1.    #1  
    so this is something that I spent 1.5 hours on the phone with Palm today just to have them tell me that I was correct in assuming the change in the downloading method of the WebOS Doctor, and there was no way to save a copy locally for latter use - I was transferred to someone who transferred me to a level 3 support guy and he explained it to me

it goes like this

you dont download a .jar file anymore you download a .jnlp file (Java Network Launching Protocol) and it in turn downloads the .jar file for you and runs it in place from a temp directory that is locked or hidden and cant be extracted for use latter

no problem you say, but if you reboot your computer the .jnlp file now has to re-download the webos doctor again the whole 223MB of it or whatever it is - this becomes a problem when you want to download the webos doctor and run it latter on another computer or at another time when you dont happen to have internet access (or really slow internet its a huge file for dial up/satellite) or after a reboot

the reason for this according to Palm (just what they told me on the phone, nothing official) is that they want you to get the most up to date version of webos doctor when you run the program and he hinted at the fact that people are removing the webos doctor and installing it in 3rd party software (I guess he was talking about Webos Quick Install or Preware Installer or some other that has the webos doctor in it) as a option in the menu but this cant be confirmed to be an up to date version so it shouldnt be used

I would like some help so that I can maybe extract or copy the .jar file that the .jnlp file downloads to use it offline - I have a brother in Hawaii and he dont have internet access so I would like to send him it on a disc but cant figure it out
    Can't help with the extraction, but you can find most of the Doctors here.

Webos Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals
  3.    #4  
    well dont I look stupid - I looked for hours and found nothing about this - I tried to search for a webos doctor download and all I got was the normal one that I already had and links to places talking about it but nothing to download it directly

but upon seeing this page I instantly remembered it, strange how I never came across it in my searches I guess I got to get better at how I search
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    @leftkidney

no worries, I didn't know about it either! Thanks for asking so now I have it too!!!!
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Can't help with the extraction, but you can find most of the Doctors here.

Webos Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals
    Wen I download the 1.3.5 jar file and then load it into Doctor, I get the message that the jar file is version 1.3.1 and does not match my Palm 1.3.5
    Palm Pre OS 1.4.5 500/1000 MHz--Provider:Sprint
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwill View Post
    Wen I download the 1.3.5 jar file and then load it into Doctor, I get the message that the jar file is version 1.3.1 and does not match my Palm 1.3.5
    I used the Sprint 1.3.5 WebOSDoctor's WebOS.tar to update my GSM 1.3.1 Pre and now the Device Info shows WebOS 1.3.5.

At what point do you get the error message?
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    I used the Sprint 1.3.5 WebOSDoctor's WebOS.tar to update my GSM 1.3.1 Pre and now the Device Info shows WebOS 1.3.5.

At what point do you get the error message?
    When I point it to the Sprint 1.3.5 file and then it compares it to my Palm . Just as the WebOS Repair Utility begins to load..

This is the message:

Loading WebOSDoctor...
    WebOSDoctor found at C:\WebOS Quick Install\webosdoctorp100ewwsprint.jar
    Loading connected device's build info:
    Device: Sprint Palm Pre
    Version: 1.3.5.1
    Expected version: 1.3.1
    Version mismatch
    Last edited by bobwill; 01/09/2010 at 07:54 AM.
    Palm Pre OS 1.4.5 500/1000 MHz--Provider:Sprint
  8.    #9  
    when you run it does it say (Build Sprint.169.219 12/12/09 22:39) at the top