View Poll Results: Do you wish yo wouldve waited for the plus

Voters
644. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm crushed and regret getting the original now that it's been improved

114 17.70%
  • No, I am happy with my pre and my experience with I've had with it.

530 82.30%
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
    well...I have to say that I'm not too happy that Verizon customers will get a 16 gb phone with 512 mb of memory! Not cool...it's as if we, at Sprint, are not worth getting a better phone! It's like being in a shunned caste!
    Having said that...I really love my Pre, and I am hoping we get a newer, better Pre in the next year or so... My Pre is good enough for what I need it to do...and the 512 mb doesn't bother me THAT much...but I would've liked to have 16 gb instead..
    i've checked out the other phones and even had use of an iPhone for a little while...and, I have to say, webOS blows away all the competition!
    I mean...it's incredible how far we've come from day 1! I got one on day 31...and it's as if I have a totally different phone than what I bought. I read all my ebooks on it...I even have Quake on it to play...and as awesome as that game appears on the Pre...it ain't nothing compared to what will come when the GPU is used to it's fullest potential...
    plus...I'm playing video games...and I don't even LIKE Video games!! Heh heh...that tell's you how great this phone is if it can get me to enjoy myself
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    I don't regret it. To be truthful, I was in the market right around the release date of the Palm Pre. I needed a phone, a good one, then. I didn't have the luxury of waiting six more months for the possibility of it. And I knew, very well, that as an early adopter that's the price of being so. Think of it this way:

A. You won't be subject to the VZW ETF of $350 dollars.
    B. You helped PALM gain more cashflow to build more phones.
    It is heartening to see that the vast majority of posters are not wasting their emotional energy on a negative emotion such as jealously over the Verizon getting the Palm Pre Plus.

I personally think that the posters who are angrily whining about the new Pre and Pixi going to Verizon and demanding that Sprint/Palm upgrade the existing user base to equivalent specs for cheap or free are being irrational.

For example, when Intel releases a new CPU, do you demand that they upgrade your 3 year old slow *** Core 2 CPU to a brand new Core i7 CPU for free? Do you seriously think that Intel would even consider it?

Also, it's not like they can just swap out a card to upgrade the RAM and storage and retrofit current phones. They'd have to take the things apart and either solder in new chips or swap out the mainboard. Probably cheaper to just give you a new phone. Not bloody likely to happen. And even if they did, either Palm or Sprint would go belly up, leaving us with either no support for our devices and no new WebOS devices or forcing us to pay a significantly higher monthly fee for service.

And let's face it, even if you bought the Pre on launch day (like I did), it's not like you could get the upgrade price on a new phone at this point anyway. So, if Sprint got the Pre Plus as well, you STILL wouldn't be able to get it unless you were willing to pay full freight. And if can afford to spend $600 on a new phone, then you can afford to pay Sprint's termination fee and pay an extra $1000-2500 to Verizon over the next 24 months to get your RAM/Storage upgrade. In the meantime, the rest of us launch day Pre buyers will be able to buy the next iteration of the Pre at the subsidized price on June 6, 2010 assuming it has been released by then.

With the exception of the extra storage and carrier approved tethering, the Sprint Palm Pre and the Verizon Palm Pre Plus will have the same capabilities and be able to run the same programs. Is the extra 8GB of storage and a bit of extra RAM really worth all of the frustration? In my case, probably not. It's not as if Palm is abandoning us Sprint customers (as some have claimed). If they stopped pushing out WebOS updates to Sprint customers while continuing to update Verizon customers, then that accusation might be justified. However, we will all get WebOS 1.4 (and 1.5, 1.6, etc.) regardless of which carrier our service is with.

I for one am pleased that Palm is working on improving both the hardware and the software, and am looking forward to further WebOS updates and improved hardware releases down the road.

End of rant. Stepping off the soapbox now.
    Day one user . . . Absolutely no regrets ! Haven't looked at the homebrew options yet but I'm looking forward to it (just have to find the time . . . 1.3 year old + time consuming job).

N.B. Upon seeing the link to this discussion, I expected to read numerous regurgitations of discontent, rage, expletives directed toward verizon's purported end-run (Pre+) . . . what do I find? . . . . . . . Simply, content and optimistic Pre users. Is this phone really that satisfying? I think the stats above tell the story.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Of course, Sprint will get the plus phones, eventually. If not something else, even newer. This is how this works. Personally? Love my Pre and LOVE the fact that with absolutely ZERO effort or extra money on my behalf, this phone has gotten better since the day I bought it.

And for those that want to chime in saying "well, it needed to, because it sucked or lacked this or that"... why did you buy it when it didn't have this or that? :P
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Of course, Sprint will get the plus phones, eventually. If not something else, even newer. This is how this works. Personally? Love my Pre and LOVE the fact that with absolutely ZERO effort or extra money on my behalf, this phone has gotten better since the day I bought it.

And for those that want to chime in saying "well, it needed to, because it sucked or lacked this or that"... why did you buy it when it didn't have this or that? :P
    Had mine since the beginning, webdoc'd a few times, played with the multiple apps/patches which enhanced the experience. I feel like I know this phone better than any other I have owned. I am truly happy with my Pre. Regardless of the haters or trolls out there, I am proud to say without hesitation that I was one of the first to use WebOS and it Kicks *****!

NO REGRETS!
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    no regrets.. sprint plans are way better if you live in a sprint covered area, which i do... i predict that the next webos phone offered to sprint will be a 3g/4g pre or new device altogether... if sprint can keep spreading their 4g coverage throughout 2010 i see this being quite possible.
    I purchased on day one and have no regrets, still have the same phone, no problems. I would do it again.

When the Pre2 comes out on Sprint I will also be a day one buyer and give this pre to my husband. (I get all the cool phones, he gets all the hand-me-downs).
    I'm a little disappointed, but understand that's how it goes..

Love to see a 4G Pre II from Sprint as I live outside Philadelphia.

add a compass for S&G's...

A WebOS Palm with no keyboard for the people (like me) who like virtual keyboards (i have an ipod touch)

3.7 inch screen

up cpu/vpu

Love Sprint, no complaints with Palm.. Would love a few more models..
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    I'm a Pre owner from about day 15 (missed out on the first day launch and had to get on the waiting list at Sprint) and I don't regret the phone at all. As many have said, it's the nature of technology that something newer and better will come along within a year. I'm definitely looking forward to Verizon getting the phone as more people will have the WebOS s/w which will mean more apps for all of us.

Probably the biggest complaint I've had was about those creepy, lame commercials that Palm put out with the albino woman. I think that kept away a lot of potential customers.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    I really could use more memory. But, I will wait, verizon dosnt have the packages to suit my needs. Sprint has been a solid service in my area with the appropriate plan for Data usage. Sprint has unlimited data with 450 min for $69. Why do you need more minutes, who makes phone calls anymore. Verision plan is $99 for 450 min with data.
    $30 a month for more memory. not worth it!
    Quote Originally Posted by techiechick View Post
    That's what I use the button for! How do you do that with no button?
    It's a "virtual button", just like on the Pixi. You press the gesture area over the LED, and it acts just as if you pressed the hardware button on the Pre.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CannonFodder View Post
    It is heartening to see that the vast majority of posters are not wasting their emotional energy on a negative emotion such as jealously over the Verizon getting the Palm Pre Plus.

I personally think that the posters who are angrily whining about the new Pre and Pixi going to Verizon and demanding that Sprint/Palm upgrade the existing user base to equivalent specs for cheap or free are being irrational.

For example, when Intel releases a new CPU, do you demand that they upgrade your 3 year old slow *** Core 2 CPU to a brand new Core i7 CPU for free? Do you seriously think that Intel would even consider it?

Also, it's not like they can just swap out a card to upgrade the RAM and storage and retrofit current phones. They'd have to take the things apart and either solder in new chips or swap out the mainboard. Probably cheaper to just give you a new phone. Not bloody likely to happen. And even if they did, either Palm or Sprint would go belly up, leaving us with either no support for our devices and no new WebOS devices or forcing us to pay a significantly higher monthly fee for service.

And let's face it, even if you bought the Pre on launch day (like I did), it's not like you could get the upgrade price on a new phone at this point anyway. So, if Sprint got the Pre Plus as well, you STILL wouldn't be able to get it unless you were willing to pay full freight. And if can afford to spend $600 on a new phone, then you can afford to pay Sprint's termination fee and pay an extra $1000-2500 to Verizon over the next 24 months to get your RAM/Storage upgrade. In the meantime, the rest of us launch day Pre buyers will be able to buy the next iteration of the Pre at the subsidized price on June 6, 2010 assuming it has been released by then.

With the exception of the extra storage and carrier approved tethering, the Sprint Palm Pre and the Verizon Palm Pre Plus will have the same capabilities and be able to run the same programs. Is the extra 8GB of storage and a bit of extra RAM really worth all of the frustration? In my case, probably not. It's not as if Palm is abandoning us Sprint customers (as some have claimed). If they stopped pushing out WebOS updates to Sprint customers while continuing to update Verizon customers, then that accusation might be justified. However, we will all get WebOS 1.4 (and 1.5, 1.6, etc.) regardless of which carrier our service is with.

I for one am pleased that Palm is working on improving both the hardware and the software, and am looking forward to further WebOS updates and improved hardware releases down the road.

End of rant. Stepping off the soapbox now.
    I love my pre, and I love Sprint, have been a loyal sprint customer for 12 or so years( I am only 30btw). I however just bought my phone 15 day ago. I am hoping for at least a price drop within the next 15 so I can get an price adjustment. If I knew that sprint was getting the pre plus in a month or two I would however return it and continue using my old phone until then.

It worries me that sprint isn't getting/or announced an upgraded pre yet. If I was one of those on the fence buyers who need a phone now I would definitely not buy a pre because of the pre plus. Therefore I see a large decline in the sales of the pre and pixi in the near future from sprint. I just hope that sprint doesn't abandon the future pre/pixi/webos phones because of it.
    Sprint is apparently getting the PALM C40 whatever the hell that is. If it's another "Sprint exclusive device" by Palm...people will rejoice and be happy but then be ****ed when Verizon gets the C40+ and the cycle starts over again. Be happy with having a great phone - if you don't enjoy it for what it is, you will never win the "chase for the best specs" race. Some device will always be a step "better" than yours in the rate that technology is evolving. One thing I DO agree with though is how crappy it is to be locked into multi-year contracts with the carriers. It would be nice if all phones were some sort of standardized hardware like dual band (both CDMA and GSM) and we can take devices to any carrier we want without ETFs.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    i got mine on the first day and i think its been fun being part of the growth process, even if waiting might have gotten me some better storage. and personally, i like my navigation button haha
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    I have no regrets, although I'm still ticked that there isn't voice dialing in this next update.

The only thing that I do think is kinda crappy is that the new ones will ship with Touchstone ready backs right out of the box. The better memory/storage doesn't bug me so much, because that stuff is always evolving and you expect that as a technology geek....but I think it's pretty sh*tty that so many people have had to pay extra for an 'accessory' that is now being given away with the phone.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    I love my phone. I regret that Verizon gets exclusivity over the upgrade version of my phone, and yes... I feel envy... but dont regret getting the phone I have right now one bit.
    I know this may sounds terribly petty, but I hope the future sprint models keep the Orange buttons, I am not fond of the white/gray combo the Verizon Plus has.

As for my Pre, I love it, and do wish I had at least an MicroSD slot, but oh well, it's still a great Device!
    Last edited by yaroze; 01/11/2010 at 11:53 AM.
  20.    #180  
    Quote Originally Posted by NoDramaMama View Post
    I have no regrets, although I'm still ticked that there isn't voice dialing in this next update.

The only thing that I do think is kinda crappy is that the new ones will ship with Touchstone ready backs right out of the box. The better memory/storage doesn't bug me so much, because that stuff is always evolving and you expect that as a technology geek....but I think it's pretty sh*tty that so many people have had to pay extra for an 'accessory' that is now being given away with the phone.
    I agree 100%. That is the only thing I feel we got a bit screwed on.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast