View Poll Results: Do you wish yo wouldve waited for the plus

Voters
644. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm crushed and regret getting the original now that it's been improved

114 17.70%
  • No, I am happy with my pre and my experience with I've had with it.

530 82.30%
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by complex pants View Post
    can i get a booyah!?
    ft-mf-w!!!!
    no regrets here. I think the device is a fair value. I'm still on my first one but I have doubts as to how much longer it will last as the slider is really starting to loosen up. I wish this weren't the case 6 months in but what can you do?
    dont have any regrets. im sticking with sprint either way, and since they're not getting the pre plus there's not much to be jealous of verizon users. the only thing that still makes me irk is the touch response. it is very laggy, to the point of frustration. the iphone is so smooth and its the only reason i dont bust out my pre and show it off to iphone users, because its hard to show it off when the phone sometimes doesnt work properly. but overall im very happy thanks to homebrew.
    I dont think I would be happy if there wasnt homebrew community. The tweaks and plugins made the phone so much better and it made me miss the hacks more every time there's a big update and i needed to remove patches.
    Don't regret my Pre either, mostly because I'd stick with sprint anyway, but I have a feeling that Pixi users don't feel as fondly toward their devices. I didn't expect it'd have such less functionality than the Pre, nor did I expect such a better version of it so shortly after its release. Looking at the Pixi forum confirms this.

It makes me happy I got the Pre as early as I did, because I might have gone for the Pixi if I was deciding between the two on Sprint.
    Global Posts
    177 Global Posts
    No regrets. Yeah I'm still cranky about the crappy (although faster) calendar app and missing tons of the things I could do on my 4-yr old Treo650, but I knew what I was getting into with a v1.0 device. But so far it's been a great experience evolving with it.
    voted no

1. Improvement is natural in this market
    2. Pre plus isn't that big a difference than pre
    3. Software upgrade, which is the core of the pre, is coming to pre
    4. Pre hardwares are capable, so more will come
    5. Sprint plan is much better than VZ
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    Still on my launch day pre and been happy since day one. It's fun for me to look forward to little improvements or enhancements from time to time. I'm no power user by any stretch so my experience has been great and getting better with every update. Just downloaded NFS and it's like I have a new phone to play with. When flash and video comes I'll get excited all over again. However the journey with this phone would have never been so much fun without the precentral community I've shared it with. Come June if the pre plus is on Sprint then I'll just upgrade and keep the good times rollin'!
    FYI: My Pre is as plain vanilla as the day it came out of the box...
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    The question would be better as first-gen owners. I got mine in late August/early September right as I was ending my VZW contract. Overall very happy, like it much better than the work-issued blackberry that I carry on the other hip. Chasing a moving target is a set-up for disappointment. If I had waited a tad longer to buy the last car I could have gotten a newer model year with auxillary audio input, but I purchased for needs I had at the time. Pre Plus will either come to Sprint at a later time or there will be a totally new generation of hardware when it is time to upgrade.
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    if verizon didnt get an upgraded pre, they couldnt charge more money for it. (im assuming they will charge more) Sprint has discounted it so much since the release.

also, i'd be upset if i wasnt getting 1.4 Im glad to see them updating the software withOUT making me purchase new hardware.
    I had a Treo 700P before so hell no do I regret moving from that. I knew that there would be growing pains but along with that comes the joy and excitement of brand new developments like Home Brew and now OpenGL and C++. It was obvious to me from the beginning that Palm was serious about this phone and WebOS. You could tell that through the leadership of Jon Rubinstein all the dithering was over, replaced by a clear focus for not just an "iPhone Killer" but something even more innovative.

More importantly the moment you buy an electronic gizmo, the next month there's a better one. So for all the Verizon people who buy the Pre Plus, don't be surprised if AT&T comes out with a Plus Plus or a second generation Pre comes out on Sprint. Basically you have to pull the trigger eventually or sit on the sidelines.
    I'm a "day one buyer" and I have to say I'm pretty disappointed here.

It would be one thing if the Pre Plus was being released 7 months after the Pre's release.
    It's another thing that the Pre Plus is released on a completely different network, with the feel that it may never come to Sprint, 7 months after release of the Pre.

