at 20% to 30% of the console or PC game prices. You think that's too high? For $10 you can't get a very good console or pc game.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    These games are priced at 20% to 30% of the console or PC game prices. You think that's too high? For $10 you can't get a very good console or pc game.
    I didn't bring up any type of pricing in comparison to console games. I'm simply comparing it to another mobile platform's version, the iphone's versions. I simply think that they should have a similar pricing strategy across all mobile platforms and just because webOS is late to the game in getting 3d apps, i don't think the users should have to pony over twice the amount that iphone users have to pay.
    I'll have to check my itouch when I get home, but I think NFS is $9.99 on the Iphone as well, or at least it was.
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    It's all about supply and demand, how many games does webos have out there compared to iPhone/iTouch? It's funny the same golf game that sells for like $7 on Pre is free on iPhone/iTouch. But since we never had it on the Pre it appears new and exciting.
    Yeah once there is a ton of 3d games prices will come down. The developers now don't have anything to compete with and know people will buy them no matter how much they charge. They got me yesterday I spent over $40 on webos games and today I feel kind of stupid for it.

Follow Me On Twitter
    http://twitter.com/Joescan
    $10 you can't get a very good console or pc game.
    Obviously you've never been on Steam, or have ever looked for bargains. Hell, I picked up GTA4, SA and VC not too long ago for a total of 4.99, new.

But saying that, as I'm Canadian, I haven't been able to try the new games (damn you Bell!), so I can't really comment on the true value of the games. Is that $10 going to give you a couple hours followed by you getting bored by it? Or is it going to cause you to log over 10 hours over the next month? This is where, of course, the question whether or not it's priced well enough for it's value.
    They can sell cheaper than iphone because they have such a large user base. Here we are not so big and thus can't get such a discount.
    Just like a PC or console game, the price will come down as demand for the game begins to wane. I played NFS for about 2 hours last night. Great game and worth the $10. EA, Palm and everyone else just knows that most of us (who enjoy games) will drop the coin for an entertaining title. Sure, I wish they were cheaper, but I also remember paying 3x as much for a PSP game. So if you compare to another mobile platform besides iPhone, you're getting a great deal.
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    I don't understand the price difference either....I mean yeah there's a larger user base on the iphone but what does that matter....why should the price be any different? the bulk of the coding for the iphone version is already done and it's just a matter of porting the code over to the webOS version. so yeah that's like comparing a 360 game to a PS3 game...all it is to EA is selling another copy of the game wether it be iphone or webOS....prices should be comparable.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by tjdalton View Post
    I don't understand the price difference either....I mean yeah there's a larger user base on the iphone but what does that matter....why should the price be any different? the bulk of the coding for the iphone version is already done and it's just a matter of porting the code over to the webOS version. so yeah that's like comparing a 360 game to a PS3 game...all it is to EA is selling another copy of the game wether it be iphone or webOS....prices should be comparable.
    same thought.
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    If you don't purchase their apps then they will realize they need to drop the price.
    MyFlashlight - The Original Palm Pre Flashlight Application
    fileCoaster - The Original On Pre Application Installer

Donations are greatly appreciated and can be donated HERE!. Again thank you ALL for your continued support!

Follow us on Twitter @vertigoapps
    If you don't purchase their apps, they will question whether its worth developing apps for the Pre since all the people are cheapies. I dont agree with paying $9.99 for NFS vs $4.99 on the Iphone but I dont mind having a slight increase like $6.99 on the Pre to pay for the migration costs. The more Pre apps and buyers the more prices will get driven down.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjdalton View Post
    Porting code over from the iPhone to WebOS is not the trivial exercise you imagine it to be. EA will have had to rewrite parts of the UI and the all the testing they did on the original app will need to be repeated.

The WebOS installed base and games catalog are tiny compared to the iPhones so you should expect to pay more for EA titles. If you want to pay iPhone prices, buy an iPhone.
    I'm assuming that those of you complaining about prices didn't come to webOS from PalmOS because it was quite common to pay >$9.99 for an app. With the likes of Agendus, PDANet, LightWav, maybe my recall is failing me but I just don't remember all this bellyaching back then.
    We have enough youth, how about a fountain of smart?
    Quote Originally Posted by Godstyle View Post
    I'm assuming that those of you complaining about prices didn't come to webOS from PalmOS because it was quite common to pay >$9.99 for an app. With the likes of Agendus, PDANet, LightWav, maybe my recall is failing me but I just don't remember all this bellyaching back then.
    Something happened between Palm OS apps and webOS apps though. A revolution in that space so to speak. A little thing called the iphone app store.

Most of these complainers now probably had no clue about apps existing before the iphone.
    Why does Wal-mart sell same items as best buy but at a cheaper price? They sell to more people. Thats pretty much what this is.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    If you know anything about the gaming scene EA is the end all be all **** company. NFS the pc version is 9.99 funny the lite mobile version is also 9.99..

The next round of 3d games will not be 9.99 or you can kiss the 3d gaming farewell on webos. They start hitting the .99 to 5.99 we can talk but 9.99 is a joke. Especially with flash coming who's gonna buy a 9.99 game when they can get something close to that from punching in a web link.
    I think it's just a flagship program for EA, if they earn alot of money then they will continue to produce for WebOS and probably have comparable prices for the iPhone. The big thing is they had to return to a game and spend the money to port it to a device with a much smaller user-base.

I'm sure if 60% of webos users buy it they will consider it a raging success and produce more games at a cheaper price.