Global Posts
    415 Global Posts
    So the Pre Plus will be upgraded to 512 MB of RAM (it has been confirmed, so don't start arguing this point). That would explain why they were able to multi-task so well during the event; I downloaded NFS and as soon as I started it I got the "Too many cards" error .

At first, I thought "Oh crap - sloppy devs will probably say that their app can only run on the Pre Plus." But then I realized that the Pre Plus is only going to be on one of the 8 (?) carriers worldwide and that it would be dumb to code for the extra RAM.

Anyway, the original iPhone only had 128 MB of RAM. So did the 3G. The 3GS got upgraded to 256, which is where we sit now with our original Pres. Seeing as the iPhone games can pretty much be ported right over, I'm looking to the iPhone for an example of how it can affect app availability. Are there any apps for the iPhone 3GS that specifically won't run on the older iPhones? ...And I'm asking about everything OTHER than the obvious compass-enabled apps.
    Last edited by etnpnys; 01/08/2010 at 09:48 AM.
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    I believe, not 100% on this, that the 3gs has better graphics power than the 3g and original so there are some games, like NFS, that don't work on the older models. But I don't think there are any that don't work due to the ram difference.
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    sometimes after installing the new games you need to restart ur phone. I got that error too after downloading and running golf.
    Yes restart your phone after huge game downloads. Last night I was able to run need for speed, messaging, let's golf, engadget, the weather channel, browser, thats six apps and two being huge 3d games before I got two many cards error. I'm happy with that I never have more than 3 cards open anyways at a time. I would love the more ram but I think we will survive with are current devices.

Follow Me On Twitter
    http://twitter.com/Joescan
    you have to remember 3GS works fine with 256mb for gaming because it's OS UI doesn't take up much memory at all compared to the color rich beautiful webOS. Plus 3GS is not multitasking like we are with cards, so when they play a game that's all they're doing.
    Once done all ram goes to whatever else they are doing.

These are 3D games of course you won't be able go multitask as well as when you are just using a browser, small time app, messaging, etc.
    Global Posts
    415 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by draztikrhymez View Post
    you have to remember 3GS works fine with 256mb for gaming because it's OS UI doesn't take up much memory at all compared to the color rich beautiful webOS. Plus 3GS is not multitasking like we are with cards, so when they play a game that's all they're doing.
    Once done all ram goes to whatever else they are doing.

These are 3D games of course you won't be able go multitask as well as when you are just using a browser, small time app, messaging, etc.
    Agreed on all fronts - but don't mistake the question. I didn't ask whether the Pre or the iPhone would run the same game better; I asked if there are games or other apps that only the iPhone 3GS will run with the 256MB of RAM.
    Quote Originally Posted by etnpnys View Post
    Are there any apps for the iPhone 3GS that specifically won't run on the older iPhones?
    Definitely. The iPhone 3GS has a much more powerful GPU than the oldest ones, and some graphically intensive games won't work (or dog slow) on older versions.

Example: the impressive Dungeon Hunter, from gameloft

A few quotes from AppStoreHQ - Latest iPhone Applications and Reviews from Blogs, Twitter, and YouTube. - AppStoreHQ
    Utterly unplayable. Thanks for only thinking of 3g s users on this release, the other iPhones can barely run it
    This game runs very slow. It just won't play on mine