I want Palm to succeed over Apple and Android, honestly, because I like the WebOS format better.
    However, I would appreciate not getting screwed over in the process.

The way it's presented, it almost seems like Palm is "leaving Sprint[therefore Sprint customers] behind".
    Next we will hear that the original Pre "doesn't have enough RAM" to get version 1.4..
    Having regrets for any high tech purchases is really a losing game ... if something better comes out the next day/week, then that's tough to take ... but there will always be something better in a few months and you just have to expect/accept that. Those few months that you have and use the device are usually worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by davis.rob View Post
    Having regrets for any high tech purchases is really a losing game ... if something better comes out the next day/week, then that's tough to take ... but there will always be something better in a few months and you just have to expect/accept that. Those few months that you have and use the device are usually worth it.
    I think there's a difference between "regret" and "disappointment".

I don't "regret" buying the Pre, but I am disappointed in the feel of this from Palm.
    No regrets here. I just wish Palm had placed a magnetometer in the (original) Pre for augmented reality uses. Then again, I'm not sure how nice that would play with frequent Touchstone usage.
    I've had a pre since day one and I would have made the same decision again if I knew verzion was getting the pre plus. Not only I have a pre but I also have a 2G iPhone. As long as the software continues to get updated and patches continue to be made I'm happy. Sprint has great plans and in my opinion offers better service than Verzion. Palm has a great future a head and webos is only going to get better, no matter what network it's on. I can't wait for flash and video recording. So to answer your question no I don't regret having a pre since launch.
    You get your phone before anyone else, and what you get to say, when it becomes popular, are things like "I got that phone way before you did", "I was punching in the Konami code manually into search before they even released an app to do that for you", and everyone's favorite, "Frikkin newbs".

That aside, I got mine early because I knew that as a mobile developer, if I didn't, I would never get around to learning to program the platform early enough to have a shot at a job doing apps for it. I have no problems with my July edition Pre, and since Palm is nice enough to keep pushing updates to me, I have no reason to complain. I don't need a Pre Plus to do development for the platform, and that's a great thing for my pocketbook.
    Seriously, why do people still complain about this? Cars come out every year. Gadgets and phones get updated all the time. The same phones on different carriers have different feature sets and some hardware differences. This is par for the course. Palm is doing what they need to for their business. That's good for us that like the platform. They're advancing their brand and the platform by doing this.

The self-centeredness of being upset about this is ridiculous. Should Palm sit on its hands until those green-eyed monsters among us feel that "it's fair" for Palm to put out a new phone? The changes they made were probably very cost-effective and will help them sell more phones. That's GREAT!! The pre plus is an incremental update to a product that will likely be updated again this year. That it's exclusive to Verizon is part of business. It likely won't be exclusive for more than a few months. If it is, it's probably because there's something new coming for us. I don't really see the downside to this or why it would cause anyone regret. The angst some of you feel about your cell phones is mind-boggling. And this is coming from someone who absolutely loves technology and phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    The way it's presented, it almost seems like Palm is "leaving Sprint[therefore Sprint customers] behind". Next we will hear that the original Pre "doesn't have enough RAM" to get version 1.4..
    FWIW, phone manufacturers almost always have to give the cell companies something "different" on the models that they carry. I think Palm absolutely *had* to get on Verizon for their survival ... Sprint is a fine company for me, but too small to carry Palm alone. So if they had to give Verizon a Plus model in order to get the business, I think that's actually a good thing for Palm users in general. I'm not going to cry about an extra 8gb and no center button.
    Quote Originally Posted by davis.rob View Post
    FWIW, phone manufacturers almost always have to give the cell companies something "different" on the models that they carry. I think Palm absolutely *had* to get on Verizon for their survival ... Sprint is a fine company for me, but too small to carry Palm alone. So if they had to give Verizon a Plus model in order to get the business, I think that's actually a good thing for Palm users in general. I'm not going to cry about an extra 8gb and no center button.
    The RAM and the 8GB are the concerns, I don't care about the center button.

Really the bigger concern is Palm leaving Sprint and more importantly the original Pre customers behind.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by saying Sprint is too small... I don't think their customer base is really any less than any of the other carriers..
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast