1.    #1  
    One word: iPhone.

What?!? Both the iPhone 3GS and the Palm pre share the very same Cortex A8 processor, running at (almost) the same speed.
    iPhone uses Objective-C, wich is very similar to C++.

What does that mean?
    It means that thanks to the new PDK, it should be a trivial task to port any of the thousand iPhone applications over to the Pre in a matter of weeks.

But that's not all. Both of them also feature a PowerVR SGX GPU. Even though the iPhone one has almost twice the power ( SGX535 -> 28 MPolys/s vs SGX530 -> 14 MPolys/s ), the architecture is the same.
    That is the secret to how EA and the others ported their games in a blink of an eye (kinda).

Plus, compiled C is the fastest thing you can get. I mean, just look how fast those games load. Compare that to the simplest JSJSJS $app$ $you$ $can$ $get$.

Finally, guess who's using exactly the same combo? The great moto droid. Did I mention Java and C++ are also quite similar?

I believe going the TIOMAP way is a far better choice than Snapdragon right now.

EDIT: Don't forget also that the iPhone 3GS and the Palm pre have exactly the same resolution... 3d games, here we are!
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Care to spell out a conversion process of just such a port in layman's terms?

Would an automated conversion program be feasible?

You also forgot to mention that the screen resolution of the Pre(+) and the iPhone are similar, not that that scalability presents a problem with WebOS. (although some would look strange on the Pixi.) Although with the Apple iTablet or whatever rumoured to be coming up, I'm sure the ability to adapt to new screen resolutions must be built in or upcoming in iPhone development, right?
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Does this mean Apple and Palm have to use similar CPU's and GPU's in the future for comparability purposes?

SDK/Ares apps are compatible, but C++ stuff has to be partly rewritten (like for the Pixi)?
    The underlying graphics chips shouldnt be an issue as long as your API that calls them is identical for both the Pre and Pixi. I think that the only reason that they didnt announce the Pixi version was that they are still testing the API layers for the Pixi's CPU/GPU. I think we will know more over the next 3 weeks while they finalize 1.4
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Goyena View Post
    Would an automated conversion program be feasible?
    Of course not. But Objective-C is lot closer to C++ than say, Javascript

Have a look here if you're interested in Objective C vs C++: C and Objective C Compared

Quote Originally Posted by Goyena View Post
    not that that scalability presents a problem with WebOS. (although some would look strange on the Pixi.) I'm sure the ability to adapt to new screen resolutions must be built in or upcoming in iPhone development, right?
    Unfortunately, this isn't true. Scalability is done on the Palm pre thanks to HTML / CSS. This doesn't apply to OpenGL ES games, which follow the same concept as classic OpenGL PC games.
    Last edited by Sethiathome; 01/08/2010 at 10:00 AM.