View Poll Results: Do you wish yo wouldve waited for the plus

Voters
644. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm crushed and regret getting the original now that it's been improved

114 17.70%
  • No, I am happy with my pre and my experience with I've had with it.

530 82.30%
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    I'm a "day one buyer" and I have to say I'm pretty disappointed here.

It would be one thing if the Pre Plus was being released 7 months after the Pre's release.
    It's another thing that the Pre Plus is released on a completely different network, with the feel that it may never come to Sprint, 7 months after release of the Pre.

I want Palm to succeed over Apple and Android, honestly, because I like the WebOS format better.
    However, I would appreciate not getting screwed over in the process.

The way it's presented, it almost seems like Palm is "leaving Sprint[therefore Sprint customers] behind".
    Next we will hear that the original Pre "doesn't have enough RAM" to get version 1.4..
    it's tough to dancing around multiple networks, but since most Pre users on sprint will be eligible for a low cost upgrade in June, I expect palm to come up with Pre 2 in June.

Pre is very capable hardware wise, it's unwise to rush out new products without letting it's full potential shine for 1m+ pre owners.
    Last edited by clevin; 01/09/2010 at 10:05 AM.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Had mine since launch day and was intentionally leaving Verizon just for this phone. Better phones are always going to come out. WebOS is what I was/am excited about, and I think a lot of people tend to not differentiate between the hardware and the software.

I think WebOS is what we all came to Palm for in the end and what we should be focused on and support, not the hardware it runs on or the carrier. The hardware is always going to do down in price / become obsolete.

No way I would trade the last 6 months with this awesome platform.

WebOS!
    The RAM and the 8GB are the concerns, I don't care about the center button.

Really the bigger concern is Palm leaving Sprint and more importantly the original Pre customers behind.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by saying Sprint is too small... I don't think their customer base is really any less than any of the other carriers..
    Verizon has nearly 90 million customers. AT&T has a bit over 80 million. Sprint has less than 50 million.
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    The way I look at it, I dont have any reasons to feel regret. When I got my Pre in June I already new that most likely there will be a new phone with of course more memory and other goodies most likey the following year. That its exclusive to Verizon mean nothing people.. So the Plus is exclusive. That means the plus. That doesnt mean that Sprint wont get the plus.. It just means that the upgraded version for Sprint isnt going to be called the plus.. We dont even know even know the length of the exclusivity for all it can be 6 months.. And whats 6 months from now??? 1 year from the Pre's release on Sprint. And Im willing to be that Palm is saving that goody for that event thats going down in March (I forgot the name of it). And by that time. Early adopters can just simply renew their contracts.. Cause Im sure that if you had the Pre when it drop then you got the plan that was required for it.. Buy June you should be a Sprint Preimer customer (like I am) which lets you upgrade every 12 months as to waiting the 23 months for non preimer customers. Think about it why would Palm let the public know now that theres also going to be one on Sprint at this moment. That would only make possible Verizon customers who are close to the end of their contract, who are looking for the Pre and if they know they can get it with another carrier with a much cheaper rate plan. Might as well wait and get a new contract with Sprint. Those customers wont be under the impression "Oh this model is only going to be on Verizon, let me rush out and get it". And at the same time. No one on Sprint who has a Pre is eligible to get a new phone right now at a discounted price b/c its hasnt been a year yet. Those who havent gotten a Pre who are on Sprint and that are eligible can either go to Verizon and get the Plus (still good for Palm) or if your a smart consumer wait for the year to past and see what updated model is avail for Sprint. Either or its a good move by Palm..
    Quote Originally Posted by davis.rob View Post
    FWIW, phone manufacturers almost always have to give the cell companies something "different" on the models that they carry. I think Palm absolutely *had* to get on Verizon for their survival ... Sprint is a fine company for me, but too small to carry Palm alone. So if they had to give Verizon a Plus model in order to get the business, I think that's actually a good thing for Palm users in general. I'm not going to cry about an extra 8gb and no center button.
    i agree with you im happy that palm is getting out there by the end of the year they are gonna be on the top three providers in america im glad to see this if business is good overall we can see more to come i like sprints plans and eas of their network and being a student paying for college verizon most likly will charge 30- 40 bucks more then my 70 $ a month plan at sprint and still wont have the same stuff for the money like i said im happy with sprint a lil hurt i cant get a pre plus but none the less if palm does well we will see more and more users with web os and that means they can make more devices and inovations im sure they are releaseing the pre plus on verizon so they can get there name out more they wouldnt leave us in the dark at sprint for ever and some time this year we will see upgraded models and then we can pounce im sure the exclusivness at verizon cant last for ever. but ill be upset if at&t is gonna get something like the plus and sprint still with the origianls.
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post
    Verizon has nearly 90 million customers. AT&T has a bit over 80 million. Sprint has less than 50 million.
    Proof of that? Cause I was under the impression that the big 4 were all pretty close to even.
    Proof of that? Cause I was under the impression that the big 4 were all pretty close to even.
    Proof? How about Google it? This is all pretty widely available info.
    check wikipedia.

