Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    The thing I covet the most on the iphone and android phones is the Digital Compass. Their are many innovative apps centered around it.

Anyone know if it would even be possible for Palm to develop a replacement back cover (like touchstone cover) with a built in digital compass that would directly communicate with the oem Pre/Pixi hardware?

All these great new announcements latley, a compass would be like checkmate! Why wait till Pre2 we need it now.
    If possible, do it Palm. I and many others would buy one..
    Last edited by migs; 01/08/2010 at 12:42 PM.
    I don't think so at least not with the back cover, just wait for Pre2, that will probably be included in the hardware, eventhough I personally think even on the iphone its completely useless.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkotoric1 View Post
    I don't think so at least not with the back cover, just wait for Pre2, that will probably be included in the hardware, eventhough I personally think even on the iphone its completely useless.
    The compass is great with GPS so you know the direction you are facing without having to drive some.

Vital for geocaching

Also for street view and other digital overlays cyborg displays

It's not possible in the back cover because the input is not there. The only input the back cover has is power. Nice idea though.
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    Well their must be some kind of input because the Pre's hardware can tell the difference if being charged by touchstone or not and the orientation on the touchstone only when their is power
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dkotoric1 View Post
    Useless?

The augmented reality apps are amazing. Yelp overlays of businesses that are near you as you point your Pre down the street. Sky Maps that show constellations and planets at night when you point towards space. This is cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by migs View Post
    Well their must be some kind of input because the Pre's hardware can tell the difference if being charged by touchstone or not and the orientation on the touchstone only when their is power
    The Pre knows it is on the Touchstone when it is receiving power and there is no USB cable connected to the side port.

The Pre knows it's orientation on the Touchstone from the accelerometer in the phone.
    You have GPS what do you need a compass for? I realize it might have some limited use for geo caching but a regualr gps for that are readily available. This can't cure cancer. Is the devise less capaple as this app has not been developed yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by NoResults View Post
    You have GPS what do you need a compass for? I realize it might have some limited use for geo caching but a regualr gps for that are readily available. This can't cure cancer. Is the devise less capaple as this app has not been developed yet?
    If you ever navigate around the town / city by foot, a compass would be a huge help. At walking speeds, the GPS isn't always accurate enough to tell which direction you're going for a while.

Besides that, just being told "start out going left on Main St" instead of "start by going northeast on Main St" or whatever would be pretty useful as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    If you ever navigate around the town / city by foot, a compass would be a huge help. At walking speeds, the GPS isn't always accurate enough to tell which direction you're going for a while.

Besides that, just being told "start out going left on Main St" instead of "start by going northeast on Main St" or whatever would be pretty useful as well.
    This.

Once people stop thinking of the "useless" compass as a standalone app, and start thinking of it as an enhancement to existing navigation apps and features, they start to get it. As jhoff says above, it's very irritating to come out of a subway, fire up Google Maps, and have to spend 30 seconds figuring out what direction is what. On a phone with a compass, it orients the map for you.

Not to mention all the stuff that's already been mentioned, like Yelp agumented reality and Layar, that can't function without a built-in compass. It's a very, very useful addition to a smartphone, and it should be standard on the Pre2, IMO.