VZ and ATT are indeed almost twice as large as sprint. TMobile is very small. About 30m?
    Quote Originally Posted by davis.rob View Post
    FWIW, phone manufacturers almost always have to give the cell companies something "different" on the models that they carry. I think Palm absolutely *had* to get on Verizon for their survival ... Sprint is a fine company for me, but too small to carry Palm alone. So if they had to give Verizon a Plus model in order to get the business, I think that's actually a good thing for Palm users in general. I'm not going to cry about an extra 8gb and no center button.
    Nah, Verizon is just really particular about phones on their network. They've always been that way. Sprint is way more laid back about that stuff, but Verizon takes a look at any new phone, then always tells the manufacturer that they have to double up on their basic specs for Verizon to consider it. Not to mention, Verizon LOVES tethering. They used to call me and ask if I "knew about tethering". The reason for that was because I had a 2 GB data plan with my old Treo and Centro, and they desperately wanted me to have to pay overage. When people are running bittorrent on their laptops while connected to their phones, Verizon's bean-counters probably pour themselves some champagne. There's quality standards and "throttle-ability" as well. Verizon isn't run by stupid people like AT&T, they pay a lot for their network and they don't want to risk clogging it up with a bunch of data intensive phone users they can't control.
    No regrets what so ever! Luv my launch day Pre! Plus, if I had not gotten my Pre, that would have meant that I would have still been stuck with Verizon and my piece of cr#p BB Storm for 14 months!
    You should follow the carrier wars more closely.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/pages/grading-top-10-u-s-carriers-third-quarter-2009

And I wouldn't worry about Sprint customers being "left behind" by Palm. Not only would that be a monumentally stupid (and needlessly petty) business move by Palm, but it would also defy years of precedent. Sprint and Palm have been very very cozy for years. That's part of the reason the Pre launched on Sprint to begin with. I'm with everyone else - we'll get a "Pre 2" this coming summer, and it'll be on Sprint first.
    No regrets at all with my two original ( one for the wife) launch day Pre's. I researched and read everything about the Pre so I new what I was getting. The only thing I new I would miss was VisualVoice mail, and now I have it. Thank You Syntactix LLC for all the work your doing with this. Besides, you can't beat the price Sprint offers.
    i do wish i had 512 and 16gb...but i have been very happy with sprint. 69.99 a month, unlimited everything and free calls mobile to mobile (i might use 50 of my actual minutes)...that and sprint hooked me up with a free airrave. cant beat 5 bars in the whole house!

GO SPRINT!
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by morrison0880 View Post
    I for one do not at all. I've had the pre from day one, have gone through the growing pains, the growth of Homebrew, the excitement that came with every update, the thrill of discovering a new patch...They get the pre plus 6 months later, and although they reveive a better phone, plus users on Version will never get to experience all of that. I wouldn't trade fun/madness/excitement for 16 GB of storage. That 512 MB of memory though... If that's true, I have to say I will be a bit jealous of the plus users getting to play with that. But no regrets. None.
    I agree with you 100%. No regrets whatsoever. One difference, I was stuck with a Samsung Instinct until July 1st. Believe me, June was a very, very rough month for me while I waited until I could upgrade.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    I love the phone...However one major complaint and maybe a couple minor ones. Needs a MicroSD card spot. Also needs Audible support. Not backdoor or have to pay for classic app to get it to work. And also needs it's own software to sync up everything (contacts, music, e-mail, videos, everything) to Windows. That may clasify as another Major one. But other then that the phone is awsome. When a better version comes out I may stick with Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by zullnero View Post
    You get your phone before anyone else, and what you get to say, when it becomes popular, are things like "I got that phone way before you did", "I was punching in the Konami code manually into search before they even released an app to do that for you", and everyone's favorite, "Frikkin newbs".

That aside, I got mine early because I knew that as a mobile developer, if I didn't, I would never get around to learning to program the platform early enough to have a shot at a job doing apps for it. I have no problems with my July edition Pre, and since Palm is nice enough to keep pushing updates to me, I have no reason to complain. I don't need a Pre Plus to do development for the platform, and that's a great thing for my pocketbook.
    I'm still typing in that message. It's so fun. Reminds me of the good ol' days.
    I'm a Pre owner from day one, and I'm not disappointed. Palm needs Verizon and AT&T and everyone if it wants to survive.

And for those who are dissapointed, welcome to the wonderful world of technology. The second you buy your computer, a new faster model is already making its way to store shelves. What you're feeling is the same thing G1 owners feel now about the N1, or first gen iPhone users feel about everything.

And trust me. Lets say you're one of the lucky Verizon owners who buys a Pre Plus. Next year, Palm could release something even greater at CES. As a matter of fact, they HAVE to if they want to survive. So get used to it.

Sit back and enjoy the envy until it's just too much and you get a new phone.
  18.    #58  
    The RAM and the 8GB are the concerns, I don't care about the center button.

Really the bigger concern is Palm leaving Sprint and more importantly the original Pre customers behind.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by saying Sprint is too small... I don't think their customer base is really any less than any of the other carriers..
    I think what it comes down to is this. As of right now, would you upgrade to the Pre Plus if it were immediately available on Sprint as well as Verizon? If so, then I might be able to see your point of view, although I would still disagree. However, as a launch day owner, the earliest I can get a full upgrade is June. I would think that Palm will have a new device in the works then to capitalize on the Sprint users who want to re-up. If that's not the case, I will be more than a little disappointed that I can't upgrade to at least the Plus, much less a Pre2 type device.
    BTW, I think it bodes very well for Palm that they were able to create and sell the Pre Plus, regardless of what network it's on. The fact that they can offer an upgraded device stems from their success in their initial release. If the first Pre did not sell, there is no way they would be able to present an upgraded version at all. Success breeds success, and their early success has allowed them to up their game and deliver an even stronger device. Now just give me the Pre2 on Sprint in June!
  19.    #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by strudel View Post
    I agree with you 100%. No regrets whatsoever. One difference, I was stuck with a Samsung Instinct until July 1st. Believe me, June was a very, very rough month for me while I waited until I could upgrade.
    I hear ya. My contract was up in March, and I was determined to wait it out and get the Pre in June. You want to talk about a never ending Spring!
    I love the Pre. Thrilled to have been able to get it 6 months ago. I love the Sprint network and customer service.
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast